Programming questions

yettobe

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Ive read through the FAQ's and have stumbled on a couple of things...

First of all I'm getting back into some training after a long lay off due to focussing on work etc. Ive last trained BJJ around 2 years ago but was only once per week for a short time before this was around 2 years prior. So haven't really moved much in the last 4 years other than some cycling and some attempts at starting the gym etc.

But I started lifting again a few months back just bro split/powerbuilding style. Now I'm finding time to get to the gym consistently I've decided to do starting strength which I've done previously with some decent progress. A couple years ago i read through all Joel Jamieson's stuff and thought id like to put some of it into practice.

So basically, I read a lot of people saying to do strength stuff and then the conditioning will come from doing your sport - I'm not really going back to BJJ just yet but if i do in the future I'd like to be in better shape rather than just turning up at the gym everyday and doing whatever.

Would something like this work...

Monday - Strength
Tuesday - Aerobic base stuff - 40 - 60mins LISS
Wednesday - Strength
Thursday - Aerobic base stuff - 40 - 60mins LISS
Friday - Strength

Do I have Saturday and Sunday off or fit in some HIIT stuff?
Am i right in leaving HIIT out until i build an aerobic base?
Do i wait for my aerobic base to improve to then replace those days with higher intensity conditioning days?

Sounds fine. You can do that for about a month and then add in an extra day of HIT, or do HIT on one of the LISS days instead, or do a HIT session on one of the strength days.

There's no magic formula, so don't overthink the details. Generally, build your aerobic base first and then do HIT.

Remember, have fun with it!

Sounds fine. You can do that for about a month and then add in an extra day of HIT, or do HIT on one of the LISS days instead, or do a HIT session on one of the strength days.

There's no magic formula, so don't overthink the details. Generally, build your aerobic base first and then do HIT.

Remember, have fun with it!

Thanks, I think with all the information around now it's so confusing with 'don't just do aimless HIIT with HR monitor' and all the talk of people wasting time not getting their conditioning any better by doing standard programs. Maybe my cardio isn't elite enough to worry about this for now.

Thanks, I think with all the information around now it's so confusing with 'don't just do aimless HIIT with HR monitor' and all the talk of people wasting time not getting their conditioning any better by doing standard programs. Maybe my cardio isn't elite enough to worry about this for now.
I know what you mean. Information overload and analysis paralysis. I think you got the right idea though, so just get started, be consistent, have fun and see where it takes you. You will benefit without a doubt.

I feel you're not it a professional athlete, then it doesn't really matter, but I do agree that some structure will be better.

If you plan on working out for the rest of your life (again, in the context of NOT being a competitive athlete) then what you do for a few weeks doesn't really matter over the course of a lifetime.

Just make sure you aren't progressing yourself too fast.

Sure there is ideal. You probably want to do your eccentric cardiac hypertrophy training for a few weeks, then do you're HIIT after.

great posts, dudes.

your answers are the best bottom line common sense advice for 50 million "amateur" threads out there.

this should be in the FAQs.

great posts, dudes.

your answers are the best bottom line common sense advice for 50 million "amateur" threads out there.

this should be in the FAQs.
Thanks corpse, you're always contributing constructively to the conversation as well!

I know what you mean. Information overload and analysis paralysis. I think you got the right idea though, so just get started, be consistent, have fun and see where it takes you. You will benefit without a doubt.

I feel you're not it a professional athlete, then it doesn't really matter, but I do agree that some structure will be better.

If you plan on working out for the rest of your life (again, in the context of NOT being a competitive athlete) then what you do for a few weeks doesn't really matter over the course of a lifetime.

Just make sure you aren't progressing yourself too fast.

Sure there is ideal. You probably want to do your eccentric cardiac hypertrophy training for a few weeks, then do you're HIIT after.

Thanks to both of you. Kinda the answer I wanted to hear also!

Back