prosecutor forces testing of 11k abandoned rape kits in a Michigan county - finds 817 serial rapists

It also could be as simple as someone didn't do their job/people sadly forgot the kit was there waiting to be tested.

Big beliver in saying don't attribute something to malice which can be explained by simple incompetence.

That said these numbers are beyond simple incompetence and move into willful neglect at best.

Whatever the reason, these stats are disgusting and this should never happen.

If I had to pick a reason why rape kits went untested, I would lean towards money as the primary reason and a belief that it would yield no evidence being number two.

Obviously, I plan to explain. To test one rape kit, it cost between $1500 to $2500. That is a chunk of change. As per my second reason, say you have a rape victim who is raped, goes home and showers and washes her clothes, and reports the rape days later. She still gets the rape kit, but if her attacker used a condom, the odds of finding any useful dna is pretty much zero. So $1500 for a test that will almost certainly yield nothing gives one pause.

I take sexual assault very seriously, as I teach rape prevention and women’s self defense. I also take resorts and read all reports of rapes. Some of those cases could be called “thin” to be generous. Some of them you know to be false, or the victim comes in and says she wishes to recant her report. Crazy as that sounds, it happens.

The cases that are “real” are heartbreaking, and you want to find or convict her attacker very much. But I remember one case where a woman claimed her attacker( a small man of about 120 lbs) knocked her out and carried her three blocks to the rape location. This was said to have occurred in broad daylight. We later learned this woman was mentally ill, and was known to do this where she was from, but she filed three reports before we realized what was going on. How is that possible? She spoke to different officers, and no one would dare call a potential rape victim a liar.

I also took a report where a woman was the center of a gang bang. She was willing and was even the aggressor. While she was sucking one guy off, another was plugging away. When he finished, another would step in. This went on for some time until she took a break from chugging penis to see that someone had penetrated her that she did not like and she came in to file rape charges the next day. At least she did not shower and had her clothes, but she had the dna of half the city on her and the rape kits took up a city block. If I recall, the guy was black, which is where the problem came in. But I could not help thinking that this woman, who had sexual with over a dozen men, would say she was raped. She did not tell the guy “no” but she said she did not give him permission and she was “drying up” yet she had about three more after that guy. This case was a lot of wasted resources and news story.

Anyway, there should never be a large backlog of untested rape kits, but if there is little chance of finding anything, the prosecutor’s office may say “don’t test that one” and it is a financial issue.

Oh, and to test all the rape kits in this story would cost 17 million dollars at the low end. So that should answer some questions, but the prosecutor(big kudos to her for her work and being way ahead of the curve in this issue) also has a point that most of those rape kits were minority victims. So there may be more to those untested kits.

My department has zero untested kits, btw.

Thanks for your input.

Do you have any data on costs to collect a rape kit?

People just can't not be assholes. Turning a thread about rape evidence not being processed on a mass scale into "woah is me i'm a white guy and my life is so hard" and " but Moooslims..."

Amazing.

Amazing? What about the post said my life is hard?

And some have made a name for themselves as rapeugees, so when anyone hears the word rape, that's the group they now think of

When I was growing up rape use to be a big deal, got people very upset.

Today not so much.

It's even going in the opposite of direction. When I was young some one who raped child was brought up on child rape. And called a child rapist.

Over the years liberals thought that child rapist sounded too harsh, it got people and the jury too angry. Which lead to long sentences.

So they came up with the term molester or pedophile which sounded more scientific and less evil.

Your sticking up for the wrong team.

And some have made a name for themselves as rapeugees, so when anyone hears the word rape, that's the group they now think of

Today not so much.

It's even going in the opposite of direction. When I was young some one who raped child was brought up on child rape. And called a child rapist.

Over the years liberals thought that child rapist sounded too harsh, it got people and the jury too angry. Which lead to long sentences.

So they came up with the term molester or pedophile which sounded more scientific and less evil.

None of what you said is true or makes sense.

None of what you said is true or makes sense.

Recent refugees have made a name for themselves as rapist, true.

They don't use the term child rapist which sounds harsh. They use more scientific terms like molester or pedophile, that sounds more scientific, true.

What exactly don't you see

Today not so much.

First of all, it's objectively false that "anyone" thinks of refugees when they hear the word rape. Perhaps in the circles you're in that people think like that, but it's definitely not a general thing. This is so far fetched and the first time I have heard anyone say this.

People still get upset about rape and rightfully so. Sure, there's a chunk of the demographic that doesn't care or thinks it's not so bad, or that most rape cases are "misconstrued", but they don't think like that because of "rapefugees". They just don't care about rape and probably never will. There were people like that when you were growing up, too.

It's also not true that the term "child rape" has now become obsolete and has been replaced with euphemisms. The term pedophile has been around for as long as I can remember, so has molestation. It's not a sign of society becoming accepting of child rapists/molesters/pedophiles. People still use "child rapist".

Can you provide any evidence at all that "liberals" think the word "child rape" is too harsh? Or is that your own conclusion from "reading between the lines"? Since when do child molesters get milder sentences, by the way?

I didn't see anyone suggesing that

I think the article is somewhat written in a way that subtly suggests that, even though I don't think that's at all what this Prosecutor was trying to say.

How did the term rapugee originate?
Because one group was known for a ton of raping when they arrived in their host country.

You really believe the term child rapist is used more then the liberal p.c. term molester or pedophile?

Child rapist are protected in jail, kept separate.

Child rapist are taken care of when out of prison. They get free room and food at these motels and houses.

Protected and taken care of are not What child rapist should get

Because one group was known for a ton of raping when they arrived in their host country.

You really believe the term child rapist is used more then the liberal p.c. term molester or pedophile?

Child rapist are taken care of when out of prison. They get free room and food at these motels and houses.

None of this proves any of the claims you made.

Molestation is used to describe inappropriate touching of a child. Rape is used to describe forced sexual acts. A pedofile is a person who is attracted to children. Those are three different terms.

People who are at a high risk of being killed in jail are "protected" to a certain extent, regardless of their crime. That is just how prison works, they cannot have inmates killing each other on a regular basis.

Child rapists get free room and food at motels and houses? I don't know what you are talking about there.

Molestation is used to describe inappropriate touching of a child. Rape is used to describe forced sexual acts. A pedofile is a person who is attracted to children. Those are three different terms.

People who are at a high risk of being killed in jail are "protected" to a certain extent, regardless of their crime. That is just how prison works, they cannot have inmates killing each other on a regular basis.

Child rapists get free room and food at motels and houses? I don't know what you are talking about there.

Child rapist should not be protected.

In N.Y. after you finish your sentence for child rape, these guys are ushered into halfway house motels and houses that shelter and feed them for free.

Why if you commit manslaughter or any other crime, when your released your on your own.
But child rapist get free room and board when out?

Love your definition of molestation and rape, molestation is innapprorirate touching, but consensual, lol.

And rape is forced? But molestation is not?

Whatever the reason, these stats are disgusting and this should never happen.

If I had to pick a reason why rape kits went untested, I would lean towards money as the primary reason and a belief that it would yield no evidence being number two.

Obviously, I plan to explain. To test one rape kit, it cost between $1500 to $2500. That is a chunk of change. As per my second reason, say you have a rape victim who is raped, goes home and showers and washes her clothes, and reports the rape days later. She still gets the rape kit, but if her attacker used a condom, the odds of finding any useful dna is pretty much zero. So $1500 for a test that will almost certainly yield nothing gives one pause.

I take sexual assault very seriously, as I teach rape prevention and women’s self defense. I also take resorts and read all reports of rapes. Some of those cases could be called “thin” to be generous. Some of them you know to be false, or the victim comes in and says she wishes to recant her report. Crazy as that sounds, it happens.

The cases that are “real” are heartbreaking, and you want to find or convict her attacker very much. But I remember one case where a woman claimed her attacker( a small man of about 120 lbs) knocked her out and carried her three blocks to the rape location. This was said to have occurred in broad daylight. We later learned this woman was mentally ill, and was known to do this where she was from, but she filed three reports before we realized what was going on. How is that possible? She spoke to different officers, and no one would dare call a potential rape victim a liar.

I also took a report where a woman was the center of a gang bang. She was willing and was even the aggressor. While she was sucking one guy off, another was plugging away. When he finished, another would step in. This went on for some time until she took a break from chugging penis to see that someone had penetrated her that she did not like and she came in to file rape charges the next day. At least she did not shower and had her clothes, but she had the dna of half the city on her and the rape kits took up a city block. If I recall, the guy was black, which is where the problem came in. But I could not help thinking that this woman, who had sexual with over a dozen men, would say she was raped. She did not tell the guy “no” but she said she did not give him permission and she was “drying up” yet she had about three more after that guy. This case was a lot of wasted resources and news story.

Anyway, there should never be a large backlog of untested rape kits, but if there is little chance of finding anything, the prosecutor’s office may say “don’t test that one” and it is a financial issue.

Oh, and to test all the rape kits in this story would cost 17 million dollars at the low end. So that should answer some questions, but the prosecutor(big kudos to her for her work and being way ahead of the curve in this issue) also has a point that most of those rape kits were minority victims. So there may be more to those untested kits.

My department has zero untested kits, btw.

Great post. Thanks for giving this some perspective.

Wild fuckin stories, too. You guys really deal with the lowest rung of society.

Like what?
Like the claim that people think about refugees when they hear the word rape.

Also that liberals have been pushing for lighter sentencing for child rapists and have been replacing the term child rapist with other, more "benign" terms, when in fact all of those words have been in use forever.

Child rapist should not be protected.

In N.Y. after you finish your sentence for child rape, these guys are ushered into halfway house motels and houses that shelter and feed them for free.

Why if you commit manslaughter or any other crime, when your released your on your own.
But child rapist get free room and board when out?

Love your definition of molestation and rape, molestation is innapprorirate touching, but consensual, lol.

And rape is forced? But molestation is not?

That's not what I said at all. Obviously molestation is nonconsensual, as is rape, since a child is unable to consent to anything. I just said that the words are used to define two different things. If I wasn't clear, just tell me and I can clarify. But you are obviously trying to twist what I said. It only took you one post to prove to me that you have no intention of discussing anything with any honesty. Good luck with that approach in life.

Last edited:

rapugee???

that's the first time I've heard of that term. that must be a recent thing... you clowns actually believe there are more rapes from refugees? lol..

the majority of the rapes (up to 3/4) are from people you know, friends and acquaintances or someone you work or live close by. Seldom is rape random (like a stranger hiding in a park waiting for a pretty girl to jog by but that shit happens also). Unless the average person is only related to immigrants and/or works with them, chances they are more likely to be raped by a non-immigrant.

so ummm yeah... stop being scared of immigrants ya scaredy kitty kat...

rapugee???

that's the first time I've heard of that term. that must be a recent thing... you clowns actually believe there are more rapes from refugees? lol..

the majority of the rapes (up to 3/4) are from people you know, friends and acquaintances or someone you work or live close by. Seldom is rape random (like a stranger hiding in a park waiting for a pretty girl to jog by but that shit happens also). Unless the average person is only related to immigrants and/or works with them, chances they are more likely to be raped by a non-immigrant.

so ummm yeah... stop being scared of immigrants ya scaredy kitty kat...

Lol, man your weak. Because of the influx in refugees, on new years eve Germany had a rape crisis in one night.
Guess you never seen Sweden's rape stats.
There is a direct correlation between the increase of refugees with the increase in rape.

That is why Sweden is now called the rape capital

Like the claim that people think about refugees when they hear the word rape.

Also that liberals have been pushing for lighter sentencing for child rapists and have been replacing the term child rapist with other, more "benign" terms, when in fact all of those words have been in use forever.

why would you think liberals are the ones pushing for lighter sentences??? I don't know of any liberals who think that way. generally its the family and friends of the perpetrator who push for lighter sentences regardless of whether they're liberal or conservative.

personally I think we should give lighter sentences or drop them to a misdemeanor for stupid shit like marijuana, or if some drunk guy accidently pisses on school property at night when there's no one around for example, or stealing (there was a thread of an immigrant cleaner a little earlier who could have gone to jail for 20 years for stealing 5k worth of jewelry which is asinine). But other shit like rape (especially rape that is proven from multiple rape kits linked to one suspect) should be a slam dunk and jail time should be increased..

Back