Pulp Fiction- What was Vincent and Butch's beef?

I always kind of got the impression that Butch made the decision (not to throw the fight) right after the confrontation with Vincent.
There is something about the way the camera circles around him, focusing on his facial expression.

I've thought that too, but I don't know. I believe Butch bet on himself, so it might have been his plan all along to take Wallace's money, and get the payout for winning. Or he put the money Wallace fronted him on himself.

I don't think so. Why do we think Vincent drove his car to the bar? They took a cab to breakfast, why wouldn't they take a cab to the bar?
I'm pretty confident Vincent would have changed his clothes if he went home to pick up his car.
Yup, no logical reason they wouldn't take the briefcase to Marsellus immediately after breakfast.

This. Butch went up to the bar and noticed Vincent staring at him. Vincent was giving him a judgmental look because he knew he was throwing a fight and Butch, being an alpha, recognized that look and tried to assert his dominance with a confrontational question designed to draw a line in the sand. Vincent decided to cross that line by calling him palooka and punchy, and while Butch would ordinarily just choke a bitch in such a situation, he decided to stay cool when he realized that Vincent was tight with Marsellus and contented himself with keying his car.

This is how I always saw it. Vincent had just had the shittiest day of his life and was in a bad mood. Also it always seemed to me that Vincent knew Butch was a good boxer and he was greatly disappointed in him for agreeing to throw the fight. So he was definitely mean mugging Butch.

Then of course, Butch sees this chubby dude wearing nerdy clothes mean mugging him, so he calls him out on it. If Vincent had his suit on, Butch may have realized he was someone important and would've just kept quiet.

Vincent didn't care for the way Butch looked at him in the bar, but that isn't why he was in Butch's house. He was sent to kill Butch for not throwing the match, which cost Wallace a lot of money.
Both guys were having a bad day. Just happened to have it next to each other.

Good point. However, it is possible that Vincent and Jules both drove to the bar before going on their "mission" to get the briefcase from Brad so they could meet up, maybe get some instructions from Marcellus, and then headed out in Jules' car. Meaning Vincent's car had been waiting for him to pick up at the bar all morning.
So Jules car would be out there, too. Along with Marcellus' and English Bob's. I think it was just something that QT thought would make for good dialogue (he would be correct) and had nothing to do with the story.

So Jules car would be out there, too. Along with Marcellus' and English Bob's. I think it was just something that QT thought would make for good dialogue (he would be correct) and had nothing to do with the story.

I thought Jules' car ended up in a trash compactor at the car grave yard?

Apparently Opie and Anthony asked Tarantino if Butch keyed Vincent's car and he confirmed that he did.

At around the 3:00 mark.

Maybe. It definitely factored into smoking his five dollar shake ass later on, that's for sure.

But was the shake worth 5 dollars? I heard it was pretty good, just wasn't sure if it was worth 5 dollars.

Butch was Vincent Vegas favorite boxer. Vin was disgusted with Butch when he found out he was the one throwing the fight...mean mugging ensued.

I thought Jules' car ended up in a trash compactor at the car grave yard?
Not his car. When Mr. Wolf is questioning him about it he just has a vague familiarity with it.

That's not exactly the impression I got from that scene, but whatever. Who knows.
'As far as I know the motherfucker's tip top." is what leads to me believe that's not his car. I know for a fact my car is tip top.

Doesn't ever refer to the car as his either. As pissed as Jules is, it being his car that has to be crushed never comes up. Seems like that would be a pretty strange thing to omit.

'As far as I know the motherfucker's tip top." is what leads to me believe that's not his car. I know for a fact my car is tip top.

Doesn't ever refer to the car as his either. As pissed as Jules is, it being his car that has to be crushed never comes up. Seems like that would be a pretty strange thing to omit.

I'd say your second point is stronger than the first. At no point does Jules really complain that "his car" is a total mess after it's covered in brains, or that it is going to get destroyed. So that suggests he has no attachment to it and that it may not be his.

As for the first part I don't make anything of that statement. If someone asked me about my car I'd probably say the same thing because I'm not a "car guy" so I wouldn't necessarily notice things to readily like my wheels being out of alignment or what have you.

I'd say your second point is stronger than the first. At no point does Jules really complain that "his car" is a total mess after it's covered in brains, or that it is going to get destroyed. So that suggests he has no attachment to it and that it may not be his.

As for the first part I don't make anything of that statement. If someone asked me about my car I'd probably say the same thing because I'm not a "car guy" so I wouldn't necessarily notice things to readily like my wheels being out of alignment or what have you.
Yeah, I could be looking too much into that line. It just seems to fit with him not really giving a shit about the car.

I took their moment at the bar like Vincent knew who he was and was letting Butch know he knew, that Butch was there to throw a fight..... like don't fuck with us, I know you but you don't know me.

Then in the apartment Butch has the advantage and shows him up by spraying him with bullets....... had Vincent not been such a dick maybe he could've talked his way out of it, or delayed the spray of bullets and pulled his own gun, but he was a dick and got fucked over twice by Butch who apparently keyed his car too.

Last edited:
Though I liked Vincent's character way better, it did seem like he just initiated shit for the hell of it. Just mean mugged him for no reason.

Damn, a prequel of the Vega brothers would have been sweet as fug. A sequel of Jules walking the earth as well.

You would have to CGI Travolta at this point to make him look younger -- but i like that idea!

Nothing good happens when Vincent has to use the bathroom. We had Mia's overdose, the coffee shop robbery, and then Butch shoots him

man.. how come you notice/relate those scenes ? u think they re on purpose ?

Back