Punching bag for returning

Boogiesmash

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I have been out of mma due to injury and family problem. I'm aching to get back. Can anyone give me a template for a bag workout. Looking to do it 2-3 x a week. My goals is to get my heart rate up and cardio. Other activities I do is lift 5x week. And make classes 3-4x week. Muay Thai and jkd.

Others will give you a proper routine for your bag work. I just want to say that "lift 5x week" is useless from a fighters point of view...It's too much, you should exchange some of those session with a more fighting oriented training...(IMO replace it with Muay Thai, in fact replace all your sessions with Muay Thai...you can't go wrong with Muay Thai)

Personally I only use the bag for generating power and technique not cardio. But if you want to use it for getting your heart rate up/cardio I'd suggest the following:

x6 2min rounds with 30 seconds rest in between

Rnd 1- jabs, 1-2 to warm yourself up a bit
Rnd 2- 4's and 6's only, moving around bag, light but fast (minimum of 4 or 6 punch combos)
Rnd 3- 1-2 then side step 180 degrees to other side of bag, then 1-2 side step all the way to other side
Rnd 4- 4's and 6's only again
Rnd 5- 1-2-3-4 (1-2 to head, side step in and 3-4 to body)
Rnd 6- 6 straight punches, 6 hooks, 6 uppercuts while on balls of toes til the end

Others will give you a proper routine for your bag work. I just want to say that "lift 5x week" is useless from a fighters point of view...It's too much, you should exchange some of those session with a more fighting oriented training...(IMO replace it with Muay Thai, in fact replace all your sessions with Muay Thai...you can't go wrong with Muay Thai)
I wish I could do Muay Thai 5x a week. My school offers it 3x a week.

Back