Q&A on Thailand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah i've heard good things about Koh Tao. Is it an expensive place? Are there alot of tourists? I'm looking for a nice inexpensive beach town and too touristy. Any suggestions.

Phuket is the largest island in Thailand, Ko Chang is the second largest. It may not feel like a smaller Island because its so big. Ko Tao is one of the smaller islands, I dont know about any boxing camps there. Islands will always be more expensive than land, I lived on one for a year and had to bring everything in by ferry, it was expensive.

Ko Tao is more famous for diving, Ko Samui has boxing camps and feels like a island if that's what your looking for. Basically you have Bangkok/Pattaya, Phuket, and Chaing Mai, as far as boxing destinations. Outside of that you have a bunch of smaller camps scattered throughout Thailand. Personally I prefer the Isaan area, great prices, in the country, not as commercial as far as tourism. If you do your homework you can train anywhere in Thailand, some places just offer more or less comforts and focus, Muay Thai is everywhere.

How is phucket not an Island? Just because in Thai they dropped the "ko" doesn't mean it's not an island.

Why are you spelling Phuket with a "C" :icon_chee JK I don't see how the other poster can claim it's not an island.:icon_sad:

So I see a flight in Mid-March from Toronto to Bangkok for $1220.

Is that a good price? I think I might take it.

I'm not sure about Canada, but that would be an okay price to me, flying out of the east coast of the U.S. February and March are allegedly the cheapest months to buy airline tickets.

Also, if you're using a flight aggregator like Expedia or Orbitz, try running the same flight from the carrier's website; I've saved a few bucks that way before. For instance, Expedia may report that United has a flight on a particular day for say $1200, while running the same exact flight on United's website may show available seats for $1020. Give it a shot.

That's a good price. I paid $1200 in 2007, $1400 in 2008, $1000 in 2009, found a sweet deal for this March for $900, and cashed in my United miles for a free ticket in June. All from Washington DC to Bangkok.

For those of you that have been to sinbi is there someplace safe I can keep a camera, cash and a laptop? Do we get secure lockers in our room? Are the cleaners trustworthy?

I'm sure the people I share a room with are trustworthy and so are the cleaners but you never know. I'm going to take a suitcase with a padlock but someone can still wander off with a suitcase.

The cleaners are trustworthy. Dont worry about you stuff. Just don't leave anything in plain sight. The doors lock when you close them.

Sometimes I use a bicycle lock to attach a gym bag to the bleachers so nobody walks off with it. You can do the same in a room just to keep honest people honest but it will not stop a determined thief.

There are also tourist who end up over here and want to stay but dont have money, they will steal everything you've got. Most any place should have a lock box and a security guard at the front desk at night for passports and credit cards.

For those of you that have been to sinbi is there someplace safe I can keep a camera, cash and a laptop? Do we get secure lockers in our room? Are the cleaners trustworthy?

I'm sure the people I share a room with are trustworthy and so are the cleaners but you never know. I'm going to take a suitcase with a padlock but someone can still wander off with a suitcase.

Yeah i wouldnt think the people you are staying with are trustworthy. I've had more stuff stolen in the west than i have in thailand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back