Professional Fighters League (PFL) secures $28m investment

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by FrankieNYC, Aug 8, 2018.

1. FrankieNYC

FrankieNYC "My balls was hot!" Platinum Member

https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...l-Fighters-League-PFL-Continues-Reimagine-MMA

The Professional Fighters League (PFL) announced it has closed $28 million Series B equity investment from a group of sports, entertainment, and business titans, including Kevin Hart, actor, comedian, and entrepreneur; Mark Burnett, Chairman Worldwide Television Group MGM, unscripted TV pioneer, and producer; Tony Robbins, legendary speaker, author, entrepreneur, and life-strategist; and Ted Leonsis, majority owner of NHL 2018 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals and NBA Washington Wizards, as well as a sports-tech visionary.

Additional investors in this PFL Series B round include: Elysian Park Ventures; SWaN Ventures; Debra Cafaro, Chairman/CEO, Ventas Inc. and Minority Owner of the Pittsburgh Penguins (NHL); Mark Leschly, Managing Partner, Iconica Ventures; and Brandon Beck, co-founder of Riot Games and co-creator of League of Legends.

The Professional Fighters League is the first ever to bring the fan-friendly sports calendar format to mixed martial arts (MMA), where individual fighters compete in a regular season, single-elimination playoff, and season-ending championship. This same format has ignited audiences, built media value, and delivered for sponsors in major sports leagues such as the NFL, NBA, MLB & NHL.

2. RODNEY83

RODNEY83 Orange Belt

I LOVE IT. The Professional Fighters League looks like it is going the direction of signing with FOX SPORTS or TURNER SPORTS for their future television exposure with the investors they have.

3. FrankieNYC

I love this
    Another financially healthy org is great
    With DAZN getting Bellator out of the red (hopefully), this is a great time for MMA orgs to have some financial stability in down interest

4. FrankieNYC

Turner was after UFC but couldn't due to the timing.
    Hopefully you are right, but I see FS1 mainly due to the void they have in programming since UFC left

5. Queen B

Queen B Silver Belt

What are they gonna do with all the money? More promotion? Time buys after NBC kicks them out? I doubt they will make any serious acquisitions unless they spend a chunk of that cash on 1 fighter

6. Danespina

Danespina Gold Belt

After that whole "why is PFL failing" topic, this is great news. It basically assures that all fighters will get paid, that there will be a season 2, and suggests that there must be something working. Can't wait for the next event.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  7. Danespina

Danespina Gold Belt

3 areas they mentioned are...
    - Expansion of the PFL roster and talent development for future PFL seasons
    - Developent of new shoulder programming about PFL fighters
    - Analytics-driven stats to further break down fights for PFL viewers

8. Frank23

Frank23 New York Belt Platinum Member

Where is PFL ten years from now?

9. JimGunn

JimGunn Silver Belt

I'm happy to hear this. I am enjoying the hell out of PFL so I hope it continues for five+ years like WSOF did.

10. Kinger85

Kinger85 Gold Belt

I now actually believe the winners will get their million dollars!

11. Kalmah

Kalmah Gold Belt

Jesus, imagine how financially retarded you'd have to be to invest in PFL or any second-rate mma organization. Someone should let Kevin Hart know they were called WSOF a year ago and changed their whole format and name because they were so poorly run they went out of business.

Ten?! I'll be impressed if they're regularly putting shows on in THREE years from now. Fuck it, I'm feeling confident- make that two. Look at their ratings.

12. VIP1349

VIP1349 Silver Belt

I really don't see why people are bleeding their money for PFL. But I am glad they are. The system to me isn't working at all. Rather they just do a tourney style like old Bellator. Too many dudes missing weight getting byes or guys falling out. Isn't a realistic way to do it.

But the more MMA the better.

2004 account likes this.
  13. JimGunn

JimGunn Silver Belt

You sound like the guys who said WSOF was going to fold every year from 2012 to 2017 when they changed names and formats to PFL and now they are still going with the same management under a new brand.

14. FrankieNYC

I'll never get fans that root for MMA orgs to go out of business
    I'm not saying @Kalmah is doing that, but reading your back & forth made me think about how so many on here do that.

15. carelessandheem

carelessandheem Orange Belt

just glad this at least ensures payouts for season 1, was real doubtful

16. FrodoFraggins

FrodoFraggins Black Belt

Injuries will completely derail their plans lol. Have fun legitimizing a "super bowl" of the sport when one of the two fighters is injured and replaced.

MMA Tournies are great on paper but rarely work out on a reasonable schedule

2004 account likes this.
  17. Go Go Plata

Go Go Plata Black Belt

Let's be honest guys, theres no way PFL recoups their investors money. As an MMA fan, this is great news though

Shadess, GSP_37, beefcake180 and 2 others like this.
  18. Danespina

Danespina Gold Belt

Marl Burnett, whose executive producer credits include Survivor and Shark Tank, on why he made the investment.

“This is a big sports opportunity. The most valuable thing in media right now is content that can drive subscription opportunities.”

@FrankieNYC. Anything to say about that quote?

19. FrankieNYC

Well ...
    ESPN+ & DAZN (over) paying for MMA backs him up that it seems like content distributors feel that way

20. Danespina

Danespina Gold Belt

So they're banking on creating a product that can eventually be sold to something like DAZN?

Go Go Plata and FrontNakedChoke like this.