Programming advice for my weak ass bench

EL CORINTHIAN

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Here are some stats that I know some will ask for.

Dry Morning weight:178lbs
Daily calories: 2,500
Program: feirce 5 intermediate upper/lower (with some slight alterations for lower days keeping my back injury in mind)
Some PRs for perspective:
standing mill press 165x2
Front squat 300x2, 225x10
Back squat 315x8,350x2
Deadlift 405x5, 365x12 (I no longer do conventional deadlift So its probably lower)
Close grip bench:240x1.....Yes I was stronger on close grip once upon a time than normal bench.
Weighted pull up: 240x5, 290x1

Historically I have been an extremely shitty bencher and currently I am stuck at 200lbs for 3x5. I have ran through the laundry list of issues including form, muscular imbalances (addressing my shoulders/triceps overpowering my chest), frequency ect ect.

If it was up to me I would simply run a higher frequency powerlifting program which usually helps (not too much in my case) but unfortunately my back cannot take it any more and as a result the rest of my body suffers in the long run. The program I'm currently on allows me to progress on virtually everything else with the exception of my bench press so I'm hoping I can find a progression scheme that I can sort of implant withim the confines of this program. Here are the upper days from the program.

Upper A
Bench 3x5
Incline Bench 3x8
Lat Pulldowns 3x8 (any grip)
Bent Over Rows 3x8
Curls 3x10/Reverse Flies 3x12 Superset

Upper B
OHP 3x5
Flies 3x10
Pullups 3x8
Pendlay Rows 3x8
Face Pulls 3x12/Tricep pressdowns 3x10 Superset

I realize looking at this the first thing people will say is that there is only one day where you are benching which isn't a great start and I do agree, I could very well add in another bench day but everything else is steadily going up and Im pretty much exactly where I was before with higher frequency.

I'm open to any ideas/criticism. So far what I thought was this
-Higher volume and reduction of weight 3x10-12, 5x5 ect
-sub out OHP for incline bar bench on Upper B
-Have faith and add a temporary block of twice a week benching
-implant a 5/3/1 progression scheme for bench day

- gain weight
- bench more frequently
- become more proficient at the movement
- bench more frequently
- gain weight
- sheiko

- gain weight
- bench more frequently
- become more proficient at the movement
- bench more frequently
- gain weight
- sheiko
Do you think something like sheiko would be alright for someone with a previous back injury? It's one of the only PL programs that I would entertain considering its submaximal weights

Do you think something like sheiko would be alright for someone with a previous back injury? It's one of the only PL programs that I would entertain considering its submaximal weights
If you are now deadlifting 405 for reps why are you worrying about the previous back injury? Just lift.

There's no secret. I'm not a good bencher, so the miracle cure silver bullet instant success program I've used is to work on it really hard for a year. Sure enough, it's resulted in some PR's. Just lift. Lift harder and more often. Eat more and rest more and eat better. Start a log here. Good luck.

If you are now deadlifting 405 for reps why are you worrying about the previous back injury? Just lift.

There's no secret. I'm not a good bencher, so the miracle cure silver bullet instant success program I've used is to work on it really hard for a year. Sure enough, it's resulted in some PR's. Just lift. Lift harder and more often. Eat more and rest more and eat better. Start a log here. Good luck.
That was in the past. I don't conventional deadlift anymore and haven't for about two years. Thanks for the advice, Im going to keep trucking on.

I have a horrible bench press compared to my other lifts. I also just tweaked my back when I had the flu, so I'm also not deadlifting and squatting very low volume and fairly low intensity. I'm benching a shitload though. I haven't texted my max, but I think I'm finally making some progress. The trick for me has been benching a lot more, high volume (for example, today I did 10 sets of 5), and also doing dumbbell/bro assistance work. When I got into lifting, a lot of people frowned on isolation work and it didn't really hinder me too much in squats and deads. I now think dumbbell work, isolation work, "bro" lifting, etc. is pretty important for bench. And my back hasn't felt bad at all in any of my benching sessions.

I have a horrible bench press compared to my other lifts. I also just tweaked my back when I had the flu, so I'm also not deadlifting and squatting very low volume and fairly low intensity. I'm benching a shitload though. I haven't texted my max, but I think I'm finally making some progress. The trick for me has been benching a lot more, high volume (for example, today I did 10 sets of 5), and also doing dumbbell/bro assistance work. When I got into lifting, a lot of people frowned on isolation work and it didn't really hinder me too much in squats and deads. I now think dumbbell work, isolation work, "bro" lifting, etc. is pretty important for bench. And my back hasn't felt bad at all in any of my benching sessions.
That's interesting i actually thought of doing 10x5 instead of 5x10 to get in some more quality volume.

Most of my high rep work has been with dumbbells. I'll do a top set every now and then with a barbell at high reps. Honestly, I'm looking at it almost completely different than I used to. I never used to think in terms of building muscle, but that's how I think of it now with benching.

Bench 3 x week, wave the loads from week to week so you're not near your max every workout.

When you say wave the loads do you mean sort of like one week 70% then 80% and then 90%?

That's one way to do it. You can also play with the volume/reps. So during lighter weeks (70%-75%) play in a higher rep range like 6-8. When you start getting into heavier territory (80%+) return to the more traditional 3-5 rep range.

Add a little weight (5-10lbs) every 3-9 weeks, or stay with the same loads until you feel like you "own" the weight before moving on.

Or just use all those Sheiko templates that take care of the thinking for you.

Or just use all those Sheiko templates that take care of the thinking for you.
Considering my history with back injury I can't exactly afford to let a program do the thinking for me, I actually have to use my brain before doing something like sheiko. If it's plausible to kind of implant the bench portion of sheiko in my current upper/lower than I would be willing to but I'm not sure my body can handle the full thing otherwise.

Considering my history with back injury I can't exactly afford to let a program do the thinking for me, I actually have to use my brain before doing something like sheiko. If it's plausible to kind of implant the bench portion of sheiko in my current upper/lower than I would be willing to but I'm not sure my body can handle the full thing otherwise.

Okay, your shit isn't adding up here, man. Is your back injured, or is it not injured?

Can you fix the back injury, or is it permanent/chronic?

You don't have to do the full Sheiko programming. I'm recommending you only use the bench portions of the programs.

I never mind helping, but you're starting to get a little frustrating.

Okay, your shit isn't adding up here, man. Is your back injured, or is it not injured?

Can you fix the back injury, or is it permanent/chronic?

It's a herniation of the L5-S1 that has regressed but it never truly heals so its hard for me to answer that question. To be clear, at this very moment im not technically "injured" and feel just fine, but unfortunately that can change rather quickly if im not being smart.

It happened 10 years ago but i have had 3 pretty severe flare ups in that time that make in near impossible to cross the intermediate advanced level. Once i pass 300+ for the squat or 400+ for the deadlift my back simply cannot take it in the long run so i just gave up on powerlifting. No it does not currently hurt and hasn't genuinely hurt for about 3 years minus some tweaks here and there.

You don't have to do the full Sheiko programming. I'm recommending you only use the bench portions of the programs.
Ok thats interesting. Which template do you think would be suitable?

I never mind helping, but you're starting to get a little frustrating.
Welcome to my life.

Running 29, 30, 31 and 32 will probably work just fine. You'll bench three times a week usually, you'll do a lot of volume before getting to 90+% and then get to max out early in cycle 32.
I just learned that in about twenty minutes by using google btw., I'll do the same.

I have good luck just running sheiko 29 deloading for a week and running again when I feel ready. Doing this I've benched 415, squatted 500 sans wraps, and deadlifted 625. Had to gain weight like jim said. Weighed in in 238 fully dressed for the meet I did. Was around 230 probably.

Last edited:
Running 29, 30, 31 and 32 will probably work just fine. You'll bench three times a week usually, you'll do a lot of volume before getting to 90+% and then get to max out early in cycle 32.
I just learned that in about twenty minutes by using google btw., I'll do the same.

32 is a meet prep cycle, so you can skip that one.

29, 30, 31 is a good lineup, though.

Sheiko recently added bench only programs to the Sheiko app. I believe they are an in-app purchase, though (and i have no idea how much it costs in addition to the $12 the app costs)

Throw those old ass numbers away, they're meaningless.

As far as benching, like Jimmy Rustler said, get better at the movement and do it more frequently. My bench was shit and I started a push/pull program that has me benching twice a week. Bench has shot up 50lbs from where I was stuck at a little over a month ago.

Or realize the bench is the shittiest of the big 3 and don't worry how much you can bench.

Back