Programming RDL's

Raiman

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I've been using RDL's to strengthen my glutes and hamstrings for the Deadlift, mostly doing 6-8 sets of 10 using 135 to 185. I don't think this has helped me.

Yesterday, I used them at 40-45% of my Deadlift for 10's and 8's and felt these heavier sets hit my hamstrings better.

Would using 60-65% for 6-8 be more effective? I used this same line of thinking for incline work (60-65% for 3-5 sets of 6-8) and made some modest improvements to my bench.

Thoughts?

That's probably a bit too light. Less sets, less reps, more weight.

Also, make sure you're feeling what you're supposed to be feeling. Load up your hammies, glutes, and lower back to initiate the pull.

That's probably a bit too light. Less sets, less reps, more weight.

Also, make sure you're feeling what you're supposed to be feeling. Load up your hammies, glutes, and lower back to initiate the pull.

I've been loading the lift correctly I just felt the lighter weight didn't stimulate the body the way I wanted or was effective.

So heavier like sets of 3 @ like 80-90%?

I've been loading the lift correctly I just felt the lighter weight didn't stimulate the body the way I wanted or was effective.

So heavier like sets of 3 @ like 80-90%?

You do them weekly?
I have found 4x8 to be my sweet spot. If I hit 4x8, I increase the weight for the next time I stick to a weight if I can't. But Jim's advice is solid. really make sure you feel the feels.

You do them weekly?
I have found 4x8 to be my sweet spot. If I hit 4x8, I increase the weight for the next time I stick to a weight if I can't. But Jim's advice is solid. really make sure you feel the feels.

I've been doing them as a pull movement every week for about 5 months but only recently started to do them with anything significant. I think the idea was to work the muscle and not the movement but I would do 50+ reps and while I felt the stretch in the hamstrings and glutes it's almost as if it wasn't enough stimulus to actually add strength, hence; why I started to program them as a % of my Deadlift. Just trying to figure the % and rep range. I'm actually feeling sore from Saturdays work at 45%.

I guess 45% of your true 1RM isn't a terrible weight to be doing for sets of 8.

You could also just check out Prilepin's Table and play around from there.

Prilepins-Chart.png

When it comes to RDLs for assistance, I'd probably stay away from the 80-90%+ range. I've seen some guys, like Tom Martin, doing RDLs for very heavy singles, but you're not him.

Last edited:
I would do sldls over rdls IMO but either way i would programming simply by doing 5-8 repsx3 when you make 8 on the first set and the last set doesnt drop below 5 i would bump it up 5 pounds the next week

I would do sldls over rdls

Yes, because you're OP and everyone has the same exercise needs.

Both are fine. Both target the same muscles, but you can generally use much more weight with RDLs.

I guess 45% of your true 1RM isn't a terrible weight to be doing for sets of 8.

You could also just check out Prilepin's Table and play around from there.

Prilepins-Chart.png

When it comes to RDLs for assistance, I'd probably stay away from the 80-90%+ range. I've seen some guys, like Tom Martin, doing RDLs for very heavy singles, but you're not him.

Thanks for this. The table is something I've never seen before.

Yes, because you're OP and everyone has the same exercise needs.

Both are fine. Both target the same muscles, but you can generally use much more weight with RDLs.

no argument just a recommendation....the long range of motion though

Did these at the end of my weightlifting today. 505# x 5 :cool:

Would using 60-65% for 6-8 be more effective? I used this same line of thinking for incline work (60-65% for 3-5 sets of 6-8) and made some modest improvements to my bench.

Thoughts?
That's what I do.

Back