Purported photo of Jesse James bought for $10 on eBay, could be worth $2 million

G

Guestx

I bet dude was like, "Score!"

A mysterious 19th-century photograph bought on eBay for just $10 could be worth $2 million after experts identified it as an extremely rare portrait of infamous outlaw Jesse James.

Justin Whiting, who lives in Spalding, U.K., bought the tintype for just 7 U.K. pounds ($10) in July 2017. He noticed a marked similarity between the youth in the picture and a photo of James in a book.

Described as a sort of “19th-century Polaroid,” tintype photos were created by applying chemicals to a thin metal sheet.

“I noticed the picture for sale — it was $10. It was a bit blurry on the site but when I got it, it was a lot clearer,” he said, according to SWNS. “I thought to myself: ‘Gee wizz, this could be a real photo!’ I’ve been obsessed with American outlaws for years and read lots of books and study their faces.”

Prompted by friends, Whiting contacted forensic experts in the U.S., who analyzed the picture. The collector, who has been out of work since 2003 as a result of back problems, has been told that the photo could be worth at least $2 million, SWNS reports.

Full article here, with more info: http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018...-on-ebay-for-10-could-be-worth-2-million.html

1521481243553.jpg

1521481621139.jpg

Literally like winning the lottery. Can you imagine?
I dream stuff like this all the time.

I remember reading about a dude that found a jaeger le coultre watch at a goodwill for less than $10 or so, and the watch ended up being worth about $35k.

Ever since i read that, i frequent goodwills.

I remember reading about a dude that found a jaeger le coultre watch at a goodwill for less than $10 or so, and the watch ended up being worth about $35k.

I'm sure there's all kinds of valuable stuff that pass through Goodwill and other such operations--flea markets, yard sales, eBay--whose value never gets noticed and they just end up sitting on some random person's shelf or at the bottom of a bin in the attic.

This story about the Jesse James photo reminds me a lot of this story from just a few years ago about a photo of Billy the Kid:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/oct/13/billy-the-kid-croquet-junk-shop-two-dollars

NatGeo even did a whole documentary on this photo, which I would recommend if you get into stories like this.

51feXAkwnkL._SY445_.jpg

This guy lives like 15 minutes from me.

This shit hits even harder when it's close to home :mad:

I used to work with a guy who would buy antiques and resell them. Most people didn't get what they were worth because they were in the wrong category. He made some good money doing that.

Its only worth what someone pays for it

But still, crazy good buy lol

There's a lot of things a guy will do at knifepoint bro. Like add you to a will

Out of curiosity, what is the awareness of Wild West stuff over there in the UK?

Obviously here in the US there are a lot of people who are fascinated with that time in our history, but I can't claim to know how much people in other countries pay attention to it.

There's a lot of things a guy will do at knifepoint bro. Like add you to a will
I'm half tempted to drive up there and get the pic then sell it and take all Sherbros to UFC 223

Out of curiosity, what is the awareness of Wild West stuff over there in the UK?

Obviously here in the US there are a lot of people who are fascinated with that time in our history, but I can't claim to know how much people in other countries pay attention to it.
Hmm it's not major but the classic Western films and guys like John Wayne and Clint Eastwood are loved here so it brings more spotlight to that era and people are well aware of it but not in depth.

But i've never know it to go much past a few conversations about your favourite Western.

I actually personally find that era fascinating and amazing, the outfits, the accent, landscape it's incredible and I love The assassination of Jesse James film. It's just so cool!

Hmm it's not major but the classic Western films and guys like John Wayne and Clint Eastwood are loved here so it brings more spotlight to that era and people are well aware of it but not in depth.

But i've never know it to go much past a few conversations about your favourite Western.

I actually personally find that era fascinating and amazing, the outfits, the accent, landscape it's incredible and I love The assassination of Jesse James film. It's just so cool!

Yeah, living here in Utah as I do, which is right in the middle of what was once the Wild West, I've developed a real fascination with the history. It's very interesting.

And you're right about The Assassination of Jesse James. That film is way underrated.

$2million for a picture that I can see right here on sherdog for free? Pass.

Yeah, living here in Utah as I do, which is right in the middle of what was once the Wild West, I've developed a real fascination with the history. It's very interesting.

And you're right about The Assassination of Jesse James. That films is way underrated.
I am seriously jealous man, I dream about going to places like that with such beautiful landscape and such rich history, I'm the type of geek who would get goosebumps standing on a site where an outlaw battle once happened lol

Look at this..

utah-national-parks-featured.jpg

UT.png

Absolutely gorgeous, I actually would go as far as saying that time period is the most interesting in history, look how many films, games etc. it has spawned.

North America is definately the most beautiful country in the World.

I am seriously jealous man, I dream about going to places like that with such beautiful landscape and such rich history, I'm the type of geek who would get goosebumps standing on a site where an outlaw battle once happened lol

Look at this..

utah-national-parks-featured.jpg

UT.png

Absolutely gorgeous, I actually would go as far as saying that time period is the most interesting in history, look how many films, games etc. it has spawned.

North America is definately the most beautiful country in the World.

We have a National Forest just outside the city here and I've gone up into the mountains and seen some pretty awesome stuff.

For instance, a little while back I hiked up to this spot, Lake Blanche:

7440566054_68d889f433_b.jpg

But I wasn't born in Utah and moved here a little while back, so there's still a lot of stuff that I haven't seen in person. Those pictures are from down in southern Utah, probably in the National Parks that are down there. It's amazing stuff. I intend to get down there as soon as I can.

It's crazy how much history there is right around here. Lately I've been researching the Pony Express, which is a fascinating subject. And I've been meaning to get up to Promontory Summit, which is where the transcontinental railroad was completed.

As for North America, in terms of the landscape, I think what is most interesting is just how varied it is. You have everything from mountains to prairies to swamp land to beaches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back