Punches in the clinch

dudeguyman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey so what are some details you can give me, regarding the body mechanics of short punches to the head and torso in the clinch? Hooks, overhands, shovel hooks, uppercuts. I know knees and elbows are ideal in that that range, but there's just something bout the feeling after a punch lands perfectly. I'm looking for some one inch punch type shit. I figure it's mostly in the legs and core but I need them details. Also if you have any advice for creating space for a real power punch, while maintaining clinch control and maybe off balancing them in the process, that would be great. I'd like to believe this is a more detailed question than usual from me, so hopefully I get some more complex replies.

I don't advise this as a good plan. The only thing good from it is the punch may distract them so you can escape or pummell to get out a shitty spot.

Every year on the circuit, there's a genuis fighter who tries to punch his way out if the clinch only to end up with broken ribs or fractured arms. Don't be that guy.

There's no weight behind it, its nothing but an arm punch. This is like being on the bottom in MMA and trying to do damage punching a guy who has mount on you. Maybe there's an outlier that can do it, but it's a flawed gameplan.

I don't advise this as a good plan. The only thing good from it is the punch may distract them so you can escape or pummell to get out a shitty spot.

Every year on the circuit, there's a genuis fighter who tries to punch his way out if the clinch only to end up with broken ribs or fractured arms. Don't be that guy.

There's no weight behind it, its nothing but an arm punch. This is like being on the bottom in MMA and trying to do damage punching a guy who has mount on you. Maybe there's an outlier that can do it, but it's a flawed gameplan.

Are there any famous boxing KO:s from a clinch? I can't think of one.

Yeah the way I look at it they would be more for volume and keeping prrssure. Then I could try to make some space, keeping them at maybe an arms length for a moment throw 1 or 2 hard ones then go back in to safety. Also it's not like I couldn't throw knees and elbows, punches just feel good man.

Yeah the way I look at it they would be more for volume and keeping prrssure. Then I could try to make some space, keeping them at maybe an arms length for a moment throw 1 or 2 hard ones then go back in to safety. Also it's not like I couldn't throw knees and elbows, punches just feel good man.
I hear ya, the thing is its fighting and things that don't feel "strong" or awesome works better than they seem.
The objective is to win, and technique supplements that by making things easier on you: stronger strike, gas efficient, explosive.

Do what works for you in the end, but still stick with the basic principles

You can push them away, but you'll have to off balance them doing so, if not they'll blitz right back and you'd be at a compromised position if it was rushed or spazzy

for MT, if you are actually clinching, I wouldnt suggest punching from the clinch at all, its pretty much worthless and ineffective, punching from clinching in boxing is different, and dont get me wrong, body punches are great, but not from the clinch, if a guy has 2 hands on you, your not going to be able to get proper body mechanics behind your punches to be effective, and if you, you just going to put yourself into a position to eat a huge knee. For MT if you are not clinching, but very close, you can rip the body.

Have been, I like this one at the moment, but I've been watching other shit to.

haah that reminds me, floyd does a bunch of dirty shit, cant remember the exact vid but im sure you can find some floyd maywether dirty boxing breakdowns on youtube.

haah that reminds me, floyd does a bunch of dirty shit, cant remember the exact vid but im sure you can find some floyd maywether dirty boxing breakdowns on youtube.
Sounds like I got a new fighter to study.

Cant believe how many people are saying punching is useless from the clinch. Knees although powerful leave you open to takedowns, not to mention a punch is far more energy effectient.

Shovel hooks, mexican uppercuts, whatever you want to call them. Short stabbing punches powered by the hips are what you want to use in the clinch.

Punching in the clinch goes well with wrestling, off balance your opponent in the clinch with something like an ankle pick, knee block, or a level change into a double/single. When they defend the td attempt posture up in the clinch and start punching.

Cant believe how many people are saying punching is useless from the clinch. Knees although powerful leave you open to takedowns, not to mention a punch is far more energy effectient.

Shovel hooks, mexican uppercuts, whatever you want to call them. Short stabbing punches powered by the hips are what you want to use in the clinch.

Punching in the clinch goes well with wrestling, off balance your opponent in the clinch with something like an ankle pick, knee block, or a level change into a double/single. When they defend the td attempt posture up in the clinch and start punching.

i will respectfully disagree with you.

If you can show yourself or anyone else using punching from the clinch effectively I would like to see it.

Here my opponent punches from the clinch, its ineffective, which is my experience with punching from the clinch, not just in this fight, but in many other aspects of training/fighting/sparring

anderson silva does a pretty good job of showing how shitty punching from the clinch is

i will respectfully disagree with you.

If you can show yourself or anyone else using punching from the clinch effectively I would like to see it.

Here my opponent punches from the clinch, its ineffective, which is my experience with punching from the clinch, not just in this fight, but in many other aspects of training/fighting/sparring

anderson silva does a pretty good job of showing how shitty punching from the clinch is

That is a muy thai fight, with boxing gloves on, obviously knees/elbows are going to dominate, especially with no risk of td, if you do go down, or end up in double unders the fight will be reset on the feet at distance.

Plenty of MMA fights have been finished by punches in the clinch, i don't feel it necessary to Google and post examples.

Im also not desputing the effectiveness of knees and elbows, just letting everyone know that it would be foolish to neglect an important part of clinch fighting, punching.

Back