Prime Yushin Okami vs Yoel Romero, 3 rounds.

Always thought Yushin was overrated. Yoelo RD3 death.
how can that be? for insight, Okami has 13 wins in the UFC, that's about as many wins as a Nate Diaz and nearly as much as Vitor Belfort (a UFC legend).

He beat some guys who were worthy at the time: Lombard, Belcher, Swick, Munoz, Marquardt and went the distance with a 24-2--at the time--veteran in Rich Franklin. he was on a 3-1 run in the UFC when they got rid of him. he's no champ or world beater but he shouldn't be called overrated either for his long run in the UFC MW div.

Romero got dominated by Brunson?

lol.
yeah he did before the miracle comeback. Brunsons was able to take him down, which is why Okami would have a pretty decent chance.

yeah he did before the miracle comeback. Brunsons was able to take him down, which is why Okami would have a pretty decent chance.

I get his point, but getting dominated, for me, equals getting the W, not just winning 2 1/2 rounds.
I just don't agree with the wording, I guess.

Prime Okami was dominated both on the feet and ground by Chael, Romero KOs him in the first round.

That wasn't Okami's prime. Best version of Okami was when he was training in America, at Team Quest concretely, and he moved after losing to Sonnen actually. Okami in 2012 was clearly a more evolved and well rounded fighter than he was in 2009.
I do think Romero would KO any version of Okami 9/10 times. Yoel is such a beast.

Did you watch the first two rounds of the fight?

Did you see my post two posts above yours where I explain that winning a fight for two rounds and then getting knocked the fuck out isn't dominating an opponent?

Always thought Yushin was overrated. Yoelo RD3 death.

So a guy who got zero push by UFC hype machine, with one of the most unpopular fighting styles and as dull interview as you can find...was overrated? Nah...all the credit he got was based on his fighting ability, that's for sure. If you find it unimpressive is a different thing.
I would pick Romero by KO too. But Romero is an animal, it doesnt make Okami overrated

Romero rapes him

Did you see my post two posts above yours where I explain that winning a fight for two rounds and then getting knocked the fuck out isn't dominating an opponent?

Yea, sorry, saw it afterwards, should have deleted.
Kind of wanted to piss you off though...

Well let's go with that then. He just never stood out to me as much as he did with others.

The thing with Okami is he never really stood out on anything, and still kept outplaying elite fighters who stood out more than him and were favourties against him. You expected Marquardt or Lombard to beat him right? Most did on paper. He shut mouths more than the other way around thats why I would not label him as overrated

The thing with Okami is he never really stood out on anything, and still kept outplaying elite fighters who stood out more than him and were favourties against him. You expected Marquardt or Lombard to beat him right? Most did on paper. He shut mouths more than the other way around thats why I would not label him as overrated
Lombard yes, but not Nate. I just kind of had a feeling there. Even against Lombard, Yushin loses if he can't get him down. But...he did so it doesn't matter.

Lombard yes, but not Nate. I just kind of had a feeling there. Even against Lombard, Yushin loses if he can't get him down. But...he did so it doesn't matter.

Okami doesnt beat Lombard in a straight wrestling or kickboxing match. Definitely not in power. Few people saw coming those single legs against Lombard, and actually got the better in the feet till last round
You expected Okami to outbox Marquardt? If so you are in small group, some had Yushin by TD/top control as Sonnen but still not the majority. Nate was KOing legit guys by that time

Okami was quite the force at MW, a few years ago. A fight with Romero would've been quite interesting IMO. Okami was quite physically strong and would've held his own in the grappling exchanges.

I think Romero would get the KO/TKO in the 3rd with a big strike and follow up punches.
Don't be ridiculous, Okami's strength is shit relative to Romero's

Don't be ridiculous, Okami's strength is shit relative to Romero's

Okami's strenght is pretty notable since guys like Sonnen Munoz or Boetsch call so. He isnt really a top notch wrestler and is no problem for Romero in that department but Okami could held his own there.
I dont think Okami can avoid getting kncked the fck out by Yoel at some point though.

romero via murder

okami was very good at jabbing for points and grinding people down with grappling

i think romero would outstrike him and outwrestle him

was fun watching anderson play yushins own game and kill him in a jab contest
10001968.gif

Chael would beat Romero. Even though I have Romero over Okami, the Sonnen v Okami fight is no indication of how it would go.

romero is one of the best MW's of all time.

I like okami, at his best he was a solid fighter. Still remember cashing In on him vs marquardt.

Romero would likely send him to the hospital though.

Back