Promotion Thread (Brown Belt)

Jagcorps_esq

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
47386233-10215700546284717-9052720221541892096-o.jpg

I got my brown belt last night. I've been training for around 10 years, but 8.5 years under an actual BJJ black belt. 4.5 years total as a purple belt.

Purple belt was a real struggle for me. Shortly after I got my purple, I was injured at home. After about 4 months of recovery, I was injured again in class and that took another 4 months of recovery. Shortly after that, I was injured snow boarding and that took another 3 months of recovery, so a great first year. I decided my first purple belt was cursed and so I had Professor Rickson Gracie sign it during a seminar I was fortunate enough to attend, and then I bought another belt to train in.

Shortly after that, I was asked to move to a different city and do an active duty tour, which required me to move to a new school and hardly train for my first year there.

All told, I spent 2.5 years at purple belt just trying to get back to where I thought I was when I received it and then the last 2 years at purple trying to earn my brown belt.

So basically, the moral of the story is....don't quit and get rid of cursed belts.

Last edited:
Awesome! Congrats! I see you’re a lawyer-reservist Navy bubba!! I’m a former AD navy, turned ANG, turned AFRes. I know all about the military service interfering with training!! :) Glad you are keeping with it.

Awesome! Congrats! I see you’re a lawyer-reservist Navy bubba!! I’m a former AD navy, turned ANG, turned AFRes. I know all about the military service interfering with training!! :) Glad you are keeping with it.

Actually Army as an enlisted and then now Air Force as an officer. All branches call us JAG's.

But yes, military service can cut into training time. I do a lot of extra time (I average about 150 days a year extra), so it's worse than typical reserve time. The military has been good to me though, so it's not something I regret.

Congratulations.
I'm just coming back myself from a break in training at purple belt. Taking some inspiration here.

Congrats!!! Purple belt is the hardest to get through IMO. Brown is just a black on probation, as they say.

Congrats! Had to look at the date stamp on the first post because I KNOW you've been around F12 for the longest. I agree, Purple is the hardest belt.

Congrats Sir.

I feel the pain. As an active duty Coastie (BMC, 16 years and counting, judo or bjj for the last 13) it seems like just as I'm getting accepted into a new club (and properly conditioned after a sea tour with no grappling) I'm PCS'ing...

I've been in Judo Brown belt purgatory since 2009, when I made 1st degree brown, then made 2nd in 2015 after a bad injury....hope to make 3rd before 2020 but again new school, new sensei, new criteria

Back