Punching the opponent's chest? How does it work as a strategy?

EGarrett

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
In this fight, it looks like Michael Johnson throws lots of punches at Khabib's chest, and that seems to, in one way or another, let him land a head shot that dazes Khabib.

I haven't heard much about this, except one of Anderson Silva's opponents being told to "punch a hole through his chest" in one fight. But it seems pretty effective. Do chest punches do that much damage? Are they used to set-up headshots? Or just to stop people who have good head movement?

In this fight, it looks like Michael Johnson throws lots of punches at Khabib's chest, and that seems to, in one way or another, let him land a head shot that dazes Khabib.

I haven't heard much about this, except one of Anderson Silva's opponents being told to "punch a hole through his chest" in one fight. But it seems pretty effective. Do chest punches do that much damage? Are they used to set-up headshots? Or just to stop people who have good head movement?

It can cause some damage but it's more to interrupt an opponents forward motion, if I see you winding up a power shot I could jab you in the chest or even to stop a kick or knee...... But it's more of a push......

A strike to the plexus can end a fight right there. Kinda hard with fists in bigger gloves, lot easier with a knee for example...
In MT, it's a legit target for the teep.

It can be used as a means to measure the distance. The way you describing Johnson using it this sounds like what he did. He knew he could touch Khabib to the body so he knew he was in range to hit the head.

It can be used as a means to take their focus away from up top; body to head punching. This can make a person mindful of their body, and take away some of their attention on guarding upstairs.

It can also disrupt breathing, and rhythm. Body punches have been known to slow fighters down. Body punching takes a toll on the respiratory system.

I think in Johnson's case it might have been used to try and catch Khabib as he changed levels looking for a takedown

A strike to the plexus can end a fight right there. Kinda hard with fists in bigger gloves, lot easier with a knee for example...
In MT, it's a legit target for the teep.

I ate once a left uppercut counter to my cross in the plexus. The counter was really light, but man I had to stop to take a breath for few seconds :D

In addition to what has already been said

Maybe you're a good puncher but sometimes the other guy is better with his head movement and you have a hard time hitting his face (maybe he counters you every time you try, maybe he just dodges your attacks too consistently), so you punch something that isn't his head because you know it will probably land and disrupt him. If the guy ducks a lot then he'll often duck his face right into the punch if you aim at the chest. That's one reason to do it.

Getting hit anywhere in the body, especially repeatedly, takes the steam out of the other guy's own punches because it hurts to punch when part of the body is injured. Punching (correctly) operates on a kinetic chain like a whip, so if you damage a part of it anywhere along the line (including the muscle, bones, joints, nerves, on a person) then that weakens the overall effect down the line because energy bleeds out there-- the damaged link, instead of transmitting the energy onward smoothly and efficiently like it should.

^^That's the mechanical portion of the equation. When a person feels their body send a recurrent pain signal that increases every time they move, their brain can't help but try to slow it down more and more as a deterrent to increasing the wear to that damaged area, regardless of what they decide they want to do, it is overridden by the automatic, non-voluntary portion of their brain.

When a person consciously feels the pain and stiffness and fatigue and notices themselves slowing down, it has a strong psychological effect which compounds the problem even worse.

It gets worse not only with repetition, but also with time. It feels worse/more exausting and the inflammation response gets a person's body to stiffen up (the opposite of what you want to do when boxing or fighting in general). It has a real, tangible cost to the opponent with significantly reduced risk to the one punching.

Last edited:
I sorta use it when in clinch its more of a stiff arm though when they're kinda attempting a long knee, I use to it off balance them

Most of the time for me if I do use it as a strike, its a setup, and not as an intended damaging strike. 1, 2 (chest), 3 (upstairs), whatever. In place of a body cross, it'll be at the chest. I don't use it often, but it works on stopping their tracks where I can continue. So its not a fight ender for me, but a setup / tactical move

The chest is easy target to hit as it cant be move out of way as easy like your head can. Plus it is probably closest target to your own hands if you are same height. This gives you longest distance you can hang back and still be able to hit something.

If your opponent already has his hands at chest level, and you can hurt him there, then opponent will likely keep hands there to block. This in turn allows you to close the gap with less fear for a counter since you are effectively pinning his hands. I mean they can still hit you, but you odds are slightly better.

If opponent does try to move his chest out of way he likely moving himself out of position to throw a counter because his arms are attached to chest. Now you can probably say the same thing for moving your head, but you dont have to move the head as much as your chest to avoid strike.

If you aim just below the throat, sometimes people instinctively drop their chin, thinking you are going to hit their throat..,..

A southpaw straight to the chest is my go to body shot along with a left hook and pivot off to to my right.

Hitting in the chest takes it out of your opponent, but also importantly means you don't have to duck too low and reveal your intentions to hit the body. You can fire it from more or less the same position you hit the head with. The body is a much easier target to hit, I can't think of a fighter who used a straight to the chest that didn't have significant success with it.

Can't duck under a chest punch.
<seedat>

Very high value posts here, thnx to all contributing :)

Keeps the other guy honest. I can slip and dodge fairly well, but if you keep a jab hitting my chest, I cant move in and really take advantage of it.

Back