Law Quebec Passed Sweeping Legislation to Enforce the use of French.

The classic example is that in France they have "stop" signs, but in Quebec they have "arrét" signs.

<GOT4>

Last edited:
*cringes at the thing being spoken in Quebec called French language*

These are the same people that still enforce "hot dogs" being called "chien chaud" in Canada *cringes again*.

*cringes at the thing being spoken in Quebec called French language*

These are the same people that still enforce "hot dogs" being called "chien chaud" in Canada *cringes again*.

Yeah I find this absolutely ridiculous.

My new favorite one is a "smartphone" being called "téléphone intelligent".

Everybody in the world says smartphone, except in Québec, and "téléphone intelligent" sounds absolutely fucking ridiculous, just like "chien chaud".

Instead of wasting energy trying to turn modern English things into French they should focus on fighting the real bastardisation of the Québecois language, in areas such as car mechanics. Due to North America being dominated by the American car industry, French-speaking garages in Québec traditionally use English words such as "muffler", "wiper", "tires", while these words exist as much in French as they do in English. In fact, France is a leading nation when it comes to engineering. So why the fuck use English words ?

But yeah, OQLF, go after hot-dogs, smartphones and selfies.

So yeah, I have my eyes wide-open, despite being a Québec nationalist.

Yeah I find this absolutely ridiculous.

My new favorite one is a "smartphone" being called "téléphone intelligent".

Everybody in the world says smartphone, except in Québec, and "téléphone intelligent" sounds absolutely fucking ridiculous, just like "chien chaud".

Instead of wasting energy trying to turn modern English things into French they should focus on fighting the real bastardisation of the Québecois language, in areas such as car mechanics. Due to North America being dominated by the American car industry, French-speaking garages in Québec traditionally use English words such as "muffler", "wiper", "tires", while these words exist as much in French as they do in English. In fact, France is a leading nation when it comes to engineering. So why the fuck use English words ?

But yeah, OQLF, go after hot-dogs, smartphones and selfies.

So yeah, I have my eyes wide-open, despite being a Québec nationalist.
I agree 100%. I have never understood the insisting of using some EN words with the addition of a FR article on one hand, with such stubborn literal translations on the other.

I agree 100%. I have never understood the insisting of using some EN words with the addition of a FR article on one hand, with such stubborn literal translations on the other.

Well these two are disconnected.

The former is some low-class vernacular, the latter is what the bureaucrats would want to purge the former.

But all in all I think the OQLF is doing a good job overall, even if they do bring the lols on some issues.

You English-speakers need to understand that Québec Language laws were not born out of some hate for the English or whatever, but rather as a necessary evil to protect our language.

Just look at how potent the English language is around the world and how it is influencial. I currently live in Germany and you wouldn't believe where English has creeped in everyday life.

Now imagine us, who form like 1 % of North America's population. We have the USA to our borders and are literally surrounded by rather homogenous English speakers (I mean Canadians+Americans together). If we don't protect our language we are just fucked.

I understand that it is hard to grasp for someone from that majority culture (I don't mean that as an insult), but this is our reality.

touché

0mrKW_s-200x150.gif

i feel bad for people who have to use pounds and inches

I use my 10 inches on every wench at the Renaissance festival because I have 20 pounds of swinging meat and when I am finished I get a pint of beer and drive home drunk over the speed limit because I can't drive 55 (miles per hour).

But I could see how lesser men would rather give out their member size in centimeters instead of inches.

But have fun with not having any freedom of speech or right to have guns and moving towards totalitarianism metric users.

I use my 10 inches on every wench at the Renaissance festival because I have 20 pounds of swinging meat and when I am finished I get a pint of beer and drive home drunk over the speed limit because I can't drive 55 (miles per hour).

But I could see how lesser men would rather give out their member size in centimeters instead of inches.

But have fun with not having any freedom of speech or right to have guns and moving towards totalitarianism metric users.

lolwut?

Using some pleb measuring units such as ounces and gallons is all about freedom now ?

I'm sympathetic to the cause of wanting to keep ones culture intact, but fighting "anglicisms" is a losing battle. The english language has creeped into every peoples vocabulary to some extent. As has German and French to some extent.Trying to mandate against language creep is arrogance of the highest order and ironic coming from a French culture. N'est ce pas?

I loved Quebec City.

Nothing breaks the ice with a cute friendly bartender like an ID with your very French last name and then explain you're an English speaking 'Merican when they go full French on you.

Back