Q for the veteran fans, has there been a bigger fight than Conor vs Khabib?

Conor Aldo was a much bigger Conor fight.

Good handful of bigger fights all up.

A lot of us living in our bubble in this thread.

I'm an old school fan. Still reminisce about the good old days of Pride and golden age UFC. But the people talking about Randy/Chuck/Fedor/CroCop... in the mind of hardcore buildup... yeah sure. In the OBJECTIVE outside reality of overall interest?

It isn't even close. That's the thing... these things are quantifiable. It doesn't matter how much we philosophize or chat about it. The metrics of the buys and all the rest are objective measurements. And this fight will annihilate all the golden age stuff. That much is obvious. So if we are being objective about this, no... nothing else will be bigger as long as this eclipses Conor/Diaz 2.

Which WME seems dead set on making sure DOESN'T happen by not promoting this fight worth jack-shit, but that is another topic entirely...

GSP/Hughes, GSP/Diaz, Chuck/Randy, Chuck/Tito, Chuck/Rampage, Chuck/Wand, Chuck/Shogun, Machida/Shogun, Rampage/Henderson, Henderson/Shogun...

There's more but those are off the top of my head.

in term of numbers yes. but in recent modern history of mma jones dc 1 was anticipated and awaited like crazy

What do you mean biggest?

Regarding mma fans interest or actual PPV numbers?
Non casual fan interest mainly, but the rest might count towards giving the fight a more important aura for the individual fan too.

everyone who watched mma at the time wanted to see fedor vs cro cop. it was all anyone talked about here. shit even people who didn't watch it knew about it.

granted, the fan base was smaller then, but there really wasn't an mma fan out there who didn't dream about this fight at the time. a couple of years of the build-up helped, too.

and GSP vs penn 2 was huge, penn seemed to have his shit together and was killing people at lightweight, he had legitimate reasons to bitch about how the first fight went, the UFC dished out the cash for the first primetime hype show... it was big.

but more people will watch this fight than either of the above, so i guess this is bigger.

Anderson vs Chael 2
Tony vs Khabib
DC vs Jones 2

All these fights are bigger, imo. And numerous others are bigger, aswell.

Khabib vs Al = 350k ppv buys and only 30k less than DC vs Stipe
Romero vs whittaker + RDA vs Colby + cm punk = 250k ppv buys
men always like the girl that they don't have, they're talking shit about this card because they already got it.
the lightweight is the best weight class and has been stuck since 2016, Khabib,Tony, Conor at the same card, what is better than that ?
nothing
View attachment 435659
Ya I don’t disagree, LW is stacked, but the level of prestige goes up with every weight class. Demetrius Johnson was the most dominant champ ufc ever had, but no one gives a shit, a turbo manlet will never be considered on the same level as Jones, Fedor or Anderson.
You talk about Ppv buys, but what does that represent? Just hype and casual interest. Ronda sold a lot of PPV, so what does that mean? That Ronda vs Sara McMann is a bigger fight than Romero/Whittaker?

Last edited:
From the sports perspective DC vs Jones is bigger IMO. People had no idea who was better and who was going to win. Everything about this felt epic, from the staredown brawl to Jones flipping DC off in the end. I'd love to experience that feeling of a huge, meaningful fight again.

Second fight was huge as well, but this time I was confident in JJ's victory.

Bork - overeem was pretty big.
I remember thinking after that fight that overeem was going to get the belt easily
but then he ran out of horse steaks
Silva - weidman was big also
lots of fights

It is definitely one of the biggest.
Biggest star in MMA history against one of the most dominant fighters ever.
Lots of drama after what happened with Artem and the bus incident.
Totally contrasting styles and almost impossible to predict. Despite the ranting and raving on here, McGregor could definitely get the KO and Khabib could definitely mash Conor for five rounds. It's going to be compelling.

Cant wait.

Back