Problem with Front Squat Rack Position

Not everyone can get into an OLY style grip. I never could get my shoulder/wrist flexibility there, and so I always did a mummy/zombie or genie style front squat. I've done the wrap one before, but didn't like it. If you can get your hands on a SSB, they are dreamy.

I tried the zombie style today and it felt odd. The bar seemed to teeter.

As long as the bar is racked properly and you maintain proper body positioning, I don't think it makes much of a difference. I've used both.

For obvious reasons, Oly lifters are going to want to rack it in the way that replicates catching a clean. If you don't do weightlifting, though, I really don't think it matters.

Look at all the powerlifters who front squat. They're front squatting a lot more than most/all Oly lifters, with two front squatting over 800 lbs. None of them can do the full grip rack position, and there doesn't seem to be any issues with stability.

tl;dr - how you actually rack the bar across your shoulders and proper body positioning matter much more than how your hands are touching the barbell.

Okay, that makes sense.

But I would say this- based on the fact that many PL-ers have front squatted so much, reasonably often, some of these other grips are clearly stable enough. But the full grip is still more stable.

The full grip isn't just about stability though- it does force a good rack and an upright body position (or so I'm told).

Stretching the lats is highly underrated in achieving a good front rack position. Also you can rack the bar and only have 2-3 fingers under it, that's how I do it and I can front squat 405.

I do front squats with the bar resting on my shoulders, no grip.

You don't need to hold onto the bar in the palm of your hand, I just kept 2 or 3 fingers around the bar.

But the full grip is still more stable.

And you're saying that with confidence, yet still not basing it on anything.

The bar is still racked the same way and your elbows are held high with both grips, so I'm not sure how you can state the full grip is more stable.

The full grip isn't just about stability though- it does force a good rack and an upright body position (or so I'm told).

Yeah, so does the arms-crossed grip.

The front squat needs a good rack and upright torso position, regardless of your grip on the bar.

If you can explain why a full grip is better at achieving this than the cross-armed grip, I'm all ears.

But I dunno, we probably have a lot of 185-225 front squat beasts in this thread.

(lb, not kg)

Last edited:
Meh, I've done it "I dream of genie" style, fingers and full grip. I would say that for full grip it would only REALLY matter if I was going to jerk or press it afterwards. I felt like IDOG style was tougher for me to stay upright because my shoulders were already slightly forward due to having to bring my arms across in front of me. Fingers or full grip didn't seem to have much difference. But grip was harder to maintain for higher reps.

Also the guy in the Catalyst article sounded like a guy trying to be a tough love coach.

Curious. As a powerlifter, do you incorporate front squats in your training?
Sometimes, yeah.

But I barely ever use them. It all depends on your leverages, how you squat, etc. Some guys find they help, some guys don't find them very useful at all for helping their back squat. I seem to be in the second group.

Looks like I have another KnightTemplar clinging to me.

I'm pretty fine with the posts I've made.

Did you fix your deadlift form yet, big fella?

beetlejuice-showtime.gif

Back