Protecting your chin with shoulder, yay or nay

JustOnce

On Hiatus
@Gold
Reaction score
In Shotokan karate for example, though I haven't really practiced it, you are supposed to keep your shoulder blade down and throughout when you punch.

In boxing however, it looks like it is advised to raise your shoulder as you punch, at the end of your punches, so to protect your chin all the time.

These are two contrasting approaches.....on two different spectrum...I feel like I can hit with more power without having to raise my shoulder, but...maybe it's because I'm not used to it?

Do what your coach says. There's no right way to fight.

In Shotokan karate for example, though I haven't really practiced it, you are supposed to keep your shoulder blade down and throughout when you punch.

In boxing however, it looks like it is advised to raise your shoulder as you punch, at the end of your punches, so to protect your chin all the time.

These are two contrasting approaches.....on two different spectrum...I feel like I can hit with more power without having to raise my shoulder, but...maybe it's because I'm not used to it?
No you are right about hitting harder without raising your shoulder, this is why I only recommend it with the jab. Shrugging your shoulder on the cross disengages the weight of your lower half, turning it into an arm punch. It also will destroy your shoulder (this is from personal experience).

No you are right about hitting harder without raising your shoulder, this is why I only recommend it with the jab. Shrugging your shoulder on the cross disengages the weight of your lower half, turning it into an arm punch. It also will destroy your shoulder (this is from personal experience).

But I think in boxing you are supposed to shrug your shoulder in every punch for protection

Yah you should imo, protects your chin.
A certaint amount can add protection, too much just jams your punches. I am a big believer in what @Sinister says about posture. Chin down, chest out and shoulders back provides a more stable platform for all striking and defence. It's also better for your body as shrugging tends to lead to shoulder and neck problems.

But I think in boxing you are supposed to shrug your shoulder in every punch for protection
Only if you have a crappy boxing coach. Watch to old school fighters and look at the natural relaxed positioning of their shoulders. They would keep the chin tucked behind the lead shoulder, but not jam the shoulders when punching. Wayne part teaches to bring both shoulders up as you punch but I'm not an advocate of it. Like Holyfield said, you lower your head to the guard, you don't raise the guard or shoulders to the head. That only opens the body up and reduces punching power.

In sport Shotokan punching to the face is not a real factor. Also there are other offenses you have to consider, kicks. They teach a downward block called the "gedan barai" for low kicks. Shrugged shoulders could in theory cause you to be disengaged from low body attacks considering your focus would be on the torso up.

In boxing having your shoulders up, and tense will tire you out fairly quickly, and make you stiff. Guards transition in boxing a lot. How you fight on the inside differs how you would fight on the outside. Styles also dictate guards. Boxing is very catered to the individual. If you're fighting out of the "crab" or "philly shell" in boxing then yes you'd utilize the shoulder to block shots.

If you prefer shoulders down, then I'd offer the advice of developing an outside game, learning superb head movement, footwork, know your distance, and tuck your chin. Also consider learning to catch punches.

Hope this helps.

Textbook boxing guard is back straight, chin tucked, hands up at cheek level. I'm not going to mention stances because I don't know if you are interested in an out fighter or in fighter. There are styles that deviate from this, but this is what is usually taught walking in the door. Maybe this video below will help:

I just thought u were supposed to, I'm kinda confused, when you hear different things I guesss

I just thought u were supposed to, I'm kinda confused, when you hear different things I guesss

It is a defense. However, there are other defenses like head movement and foot work, and catching shots on the glove. There are guys whose footwork is so superior that they fight with their hands down: Sweet Pea, RJJ, Ali.

You also will fight different people in different ways. Guys you're uncomfortable against based on skill level you may find yourself going back to basic boxing. Guys you feel you can outclass you may open up and fight "unorthodox".

It is a defense. However, there are other defenses like head movement and foot work, and catching shots on the glove. There are guys whose footwork is so superior that they fight with their hands down: Sweet Pea, RJJ, Ali.

You also will fight different people in different ways. Guys you're uncomfortable against based on skill level you may find yourself going back to basic boxing. Guys you feel you can outclass you may open up and fight "unorthodox".

I mean in general, not really getting down to what elements are there for defenses, but more like textbook instruction. If you broke down how to throw a proper punch, for example, like how to dummies for throwjng a punch, would there be a step numbered x that is to shrug your shoulder

No hunching.

I mean in general, not really getting down to what elements are there for defenses, but more like textbook instruction. If you broke down how to throw a proper punch, for example, like how to dummies for throwjng a punch, would there be a step numbered x that is to shrug your shoulder

No. It would telegraph your punch. Don't forcibly shrug your shoulder. People who have a decent boxing IQ will pick up on your shoulder shrug, and understand it meant the punch was coming. You'd want to throw your punch as natural as possible to prevent telegraph, stiffness, and fatigue. Granted your chin is tucked you'll find the shoulder covers the chin naturally upon extension.

You'll find your shoulder shrugged on either arm as a means to prevent a counter when the punch is fully extended, and then you'd want to retract your hand to your face as fast as possible without looping.

Think of the cover like this when punching: 1) Hand 2) Arm 3) Shoulder then 4) Hand again. If your chin is tucked, and you throw the punches properly you don't have to consciously shrug. The shoulder will more or less cover the chin naturally on the extension. The biggest thing to consider is tucking your chin. I've always been taught chin tucked hands up. This will ensure that something (hand, arm, shoulder) will cover it.

Idk if this will help but whatever lol.

thompson_stephen_ufc-1040x572.jpg

I believe that @Sinister has said before that you can protect your chin with your shoulder without having to hunch your shoulders by using hip flexion to change the angle of your upper body enough that the shoulder is blocking the path to your chin without having to move it out of the socket.

If you can time it right it's good, if you can't time it right its not good.

Back