Q for the veteran fans, has there been a bigger fight than Conor vs Khabib?

DC Jones 2

I’m so confused by people saying this. I felt DC vs Jones 1 was bigger, maybe not with hardcores but with general mma fans and media. Their press conference fight was even reported on major sports tv shows like ESPN. DC vs Jones slightly more ppv buys but the card was STACKED. If DC vs Jones 1 had a stacked card like that I think it would’ve gotten close 1 mill buys.

I felt that Aldo vs McGregor was bigger and more hyped with the world tour and McGregor being a more active fight - albeit not as known as today

Some good examples so far.

Even for Conor his fight with Aldo was pretty big at the time, with the build up all the way to the aftermath.

81ebL3wqIXL._SY445_.jpg

The reality is Conor is a much bigger star than everyone you mentioned. Coming back after a layoff. Against an undefeated champion. They may not be doing a world tour but Conor himself makes this a much bigger fight than most you list.

Good point but I think people underestimate how big of stars Liddell, Couture and Brock were. I literally have 65 year uncles who are general sports fans but not mma fans at all and they know who Liddell and Couture are (and still ask about them when we talk mma and boxing lol).

And it’s weird because yeah Conor is a big star but in my group of friends no one has been texting me about this fight or planning a fight party or anything. None of them even knew about it until I told them. That was odd to me. And none of them know who Khabib is, they just know Conor threw a dolly at a bus a while back but don’t know why. If you get out there and talk to casuals I think you’d be surprised how little they are aware of this fight.

Maybe because I was there but 194 was bigger imo

Nothing will ever top Anderson Silva vs Chael Sonnen 2 in my eyes. The hype was so insane

Maybe but...

Fedor and crocop was huge for me

The thought of chuck and wanderlei

Hughes and penn rematch (I always thought their first fight was a one-off).

The thought of gsp and anderson was also huge for me.

Honestly, I don’t feel like this is the biggest fight at all, I guess with Conor’s fame it should be but I just don’t feel that vibe or intrigue at all.

Maybe it’s because I feel it will be a blowout, I mean Conor got finished in 2 of his last 4 fights, arguably lost 3 of them and that mistique is long gone. I see it as a straight forward striker vs grappler matchup, with the outcome being same as the Barboza Fight, outside a punchers chance which I guess everyone has.

Plus we’re talking LW’s here, and like it or not they just matter much less than the bigger weight classes.

To me the biggest fight is still Fedor vs the guy in your avatar.

Khabib vs Al = 350k ppv buys and only 30k less than DC vs Stipe
Romero vs whittaker + RDA vs Colby + cm punk = 250k ppv buys
men always like the girl that they don't have, they're talking shit about this card because they already got it.
the lightweight is the best weight class and has been stuck since 2016, Khabib,Tony, Conor at the same card, what is better than that ?
nothing
giphy (1).gif

McGregor Aldo had a months long world tour, I haven't seen a single promo for this yet and its a few weeks away lol

I am going to say two. Maybe not as big PPV sales wise, gate and overall hype, with social media all that is amped a lot more. But considering a few factors, prime vs prime, legacy of fighters, overall significance of the fight, hype in the media and how big the fight was in relation to others at the time.

1. Fedor vs Cro Cop

This fight was talked about for 3 years before it happened. Both guys were big stars in Pride and Japan and both had a great legacy already. They really built that fight up year after year, first it was talked about when Cro Cop fought Nog but lost, then they were suppose to face each other in he Pride HW gp and CC got KO'd by Randlman. Then CC went through elimination fights with direction Fedor was next.

2. Randy vs Chuck 2/3

Chuck was a star and multiple defenses, Randy was a former HW and LHW champ and a big name. Two of biggest stars of the UFCs firs half of 2000's decade. This really was the UFCs first mega fight.

Ufc 6 was the first event i got on ppv. My parents let me use my paper route money to order it when I was 13. Surprised a lot of fights havent been mentioned. Tito vs Ken 1 was, at the time, easily the biggest fight ever. It ushered in so many new fans and really propelled UFC into the mainstream. Tito vs Chuck 1 was also mega. I feel like time hasnt been kind to Titos legacy, but he was a massive star in his era.

I'm pretty sure the most hyped Brock fight was vs carwin which no one has mentioned. Brock was champ and carwin was undefeated on a KO spree. It was a total clash of the Titans billing.

Also Edgar/Maynard 2 was pretty huge. Both lived up to the hype.

I'm pretty sure the most hyped Brock fight was vs carwin which no one has mentioned. Brock was champ and carwin was undefeated on a KO spree. It was a total clash of the Titans billing.

Also Edgar/Maynard 2 was pretty huge. Both lived up to the hype.
yeah lesnar vs carwin was def lesnars biggest fight. and i think the ticket sales reflect that other than ufc 100 because that had gsp on it as well.

Fedor vs Cro-Cop was absolutely huge. I remember being on this board and waiting for updates in the middle of the night from those who were lucky enough to be able to watch it. I also remember Cro-Cop vs Wand in the Pride Open Weight GP. Looking back, it seems like all the Pride events were huge. I can probably name at least 20 UFC events that I was more excited about than this one. They've lost the "big event" feel nowadays it seems because of too many cards, too many weight classes, and little or no promotion. Hell I'd put Gina Carrano vs Cyborg above this one.

Fedor vs CroCop & Fedor vs Tim Sylvia were very big fights.

Back