Proof that boxing is dead

their fights were good but still does not compare to a top level MMA fight where anything can happen, someone can go stiff at the blink of an eye, a submission or takedown can come, etc

you just knew those guys were going decision
Dude the fix was in in both fights. I don't expect knockouts in high level boxing. I expect to see high level chess played out with punches.

Triple G won both fights but instead we got a draw and a Canelo win. People aren't stupid and are actually pissed with both outcomes.

Boxing might as well be scripted.

Boxing fans have never given a shit about Asian flyweight fighters.
Hell, the only fighter from the lower weights that most fans can name is Naseem Hamed, and he's been retired for over 15 years.

No one gives a shit about those division in boxing though, most hardcores don't even watch it and I quote "not watching people who can fit in a frying pan".

Boxing will never die. The top boxers still get paid much more than top mma fighters.

Inoue did huge ratings for his fight on Saturday. Boxing is very popular in Japan and MMA is dead there.

Why not compare them to Khabib-Conor?
Or let's just go to Mayweather vs Pacquiao against any 2 fights for MMA. Boxing has the highest drawing fight of all time over anything in MMA by a significant distance.

AJ and Canelo would disagree with you.

Comparing those two to the biggest fight in mma history as a means to judge where the two sports are at this moment in time, is ludicrous.
He wanted to compare it to the the biggest fight in boxing this year.... i fail to see the difference.

He wanted to compare it to the the biggest fight in boxing this year.... i fail to see the difference.
Cos it wasn't the biggest fight in boxing this year.
Canelo vs Golovkin was by far the biggest fight in boxing this year.

MMA had it's chance to kill boxing. It's failed. MMA's only star is Conor. If he goes like people want him to, it'll be back to spike TV as a niche sport for the UFC within a few years.

Boxing has a resurgent HW division with a ton of fights to make like Wilder v. Fury, Wilder v. Joshua. Tons of interesting more fights like Crawford vs. Spence Jr. Tons of stars, Lomachenko, Canelo, and Floyd still hiding about, even Conor.

Cos it wasn't the biggest fight in boxing this year.
Canelo vs Golovkin was by far the biggest fight in boxing this year.
I was unaware you were from the future and could tell me the biggest fight of the year. The fight on Dec. 1 is a far bigger fight in my eyes. Even if the GGG fight was it still only sold 1.1million.

their fights were good but still does not compare to a top level MMA fight where anything can happen, someone can go stiff at the blink of an eye, a submission or takedown can come, etc

you just knew those guys were going decision

I don't buy either. I go to the bar to see fights. Boxing bouts are good but I generally can guess who is going to win most often. I am admittedly a Mayweather fan, but truthfully I am not paying $100 for what he does. I can get a ticket at a live local event very close to the ring for that price.

I wouldn't pay for UFC PPV either. Again, I would go to the bar. If someone goes stiff at the blink of an eye, it would be impressive, but I'd still be irritated I paid for it considering it wasn't much of a fight. lol

I read the fight had 5m viewers in Japan (it may have even been just a region of Japan). That's anything but "dead".

Inoue, a guy who fights at a weight that isn't even on the radar in MMA, did better numbers in exclusively the greater Tokyo area than a UFC FOX card has ever done in the entire US, and this is somehow evidence that boxing is dead. This is a fascinating thought process.

Compared to the level of prestige boxing used to enjoy in the mainstream, I think it has probably declined.

I think McGregor is the biggest star in combat sports. In terms of popularity, and relevance I think he has surpassed Floyd (not money).

Boxing seems to be becoming more of an acquired taste, MMA seems to be more widely accepted especially with the younger generations.

However, boxing is not dead.

Inoue, a guy who fights at a weight that isn't even on the radar in MMA, did better numbers in exclusively the greater Tokyo area than a UFC FOX card has ever done in the entire US, and this is somehow evidence that boxing is dead. This is a fascinating thought process.

What's popular is relative I think to where you are. Are we talking about globally or the American market?

I wouldn't argue against MMA having more mass appeal in America than boxing does.

However, as you just presented it's all relative to where you are.

Back