• Freddy Krueger

• Jason Vorhees

• Leatherface

• Pinhead

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
46980-1319830.png

Superman is a fucking dork. I'll never understand the appeal.
This is the mindset of the people making the movies, and thusly it creates a self-fulfilling prophecy on screen (see also Fox and the Fantastic Four). Imagine if Marvel felt the same about Captain America (a much trickier character to adapt).

Superman invented the entire genre. The story merged classical mythic elements, religious texts, and the American immigrant story into a perfect synthesis. It embodies dozens of compelling themes and ideas and could easily be made into a modern and intriguing film series.

As a pure character his dichotomy is fascinating. He is torn apart by the desire to fit in to the point where he neglects his advantages in order that only the human element can shine through. This would be a fascinating story without any cultural overtones, all of which would add intrigue.

This is the mindset of the people making the movies, and thusly it creates a self-fulfilling prophecy on screen (see also Fox and the Fantastic Four). Imagine if Marvel felt the same about Captain America (a much trickier character to adapt).

Superman invented the entire genre. The story merged classical mythic elements, religious texts, and the American immigrant story into a perfect synthesis. It embodies dozens of compelling themes and ideas and could easily be made into a modern and intriguing film series.

As a pure character his dichotomy is fascinating. He is torn apart by the desire to fit in to the point where he neglects his advantages in order that only the human element can shine through. This would be a fascinating story without any cultural overtones, all of which would add intrigue.
giphy.gif

I’m excited for the ppv tonight. I’m volunteering and doing some outreach showing kids some science experiments till 8 so I’ll have to DVR and start late. I don’t know how you people on the east coast usually start ppvs at 10

Captain America hard to adapt? Hardly.

The latest shit where he basically went Hydra/Hitler was god awful

that said, I ampumped for the UFC PPV tonight, i havent watched a PPV since hte Jones/DC debacle and this one got me hyped. Probably going down to Cincinnati to watch it I think, my buddy having a big party

Captain America hard to adapt? Hardly.

The latest shit where he basically went Hydra/Hitler was god awful

that said, I ampumped for the UFC PPV tonight, i havent watched a PPV since hte Jones/DC debacle and this one got me hyped. Probably going down to Cincinnati to watch it I think, my buddy having a big party
This is one problem right here, Marvel has done such a good job for so long no one remembers how impossible it once seemed to adapt Captain America. People thought it ridiculous that his movie would come against Green Lantern and the same summer as Thor.

His character was a propaganda piece that was seventy years old. His origin is largely encased in a period piece and he starts as a character that is physically pathetic (and the special effects struggled to make this work). The best incarnation is the man out of time but that was based on inserting him into the relatively familiar early 60's (he met JFK while he was still alive IRL in the comic) and then having him experience in real time the changes of the era (try that directly on film).

This means it took a whole TRILOGY just to start to get there (TWS would normally be the last appearance of a traditional superhero trilogy) and every single film was a different genre. Not only that but he needed to be birthed into a strong foundation otherwise the series would lose every supporting character (not exactly sequel friendly).

Also he is even less tortured and more square than even Superman. Not only that since foreigners are a huge component of the box office the filmmakers had to contend against inherent national bias. Adapting Cap should be very hard and Superman very easy.

WWI itself is not as eventful but the buildup was crazy. Everyone in the world just knew that something was going to happen to push the world into war and waiting for the powder keg to explode. Then one single event triggers the death of millions.

Ant-man was ok...I was half out of the movie from the word go when they decided to focus on Lang & not Pym though.
When they had Tony create Ultron instead of Pym it took the majority of Pym's story out of the window.

Hard to make a super hero movie about a wife beater who goes insane.

This is one problem right here, Marvel has done such a good job for so long no one remembers how impossible it once seemed to adapt Captain America. People thought it ridiculous that his movie would come against Green Lantern and the same summer as Thor.

His character was a propaganda piece that was seventy years old. His origin is largely encased in a period piece and he starts as a character that is physically pathetic (and the special effects struggled to make this work). The best incarnation is the man out of time but that was based on inserting him into the relatively familiar early 60's (he met JFK while he was still alive IRL in the comic) and then having him experience in real time the changes of the era (try that directly on film).

This means it took a whole TRILOGY just to start to get there (TWS would normally be the last appearance of a traditional superhero trilogy) and every single film was a different genre. Not only that but he needed to be birthed into a strong foundation otherwise the series would lose every supporting character (not exactly sequel friendly).

Also he is even less tortured and more square than even Superman. Not only that since foreigners are a huge component of the box office the filmmakers had to contend against inherent national bias. Adapting Cap should be very hard and Superman very easy.

shut the hell up

edit: i actually read your post. superman is boring af though bc he can literally just throw any opponent into the sun. superman is boring, wouldnt mind seeing red son get adapted. cap is awesome, goat marvel character although they goofed him w/ the latest story.

Bobby+Heenan+okay.gif

superman is boring af though bc he can literally just throw any opponent into the sun.

But he doesn't throw opponents into the sun, even when it might be the right course of action - and he's conflicted about it.

When they had Tony create Ultron instead of Pym it took the majority of Pym's story out of the window.

Hard to make a super hero movie about a wife beater who goes insane.

Yeah...Age of Ultron isn't a film I was particularly fond of. I'm hoping we get a Pym prequel at some point...He was always a better character.

But he doesn't throw opponents into the sun, even when it might be the right course of action - and he's conflicted about it.

B O R I N G and not nearly as good as Batman being conflicted about not killing joker.

he loses to batman with prep time, what fucking nerd
all-star superman best superman story there is

People who don't like Superman usually have inferiority complexes.

This, his desire to not be an overlord. To be a part of a flawed whole, to resist the inhumanity of perfectionism that doomed Krypton.

Also the Supes is too powerful argument falls down in a universe with creatures that dwarf him in power. They could not only resist being thrown into the sun but walk on its surface.

Today I learned if you died in your home your dog or cat would eat your face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back