Puncher vs Kicker

Manimal87

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Whats more effective to be elite at? In punching/boxing or kicking. If some one has elite boxing facing someone who is only good in elite kicking... Who will likley win? I guess closing distance is easier than maintain distance.. So will the puncher/boxer be in favour?

Whats more effective to be elite at? In punching/boxing or kicking. If some one has elite boxing facing someone who is only good in elite kicking... Who will likley win? I guess closing distance is easier than maintain distance.. So will the puncher/boxer be in favour?

Depends on their defense.

If you're skilled....

It's easy to counter punches with kicks.

And easy to counter kicks with punches.

It all depends on their level of offense and defensive skills.

I feel like there is a sport out there that uses only punches. I feel like there isn't a sport out there that uses only kicks. I feel like the truth is somewhere across these two.

I feel like there is a sport out there that uses only punches. I feel like there isn't a sport out there that uses only kicks. I feel like the truth is somewhere across these two.

Kick volleyball bruh

Tae Kwon Do

Olympic TKD, almost no hands.....

Punching for effectiveness. Because you don't have to sacrifice as much mobility to punch.

I think it varies depending on the ruleset. In MMA, my sport of choice, elite punching is far superior to elite kicking.

In something like Muay Thai, elite kicking is better.

My Muay Thai coach got started in kung fu and kickboxing. He told me he was a great kicker, but had a kickboxing bout with someone that had good/great boxing and got "a proper beating" as he put it. He then trained with his brother, a pro boxer and learned boxing well. He ended up fighting that guy again and gave him a proper beating. Moral of the story is that it's most likely better to be a great boxer than a great kicker, if your boxing is bad it can be worse than if your kicks are bad.
I'd say a boxer that can deal with kicks would be best

lets take it one step further, whats better, elite boxing, or elite kicking? If we watch videos of boxers vs kickboxers, we all know how they generally end. It would also depend on what sport we are using this "elite boxing vs kicking" in. if the answer is MMA, i would say boxing, if its muay thai, i would say kicking.

Punching for effectiveness. Because you don't have to sacrifice as much mobility to punch.
There's also an efficiency factor. You spend way more energy on a hard kick than a hard punch.

Mike Tyson in his prime vs the Olympic HW TKD GM no pads?

Mike Tyson destroys him brutally.

This is from a long time TKD practitioner.

The boxer will win.

In Muay Thai they had to heavily modify it to cope with western boxing.

In kickboxing they had to force a rule to throw at least 2-3 kicks per round because boxing was so effective no one bothered to kick becaus ethey were trying to win and it didnt work

In Muay Thai the only westiner to win high level Thai Titles was Rammon Dekkers and he had a bopxing base which won him alot of his fights and knockouts.

In other arts boxing punches usually finish people from kicking styles when the two styles collide via their practitioners.

Yea they need kicks, the thai clinch ie stand up wrestling, knees and elbows just to beat western boxing. Muay thai had to change dramatically with the introduction of western boxing. Rammon Dekkers who started off in boxing was the only westerner to win high level Thai titles.

Punching > Kicking

Yea they need kicks, the thai clinch ie stand up wrestling, knees and elbows just to beat western boxing. Muay thai had to change dramatically with the introduction of western boxing. Rammon Dekkers who started off in boxing was the only westerner to win high level Thai titles.

Punching > Kicking

Do you even have the slighest clue what you're talking about?

That's Sittichai fighting RVR under Glory rules and dominating mostly with kicks. No elbows and barely any clinch allowed.

Ramon had a losing record in thailand, and there are quite a few westeners that achieved more then he. Aside from that, there are bunch of thais that had better boxing then him. Thai nak muays been winning world titles in boxing before Dekkers came onto the scene.

Do you even have the slighest clue what you're talking about?

That's Sittichai fighting RVR under Glory rules and dominating mostly with kicks. No elbows and barely any clinch allowed.

Ramon had a losing record in thailand, and there are quite a few westeners that achieved more then he. Aside from that, there are bunch of thais that had better boxing then him. Thai nak muays been winning world titles in boxing before Dekkers came onto the scene.

The thais often make fools of dutch kickboxers whether they kick punch or have a ridiculous weight advantage, the dutch are a much weaker talent pool, so its a poor misleading example,

Ud need someone that only trained the teep and round kicks vs someone that only trained boxing punches to make a fair test.

Muay thai guys learn boxing and kicking so a pro boxer wouldnt fair well even if the thai wasnt allowed to use elbows knees or punches, he knows the defense against punches the pro boxer doesn't know the defense against kicks

IF IT WERE A GUY THAT ONLY LEARN T THAI KICKS AND TEEPS ETC VS A BOXER THAT ONLY KNEW BOXING, NEITHER HAD GOOD DEFENSE AGAINST EACH OTHERS TOOLS, THE BOXER WOULD WIN BECAUSE ITS EASIER TO CLOSE THE DISTANCE, YOU CAN BE MORE MOBILE AS YOU STRIKE, AND YOU CAN BE MORE RAPID FIRE, AND YOU CAN GET IN A STRIKE FORM MORE ANGLES

PUNCHING IS MORE EFFICIENT, BRUCE LEE AGREES WITH ME, I WIN YOU LOSE END THREAD ,

Last edited:
Back