Q&A on Thailand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Payak

Brown Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
many people here have trained in muay thai in Thailand,some want to.
I have notice a huge increase in sherdoggers wanting to head to the land of smiles and asking many questions.
I have set up this thread for those who have not been and have any questions to ask.
the ones who have been to thailand can answer.
ask about anything from camps to clubs,costs to food,anything at all.
to those who have been,share your experiences with others as we all have different experiences.
we should encourage others to experience muay thai in the motherland.
ask anything,even if it sounds like a stupid question.
remember,anyone who has been can answer,your experience is welcome.

I'll start. What's the average airline ticket (round trip) to Thailand? What time of the year is the cheapest way to fly?

round trip from where,lol.

Depends on location but the cheapest time to get your ticket is 2-3 months in advance and that too before "low" season which I believe in May-September. Less tourists, lower prices, better training.

more women

best to go when its not to hot.

When is the summer months in Thailand? and on slow season how much can I expect to pay for the plane ticket?

Can't answer the plane fee question unless you tell us where you are flying to thailand from.

how do I minimize as much as possible the risk of getting sick or injured?

what is the minimum amount of money per month for training, food, and housing in the cheaper areas in your experience?

how hard is the training? is it just challenging enough, or is it "oh my goodness I'm gonna puke and can't move me legs" tough?

what do Thais like as gifts? I'm thinkin about buying the trainers some t-shirts at the swap meet before I go.

how heavy do I need to be to avoid fighting a Thai if I end up fighting out there? :D

what is the minimum amount of money per month for training, food, and housing in the cheaper areas in your experience?

how hard is the training? is it just challenging enough, or is it "oh my goodness I'm gonna puke and can't move me legs" tough?

what do Thais like as gifts? I'm thinkin about buying the trainers some t-shirts at the swap meet before I go.

how heavy do I need to be to avoid fighting a Thai if I end up fighting out there? :D

Don't drink out of the water bucket at the gym. Be sure to eat at a place with a lot of people eating there. The food will be fresher. Wash your water bottle with soap every day. Don't clinch with anyone who has open sores or is sick.

Cost depends where you go. Pai, Mae Hong Song will be much cheaper than Phuket.

Training can be very very hard or fairly easy. It really depends on you. If you skip the morning runs, the trainers will not take you very seriously and you will get a lot of busy work. If you show proper respect and take training serious, you will get more tips and techniques than you will know what to do with. Just know you are not going to impress any of the trainers...lol

Most of the trainers like whiskey :) That's what I get them as a gift before I leave.

When is the summer months in Thailand? and on slow
season how much can I expect to pay for the plane ticket?

April is extremely hot, the other months are just very hot.

hard to avoid getting sick, it usually only lasts a few hours most times, just work and sweat it out, camp food is clean.
training varies in cost from region to region and camp to camp,
find some camps your interested in then go to there website and compare prices, in issan you will only pay about $400 per month US for training,accom,and food.
the training is as hard as you want to make it,if your serious about it, it will be hard but the trainers will not hold your hand unless your serious.
you can get a fight no problem regardless of your weight.
as for gifts i usually give a cash tip when i leave to my trainer, most give 3oo0 BHT

also, how easy is it to find book stores with stuff written in English?

most book stores in the cities have a mix of english books,not to many however.

before people head to thailand you must understand the majority of trainers deal with 90% of farang who are lazy in training.
most farang wind up putting 100% into there nights out 7 nights a week and come in with hangovers and struggle to finish any given task.
the lure of the thai woman is hard for many westerners to avoid as they just cannot believe how many beautiful woman they are getting, its not unusual to get 4 a day.
the trainers are underpaid and will only work you if you show them your serious.
don't fall into the furry trap, leave the partying for saturday nights,but do it as it's a good break from training.
tell the trainer what you want.
when the traing gets tough i notice more and more people skipping morning sessions completely and getting there workouts at patpong.
to much camp life does your head in,so make the most of saturday nights and dont feel guilty about that, you have sundays to recover.

Does anyone know at which camp Apidej Sit Hiruin trains? If I'm going to spend the money to go to Thailand I'd like to train with him

i trained with apidej many times,he retired in in january.
he was at fairtex Bang phlee.
sorry,but your a little to late.

before people head to thailand you must understand the majority of trainers deal with 90% of farang who are lazy in training.
most farang wind up putting 100% into there nights out 7 nights a week and come in with hangovers and struggle to finish any given task.
the lure of the thai woman is hard for many westerners to avoid as they just cannot believe how many beautiful woman they are getting, its not unusual to get 4 a day.
the trainers are underpaid and will only work you if you show them your serious.
don't fall into the furry trap, leave the partying for saturday nights,but do it as it's a good break from training.
tell the trainer what you want.
when the traing gets tough i notice more and more people skipping morning sessions completely and getting there workouts at patpong.
to much camp life does your head in,so make the most of saturday nights and dont feel guilty about that, you have sundays to recover.

Meet me at the air port, I'm on my way.

I'm convinced there are so many "questions about Thailand" thread because I think most Sherdoggers want to stealth brag about their trip.

I'm convinced there are so many "questions about Thailand" thread because I think most Sherdoggers want to stealth brag about their trip.

I think there are so many posts like these because most sherdoggers are jealous of others who have been to Thailand

I have a cousin in Thailand who lives in Bangkok. I've talked to her and said that I could live w/ her if I wanted.

My questions are -

- What kind of income could I do to supplement training, would I be able to get a job teaching English?

- Is there any good training in Bangkok that caters to those looking to train hard as opposed to farang money traps?

Thanks

- What kind of income could I do to supplement training, would I be able to get a job teaching English?

Thailand is full of drunken foreign whoremongers who can pull it together long enough for a couple hours in the day to teach English. It's very competitive to get student for private lessons (even ones that don't pay well).

If you were certified to teach English through a major certification body and had experience, you could probably get a "real" job teaching English, but they'd expect you to work all day - not train Muay Thai. And the pay would still be poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back