Purple to Brown - bjj?

peregrine

Kahuna Dog
@Brown
Reaction score
What does it take to get from purple to brown in bjj?

Responses form everyone appreciated. But please if you respond atleast mention what belt you are, well articulated response greatly appreciated.

What does it take to get from purple to brown in bjj?

Responses form everyone appreciated. But please if you respond atleast mention what belt you are, well articulated response greatly appreciated.

A couple thousand hours of practice. Alot of it depends on your instructors, and who's doing the promoting. I'm led to believe this is a pretty big jump.

Purple to brown is a huge upgrade. Purple you're already in the BJJ few, very well respected across the board. Gyms will fight over you to keep you.

At brown, you have given your loyalty to one instructor, and will most likely always be associated with him until he gives you your black.

This is how I see it. That loyalty, on top of skill development, takes a while.

Purple to brown is a huge upgrade. Purple you're already in the BJJ few, very well respected across the board. Gyms will fight over you to keep you.

At brown, you have given your loyalty to one instructor, and will most likely always be associated with him until he gives you your black.

This is how I see it. That loyalty, on top of skill development, takes a while.

I personally felt this when I got my purple.

Purple to Brown - Here is what Im working on -

Ive got very little Judo - What I do have is getting refined and polished. Im finding the holes I have in my standup game and trying to fill them so that by the time I go to the Masters in Rio next year, I have a limited, but secure standup and takedown game.

Im putting my grappling together into a jigsaw. Ive got the main pictures, some of the background, Im connecting it all together. Submission chains, interspersed with transition chains. Im intensly studying peoples reactions to my movements

I am working on my fitness/conditioning/strength. I feel I owe it to my belt, to me, and to my Instructor. I dont want my fitness to let my game down. I get plenty of time at work to do extra cardio/weights, so Ive quit being a lazy fuck and am doing what a purple belt should be doing, fixing something that has never been perfect in my game, a hole, my fitness.

Footlocks - Ive been meaing to ask this of Gerbil, as he has been through this transition. I want a reasonable footlock game, before I get to Brown belt as I dont want to flounder in that particular area, when the time comes. The Purple to Brown transition is the one with the largest increase in your arsenal of weapons i think? At least in things that I lack.

Maybe theres more, I bloody hope not, Ive been a purple belt for just shy of 2 years and im putting in lots of effort, not sure how much more "fixing" I can manage.

I notice im one of the few to reply already, I looking forward to seeing what the others have to say!!

I personally felt this when I got my purple.

Purple to Brown - Here is what Im working on -

Ive got very little Judo - What I do have is getting refined and polished. Im finding the holes I have in my standup game and trying to fill them so that by the time I go to the Masters in Rio next year, I have a limited, but secure standup and takedown game.

Im putting my grappling together into a jigsaw. Ive got the main pictures, some of the background, Im connecting it all together. Submission chains, interspersed with transition chains. Im intensly studying peoples reactions to my movements

I am working on my fitness/conditioning/strength. I feel I owe it to my belt, to me, and to my Instructor. I dont want my fitness to let my game down. I get plenty of time at work to do extra cardio/weights, so Ive quit being a lazy fuck and am doing what a purple belt should be doing, fixing something that has never been perfect in my game, a hole, my fitness.

Footlocks - Ive been meaing to ask this of Gerbil, as he has been through this transition. I want a reasonable footlock game, before I get to Brown belt as I dont want to flounder in that particular area, when the time comes. The Purple to Brown transition is the one with the largest increase in your arsenal of weapons i think? At least in things that I lack.

Maybe theres more, I bloody hope not, Ive been a purple belt for just shy of 2 years and im putting in lots of effort, not sure how much more "fixing" I can manage.

I notice im one of the few to reply already, I looking forward to seeing what the others have to say!!

Good post...

TS, I have been thinking about this question and I can't seem to find an answer for you.

Brown seemed to be a no pressure transition. I did not feel like I had a target on my back at all. It's more like a maturity process. I have been a "veteran" at my school for a while. Overcoming adversity, training when tired, using technique and not strength: These things pushed me to the brown belt level.

(oh, and doing well at comps)

Last edited:
As a purple, what I'm trying to do is really fill in the weak points of my game. As you get more advanced, I wouldn't say that your weaknesses become fewer, because you know more about grappling and find that you can identify more weaknesses. But the weaknesses become more specific. Defeating this counter. Defending this leglock. Countering a particular type of pass that gives you trouble. In my opinion by the time you reach brown belt you don't really have holes in your game. Sure you have your strengths and specialties, but no gaps. Then brown to black is a period of constant refinement and perfection.

There's also a lot of time involved. Lots and lots of time. I'm nowhere close.

I'm learning to teach, learning to ref, exploring my strengths and weaknesses. Playing around with funky stuff. At some point maybe get back to the basics, who knows?

TS if you are looking for some kind of bullet-pointed list, there is no such thing.

Online Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Training - BJJ Coach Marcello Monteiro - Step by Step BJJ Curriculum

Marcello has a really specific set of moves to know and be able to apply between each belt. Might give you a more literal idea of the difference between a purple and a brown belt. Though the way he names moves, its hard to know what he's refering to without the video, which is super expensive. lol

lol try being in one of his classes... Marcello has been my coach for 4 years now... he doesn't really eve name anything, he just shows the techniques, says what level it is and we practice it...

He doesn't judge it just on what techniques you know... he looks at how long you have been training, how you do when you compete, if you compete (competition isn't required, it's encouraged for the people interested in doing it.) he also looks at how you progress as an individual, and how you progress in the team.

At purple, I feel like I have my game pretty dialed in. No matter what position I end up, I have a solid response that not only keeps me out of danger but makes sure I'm on the offensive.

To take myself to the next level I am-
Working takedowns
Training with wrestlers and grapplers from other traditions; tightening up my game to work on them and getting some fresh perspective
Competing as much as possible
Focusing on my body control and movements- which makes drilling, training and adding to my game easier across the board.

I was told once that being a brown belt meant one area of your game was at black belt level. Not sure I believe in that as a benchmark, but it's food for thought.

I think Flameboy gave a great response, specifically talking about weaknesses.
Thank you for your repsonse and reminding me, it helped me articulate it and
gave me some things to think about.

A low purple may have a couple of solid games to play and should have a decent idea of a conceptual approach to bjj and an ability to analyze techniques and game. But he likely still has holes in certain parts of his game. These holes to evolve from a low purple to high purple take time to fill. For example a low purple may have a solid guard game, but a weak takedown game. Rating each position on a scale of 1-100 his takedown game may be more equivalent to 15 or a mid level white while his guard game may be at low brown level or 65. Putting in 1000hours of guard work may only equate to a small increase in the guard, while those same 1000hours into takedowns may bring that aspect of the game up to a more reasonable level. Another low purple may have great takedowns coming from a wrestling history, but be less fluid with the guard.
While the high purple may have filled most of these gaps/games, some stronger than others, but he has more ability from various positions in general. Chains are more fluid and oppurutunity is capitalized on with more efficency. Whether they be escapes, transitions or submissions.

As for techniques a purple vs a brown should know.
*The old saying a purple is a black with less refinement is one philosophy.
*Then there could be a set currciuclum for a certain school.

What do you guys think of this philosophy?
Having several attacks or defenses from each position that one is able to chain whether they be submissions, transitions or escapes with the ability to pull them off. In relation to the origianl thread maybe the purple has less of the above with some holes in certain areas, but if he gets into his niche game he is able to impose his will to a certain point that is why he is still a legitimate threat to anyone in the gym, blacks included. From a bjj understanding the purple is beginning to understand and able to articulate bjj from a conceptual standpoint making it work on the mat at times, while the brown has more conceptual breadth with the black has much more depth on viewing bjj conceptually. As for belts of hobbyist vs competitor I think a lot of it has to do with attributes - fitness, athleticism, youth and ultimately the instructors interpretation of the ability of the student to understand aor communicate said instructors view of bjj.

fire away...

I totally agree, and feel, the comment about the niche game. Short answer, I'm trying to be that dangerous from as many places as possible.

about 2.5 years or earlier if you are good at competition.

I am purple.

what i have been told to work on and what i am working on in my transition from purple to brown.

-teaching. purple is a good time to start teaching kids and such it seems. you are finally able to articulate what you know. or learn to. and then it makes you also remember all the little things you take for granted or forgot all those years ago when you were a white belt.

-conditioning. you no longer loose cause you're tired. you're not gassing and making the 'please let me sit this one out' face. when someone is needing a partner and everyone else is dodging them, no matter how tired you are you jump in.

techniques-learning them. as many as possible. learning from all the sources i can.

strategy-this is what i think when i say fixing the holes in my game. i know i have them and i'm glad to acknowledge them. it doesnt make me weak, it means i'm gonna bet better, faster that the person who only does what they are good at.

consistancy- if you're not at the academy all the time, how are they gonna know you're ready? gotta show them. you gotta tell your instructor you want it.

competition- i've never won gold. lots of silver and bronze but never gold. even though i may be in the poorly attended senior 1 division, i still wanna win gold sometime.

ive been told a brown belt knows everything a black belt does, but a black belt does it perfectly. but i've never heard a purple to brown belt analogy.

so there ya go, from a 'low level' purple to another friend on the same journey.

In a sport with no standardisation, no promotion framework, no common syllabus, at best you can only make vague general statements like "Brown belts are generally better than purple belts and generally not as good as black belts".

Last edited:
Back