Punching bag way too hard

sounds like your training to wreck your body?? no wraps, gloves? and your foot whips around and hits the bag??

your gonna break something dude, i know an older dude who broke his hands a bunch of times because he trained without glvoes and now he can use his hand for shit. Wrap with gloves!! dont pretend your to tough. anyone who trains for a fight wants to have no injuries you on the other hand will because you need proper training and equip imho.

I just want to work on powerful kicks and punches with the bag. That's my goal. With my old bag I could do that until it tore, now that I got a new one, this one hurts too much to put any power into it.
I've always kicked with my foot on the other bag with no problems.

The synthetic vinyl Everlast 100 lb is what I bought. It contains a mixture of cloth bits and sandbags from the factory. I had to dump mine out, take the sandbags out, and repack with just cloth. I had a ton of clothes my son has outgrown so that was no problem. And after repack, it weighs about 85 pounds.
FWIW, I've been hitting mine about a year and a half, and I hit barehanded, and haven't had an injury yet, although you do have to be more accurate- can't afford to hit wrong with no wraps. But hitting barehanded has made most of the symptoms of Repetitive Stress Syndrome in my wrists from being on PC too much.

Dig all that cloth out, and you should find some small plastic sandbags. If you want you can try stuffing it without them. If it still hurts to hit, then maybe you should wrap your hands and get some bag gloves.
HTH

The synthetic vinyl Everlast 100 lb is what I bought. It contains a mixture of cloth bits and sandbags from the factory. I had to dump mine out, take the sandbags out, and repack with just cloth. I had a ton of clothes my son has outgrown so that was no problem. And after repack, it weighs about 85 pounds.
FWIW, I've been hitting mine about a year and a half, and I hit barehanded, and haven't had an injury yet, although you do have to be more accurate- can't afford to hit wrong with no wraps. But hitting barehanded has made most of the symptoms of Repetitive Stress Syndrome in my wrists from being on PC too much.

Dig all that cloth out, and you should find some small plastic sandbags. If you want you can try stuffing it without them. If it still hurts to hit, then maybe you should wrap your hands and get some bag gloves.
HTH

I opened it up and all I saw was cloth at the top, but it does feel like there's sandbags down there when I kick it. Are the bags just mixed in with the cloth? And do the sandbags go all the way to the bottom of the bag?
I kinda reached down into the cloth after I unzipped it and didn't feel any sandbags. Of course I couldn't feel too far down. But you're positive they're down there?
After your next response I'll just go ahead and trust you and dump out the whole thing.

I opened it up and all I saw was cloth at the top, but it does feel like there's sandbags down there when I kick it. Are the bags just mixed in with the cloth? And do the sandbags go all the way to the bottom of the bag?
I kinda reached down into the cloth after I unzipped it and didn't feel any sandbags. Of course I couldn't feel too far down. But you're positive they're down there?
After your next response I'll just go ahead and trust you and dump out the whole thing.

Yes, they're there, mixed in with the cloth.

I'd really like to know what the TS background is in standup training?

I'd really like to know what the TS background is in standup training?

Absolutely nothing. Self-taught everything.
The bag I bought is supposed to be punched with gloves on. So it's reasonable for it to hurt too much from punching it without gloves or kicking it without shoes. Like I said, I've never had that problem before with any other bag, so it's not like I'm some giant wuss who can't cope.

yea i had the same problem with my everlast bag but it wasnt really a problem. you just have to get use to using certain kicks at certain times and stuff like that. The bag will eventually break in and no longer be hard but to get it like that the best thing to do is knees, punches, elbows, or kicks that use anything but the instep. For me i just threw a lot of knees and did lots of side kicks, spinning back kicks, and shin kicks to the bag and it eventually broke in, hope this helps

Go find a trainer and get some lessons. Chances are quite good that you have bad form and will permenantly damage yourself. At very least have someone teach you how to form a fist and throw a proper punch.

Well there's definitely sandbags in there. Those sandbags are way too hard. They're packed full of sand so it's more like a rock than sand.

This thing has so much cloth in it, it's not even funny. Pulling it out, it kinda expands. I'm only like a foot in and I've got half my room full of cloth. My mom is gonna freak out.
Go find a trainer and get some lessons. Chances are quite good that you have bad form and will permenantly damage yourself. At very least have someone teach you how to form a fist and throw a proper punch.
I'm taking these sandbags out because I don't want to permenantly damage myself.
I know how to throw a proper punch. I can kick very well too.
You don't HAVE to be taught anything. You can observe and learn through experience of what works best. You can critique your technique.
You may not believe that's possible, but I do. I believe a lot of things that go against the common thought.
Some things people believe, they believe only because they've never stopped for a minute to question it.

Ok well that didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would. I took all 9 sandbags out. Put the cloth back in the best I could, but there's still some places near the bottom where it's not packed in very well. I packed it as good as I could near the top and placed a 15 pound weight on it. Do I just let it sit there? The bag is all lumpy and uneven.

I took all the excess cloth (which was a lot. I think I was only able to put about half of the cloth back in) and put it in plastic grocery bags. Filled up about 5 of them and stuck them in the closet.
I'm left with some small peices on the carpet which I'll vacuum up.

Ok well that didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would. I took all 9 sandbags out. Put the cloth back in the best I could, but there's still some places near the bottom where it's not packed in very well. I packed it as good as I could near the top and placed a 15 pound weight on it. Do I just let it sit there? The bag is all lumpy and uneven.

I took all the excess cloth (which was a lot. I think I was only able to put about half of the cloth back in) and put it in plastic grocery bags. Filled up about 5 of them and stuck them in the closet.
I'm left with some small peices on the carpet which I'll vacuum up.

It sounds like you didn't re-pack it very well. Did you use something like a stick to pack it really well? It's amazing how much cloth you need to fill out a heavybag so I'm surprised you didn't even use all of it and even something extra after taking out the sandbags.

It sounds like you didn't re-pack it very well. Did you use something like a stick to pack it really well? It's amazing how much cloth you need to fill out a heavybag so I'm surprised you didn't even use all of it and even something extra after taking out the sandbags.
The company uses a machine to stuff the bag, so when you open the bag, the cloth is really tightly packed together.
You can't pack it that tightly on your own.
But yeah I should've used a baseball bat or something to reach the bottom to pack it.

The company uses a machine to stuff the bag, so when you open the bag, the cloth is really tightly packed together.
You can't pack it that tightly on your own.
But yeah I should've used a baseball bat or something to reach the bottom to pack it.

Let it hang, and hit it, it will settle at the top, and you can fill it with more cotton. Yes, you use a bat or broomstick or something to pack it down tight.

I'm taking these sandbags out because I don't want to permenantly damage myself.
I know how to throw a proper punch. I can kick very well too.
You don't HAVE to be taught anything. You can observe and learn through experience of what works best. You can critique your technique.
You may not believe that's possible, but I do. I believe a lot of things that go against the common thought.
Some things people believe, they believe only because they've never stopped for a minute to question it.

some people call that being pigheaded and close-minded. no point tellin u to get a trainer, ud never be willing to learn anything from them anyway.

Absolutely nothing. Self-taught everything.
The bag I bought is supposed to be punched with gloves on. So it's reasonable for it to hurt too much from punching it without gloves or kicking it without shoes. Like I said, I've never had that problem before with any other bag, so it's not like I'm some giant wuss who can't cope.

Ok then...are you kicking with the TOP of your foot?
Because if you kick with the parts of the foot you're supposed to, it's not going to hurt so bad that it will prevent you from kicking it.

some people call that being pigheaded and close-minded. no point tellin u to get a trainer, ud never be willing to learn anything from them anyway.

That's true, too. The only way to learn is to lose the ego.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back