Punch to the thigh to set up knockout

Koro_11

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Romero is so tricky. Was re watching the fight, and just noticed that it all starts with a punch to the thigh. Seems to throw Luke off for a second, just long enough to close in on him and end the night.

Wonder if we'll see more guys trying punches to the legs.

L8BKq4.gif

Romero is so tricky. Was re watching the fight, and just noticed that it all starts with a punch to the thigh. Seems to throw Luke off for a second, just long enough to close in on him and end the night.

L8BKq4.gif
iBEwT7tEC0X2B.gif

Yes, TS, every fighter will now start using that move.

i always do it in sparring, makes no sense tho

Straight punches to the midsection and, why not to the thigh area while we're at it, are grossly underutilized in MMA. I love seeing shit like that.

They can work as a misdirection for setting up follow up power-shots like Romero just did, and in general just give your opponents a lot more shit to think about. Makes level changes a lot more unpredictable, and thus more effective at keeping your opponent on his toes and not allowing him to settle.

GSP for example alternates his lunging jabs between going to the head and to the body and it truly makes a world of difference in terms of masking his intentions and hiding any potential tells from his body language since everything looks the same until it's already too late to react in a reliable way.

The punch to the thigh is banned in Muay Thai

Too deadly

L8BKq4.gif
A. Silva has been doing this for a while. Not exactly a new move, but yeah, maybe.

i always do it in sparring, makes no sense tho
Lol I’ve had this done to me in training too and I always think wtf? I guess that’s all it takes when you’re fighting Romero.

High, low; Get them hands dippin'. Kind of a fearless technique against anyone with quick hands though. Imagine a shovel uppercut response to that.

5b1d2782-441b-433a-b380-81b4cda97d54-png.339103

GOAT middleweight kisser. This is why Luke is no longer salty even though he lost, he just can't get Yoel's soft lips and cherry flavour chapstick out of his mind.

This is what he did to those two bits of jailbait that he taught to 'salsa'.

Romero stands straight back up in the same position he threw that shot from. If Rockhold could have just thrown a straight right as Romero does this then you are basically getting a free shot. This is why after you throw low and straight (or to the thigh in this case) you should always move because a good striker or boxer will see this from a mile away and take full advantage. But clearly neither Romero or Rockhold know that this is even a thing. It really just demonstrates how bad the striking actually is in MMA.

Back