Professional Fighters League (PFL) secures $28m investment

With all the recent downpeaks in mma consumption and popularity , now is literally the worst time to invest big in mma imo.
Maybe they're counting on a growth in MMA once UFC gets on ESPN?

theres a klingon in brooks' corner!

As long as Ali is not aiding muslim terrorist organizations I say good for him. I'm happy that there is another option for MMA fighters. Long live the PFL.
Apparently you don’t know his history with LFL, if you applaud his efforts.

This is an idea that sounds good on paper but in reality the prize fighting game doesn't work like a seasonal sport league.

Do they really think they are smarter than every single group to put on prize fights before them? Don't they wonder why this has never been done successfully before?

There would be a boxing league in existence for decades if this was a reasonable format.

What are they gonna do with all the money? More promotion? Time buys after NBC kicks them out? I doubt they will make any serious acquisitions unless they spend a chunk of that cash on 1 fighter
I would think Turner Sports (TBS and TNT) and FOX Sports (FS1 and FS2) would be companies that the PFL would look to get to the negotiating table to discuss a new television deal.

This is an idea that sounds good on paper but in reality the prize fighting game doesn't work like a seasonal sport league.

Do they really think they are smarter than every single group to put on prize fights before them? Don't they wonder why this has never been done successfully before?

There would be a boxing league in existence for decades if this was a reasonable format.
Actually, a tournament format MMA organization was successful. It was so successful that it attracted the attention of Viacom and Viacom bought it. We know it as Bellator. Under Bjorn Rebney, Bellator built up their own star, Pat Curran, Joe Warren, Ben Askren, Michael Chandler, Patricio Pitbull Freire, Douglas Lima, and others. Built up it's own fan base and established itself as a legitimate MMA organization. And Bjorn Rebney did that in just six years, 2008 -2014. The Professional Fighters League is just starting up, so like anything, it takes time.

Let's be honest guys, theres no way PFL recoups their investors money. As an MMA fan, this is great news though
You do understand business investments are usually about the long term payoff and not a short term windfall. With networks like TNT and TBS and FS1 and FS2 looking for programming, the PFL investors are in good shape to recoup their investment.

I now actually believe the winners will get their million dollars!
Those in charge paid the WSOF somewhere in the range of $60 million dollars to purchase the WSOF to become the Professional Fighters League, of course, the fighters were going to get paid.

Jesus, imagine how financially retarded you'd have to be to invest in PFL or any second-rate mma organization. Someone should let Kevin Hart know they were called WSOF a year ago and changed their whole format and name because they were so poorly run they went out of business.

Ten?! I'll be impressed if they're regularly putting shows on in THREE years from now. Fuck it, I'm feeling confident- make that two. Look at their ratings.
Seriously? Financial retarded? Those investors are so financially retarded to be multi-millionaires, own NHL and NBA teams, own MGM Digital, and so forth. Those people aren't millionaires by being stupid.

Actually, a tournament format MMA organization was successful. It was so successful that it attracted the attention of Viacom and Viacom bought it. We know it as Bellator. Under Bjorn Rebney, Bellator built up their own star, Pat Curran, Joe Warren, Ben Askren, Michael Chandler, Patricio Pitbull Freire, Douglas Lima, and others. Built up it's own fan base and established itself as a legitimate MMA organization. And Bjorn Rebney did that in just six years, 2008 -2014. The Professional Fighters League is just starting up, so like anything, it takes time.
It's not to the same degree, but I got into Rizin because of their tournaments, all of which went smoothly. And I've watched all the TUF seasons where the tournaments led to a title fight, and they've always figured out ways to make them work, even if a fighter had to pull out (ex. Nicco vs. Roxanne).

I think the key for PFL is to not treat injuries like it's the end of the world. It's the fighters jobs to stay healthy, and if they don't then you simply give the million dollar opportunity to the next guy in the standings. Simple.

As long as PFL can tell the story it's fine. They can even get ahead of it, and tell audiences the finalists are A vs. B, but if B can't show up then C gets to jump in (or something like that).

Last edited:
It's not to the same degree, but I got into Rizin because of their tournaments, all of which went smoothly. And I've watched all the TUF seasons where the tournaments lead to a title fight, and they've always figured out ways to make them work, even if a fighter had to pull out (ex. Nicco vs. Roxanne).

I think the key for PFL is to not treat injuries like it's the end of the world. It's the fighters jobs to stay healthy, and if they don't then you simply give the million dollar opportunity to the next guy in the standings. Simple.

As long as PFL can tell the story it's fine. They can even get ahead of it, and tell audiences the finalists are A vs. B, but if B can't show up then C gets to jump in (or something like that).

Great post man

I really don't see why people are bleeding their money for PFL. But I am glad they are. The system to me isn't working at all. Rather they just do a tourney style like old Bellator. Too many dudes missing weight getting byes or guys falling out. Isn't a realistic way to do it.

But the more MMA the better.
Too many dudes missing weight? How about giving a number to that very generic statement. Too many guys falling out? How about, how many? The PFL Format is working, fighters are fighting, the standings are there for everyone to see. The crowds are getting more lively. And people with money are investing. Those are all signs that the PFL is working. Now to get off of NBCSN and onto. TBS or TNT or FS1 or FS2.

Injuries will completely derail their plans lol. Have fun legitimizing a "super bowl" of the sport when one of the two fighters is injured and replaced.

MMA Tournies are great on paper but rarely work out on a reasonable schedule
So outside of Dave Jansen, who was the injured fighter Bellator had to replace in the tournament finals? And Bellator did tournaments for 6 years under Bjorn Rebney and off the top of my head I can only think of Dave Jansen being replaced because of injury. Tournament formats do work in MMA. Bellator proved that here in America.

It's not to the same degree, but I got into Rizin because of their tournaments, all of which went smoothly. And I've watched all the TUF seasons where the tournaments led to a title fight, and they've always figured out ways to make them work, even if a fighter had to pull out (ex. Nicco vs. Roxanne).

Carlos Silva and Ray Sefo have already stated the PFL has contingencies in place because of injury and other factors and fans can go to the PFL site and read up on those contingencies.

Too many dudes missing weight? How about giving a number to that very generic statement. Too many guys falling out? How about, how many? The PFL Format is working, fighters are fighting, the standings are there for everyone to see. The crowds are getting more lively. And people with money are investing. Those are all signs that the PFL is working. Now to get off of NBCSN and onto. TBS or TNT or FS1 or FS2.

WEIGHT MISSES:
There were two fighters who missed weight so far.

SHAWN JORDAN: But that had nothing to do with the tournament format, as it was the first main event of the season.

EFRAIN ESCUDERO: Who missed in both his fights and was thus promptly pulled from the tournament.

PULL OUTS:
In terms of pull outs there has actually been a few, but I think PFL has been on the ball at making adjustments* and always seemingly having extra fighters on standby**. Examples below.

*Fights were set been Magomedov/Idrisov and Valiev/Coville, but when Idrisov and Coville got pulled, PFL made Magomedov/Valiev.

**Paul Bradley recently pulled from bout with Rick Story, so PFL promptly replaced him with newcomer Carlton Minus.

Last edited:
WEIGHT MISSES:

SHAWN JORDAN: But that had nothing to do with the tournament format, as it was the first main event of the season.

EFRAIN ESCUDERO: Who missed in both his fights and was thus promptly pulled from the tournament.

PULL OUTS:
In terms of pull outs there has actually been a few, but I think PFL has been on the ball at making adjustments* and always seemingly having extra fighters on standby**. Examples below.

*Fights were set been Magomedov/Idrisov and Valiev/Coville, but when Idrisov and Coville got pulled, PFL made Magomedov/Valiev.

**Paul Bradley recently pulled from bout with Rick Story, so PFL promptly replaced him with newcomer Carlton Minus.
Precisely what I meant by stating
WEIGHT MISSES:

PULL OUTS:

Further proving my point that VIP1349 posted a very generic statement about too many fighters missing weight and too many fighters pulling out.

Precisely what I meant by stating

Further proving my point that VIP1349 posted a very generic statement about too many fighters missing weight and too many fighters pulling out.
It wasn't a completely unfounded statement, and he may have more to add to it, but yes, it doesn't seem so bad in my opinion.

Plus I'd just say that not everything should be immediately blamed on the tournament. Rashid Magomedov pulled out of his bout with Jason High for example, but that was also going to be Rashid's first bout in 16 months, so not really a tournament specific issue.

So outside of Dave Jansen, who was the injured fighter Bellator had to replace in the tournament finals? And Bellator did tournaments for 6 years under Bjorn Rebney and off the top of my head I can only think of Dave Jansen being replaced because of injury. Tournament formats do work in MMA. Bellator proved that here in America.

Strikeforce HW tourney anyone?

And Bellator tournies also had issues and their current one is not on a reasonable timetable at all. Real sports rely on strict schedules, something the Bellator HW tourney does not. I guarantee that something will fall apart if they move forward with this.

The top fighters should fight when they are ready/healthy and the champs should fight the top contender. Trying to get everyone on the same time schedule and assume no one will get hurt is naive as fuck. The better fighters have more to lose by fighting hurt, which is why the pull out more than no names in past Bellator tournies

All we need is a league where fighters have part ownership and fair pay, that also adheres strictly to rankings. No more gifting of title fights to sell more tickets and PPVs like WME. A tourney or playoff format falls apart with one big injury

PFL might actually sign some big names if they can guarantee that $1million tournament winner prize. Or at least get somewhere close to that number.

Imagine a guy like Eddie Alvarez who is a free agent and will get a less than $100k/fight offer from the UFC. He could take the risk of fighting a handful of times in the PFL and making more money on less fights than if he were to carry on with the UFC. Just some food for thought on how PFL has potential to sign bigger names.

Problem is fighting so often has a huge chance of injury and it's unappealing to free agents.They have a lucrative platform to offer up but still the basics is fighting alot in a short span of time.Another problem is what will happen with the winners of this season?

Do they sit out months on end waiting for a challenger to be named?this was one of the huge setbacks for early bellator. Also guys who were runner up or lost in the finals very rarely want to go through another season for a title shot.

It's very good to see PFL get some money to keep them afloat it's good to have a few viable options but they still need alot of fine tuning to make something out of what they got.Atleast they have some time now.

Apparently you don’t know his history with LFL, if you applaud his efforts.
What does the LFL stand for? What is it? I read that he was allegedly mixed up with muslim terrorist organizations a while ago. But that is why I said IF he is NOT aiding any terrorist organizations. If he is still aiding them on the down low then obviously the man needs to go to prison. I really hope he has had a change of heart. However, truth be told fanatics usually never change.

Back