Putting on 10 pounds with just bodyweight?

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
I have experience with lifting and know that it is a efficient way to put on mass, but I want to try and see the difference strictly body-weight stuff would do, and how much mass I could put on. Things I can always do without a gym.

I currently weigh 145 pounds. I hit the heavy bag 20 minutes a day, but I haven't been doing any strength and conditioning. What can I do to put on 10 pounds of mass without touching weights?
(except weighted vest push and pull ups)

I bet if you just simply eat more without any exercise you'll gain weight.

+1 for eating more and moving less. Usually does the trick.

No special or certain workout will help you gain weight. But I have the names of a few personal trainers you should consult: Ronald McDonald, Colonel Sanders, Papa John, Lil Debbie, and Samuel Adams.

Eat and read the FAQs.

And if this is shitty troll thread, which it appears, stop.

Doing cardio and not lifting will be a very long road to goal.

Take in more calories than you're burning. And don't try to gain it in a month.

If you absolutely have to poop, eat it after, so nothing goes to waste.
UjR5fwN.gif

Normally it would depend in part on how difficult it currently is for you to perform these movements. But since your using a weight vest it wont be any harder to gain muscle mass with calisthenics than it would be with barbells and dumbbells.

If you absolutely have to poop, eat it after, so nothing goes to waste.

Kids, this is what happens with people who read too many times "Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom".

Reading is bad, mkay?
Do drugs instead!

tumblr_n4pdbyAVRt1qfrkf9o4_250.gif

No special or certain workout will help you gain weight. But I have the names of a few personal trainers you should consult: Ronald McDonald, Colonel Sanders, Papa John, Lil Debbie, and Samuel Adams.

I prefer Samuel Jackson. It'll get you drunk!

You can bulk on calisthenics but you need to do a real routine not just chins and regular pushups. Check out r/bodyweightfitness

You can bulk on calisthenics but you need to do a real routine not just chins and regular pushups. Check out r/bodyweightfitness
But pull-ups would be one of my go to if I was trying to add lean mass using body weights movement....

Can be overloaded. CHECK
Can be variated through different grips and width. CHECK
Can be performed almost anywhere. CHECK
Compound movement. CHECK

giphy.gif
url

But pull-ups would be one of my go to if I was trying to add lean mass using body weights movement....

Can be overloaded. CHECK
Can be variated through different grips and width. CHECK
Can be performed almost anywhere. CHECK
Compound movement. CHECK

giphy.gif

url
Pullups are good, but they cover only one plane and one movement (pulling). There are exercises that meet your criteria to cover pushing and pulling both vertically and horizontally which a well designed program will include.

something like
warmup/ L-sits/bodyline work
skillwork (handstands etc (important for harder variation in progressions)
Pullup progression (weighted or one-arm)
headstand pushup progression - vertical pushing
one-arm or planche pushup progression - horizontal pushing
some kind of horizontal pulling maybe ring dip *or front lever progression

I lifted quite a bit in the past, got up to 165ish and I started doing BJJ. Stopped lifting and started doing more cardio and I have since shrunk down to 145 over the past few years.

I definitely want to put on some more mass, but my dilemma was weight classes. I would like to eventually fight amateur and go to grappling tournaments, but I am not sure if I should go with 135 or 145. I could fight at 135 and cut less then 10 pounds, or I could bulk up 10-15 pounds and go to 145. I know I will put on more weight as I approach my thirties, I wanted to try a different approach as I have done lifting in the past.

Being weak against guys my size wasn't the issue, its that I had poor cardio, and that is why I started doing a lot more of it.

Last edited:
Back