Prime vs Prime - Conor McGregor vs BJ Penn at LW

BJ Penn never fought a striker as good as Conor to be fair.

If BJ got him to the ground Conor would be fucked, but let's not act like BJ was a D1 wrestler type.

People also forget that BJ was very small for the weight class, Conor is huge even at Lightweight.

Penn took Diaz, Fitch and Hughes down multiple times.

Sure, but those guys also don't mind going down there. You are never going to get much push back from three grapplers having it on the floor. Conor would 100% want it standing and keeps distance a whole lot more than grinders and brawlers like the three you mentioned.

When was Baby Jay's prime? It slipped by so fast, even he can't identify when it came and went.

Sure, but those guys also don't mind going down there. You are never going to get much push back from three grapplers having it on the floor. Conor would 100% want it standing and keeps distance a whole lot more than grinders and brawlers like the three you mentioned.

Yep. They wanted to get taken down by BJ, lol.

BJ is a bloody one sided beating. RNC round 3.

More often than not, Conor would easily box him up and either win a decision or by TKO. BJ wouldn't have the ability to take McGregor down, 95% of the time.

People used to say the same about Aldo. He can match Conor on the feet and strangle him on the ground. Easy win for Aldo they said.

Until the fight happened.
I was always in the Conor CAN beat Aldo... never was 100% that he Would though

200461.jpg

Motivated 07, 09 prime BJ
qDpII2s.gif
BJ-Penn-Vicious-Leg-Kick-Cuts-Diego-Sanchez.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_mqtoj7E96P1qfrkf9o2_250.gif

Current McGregor -
5f4017ccd1551383551c343666c263ce.gif

bTBuWWC.gif

giphy.gif

conor-disrupts-jab-bypasses-left-hook.gif

conor-drops-alvarez1.gif

Who takes this fantasy matchup?

BJ, and it's not even close.
BJ was as fast standing, but the ground game is day & night.

BJ, and it's not even close.
BJ was as fast standing, but the ground game is day & night.
For me it comes down to range management, BJ never fought a striker like McGregor who can maintain range when he ws on that brutal streak back in 07.

Penn was never a great offensive wrestler and his stand up is vastly overrated. He mostly boxed and rarely threw any kicks. Out striking guys like Sanchez and Stevenson isn't much when you are fighting Conor.

Conor by TKO and It might even be worse than Eddie fight.

Best BJ striking wise was vs Sanchez. He outstruck Sanchez something like 70-10 and tagged him at will.

McGregor vs Penn is a dream matchup for me, have no idea how ti would go in all honesty.

It was more like 110-12

Conor's takedown defense is pretty damn good these days. He stuffed each and every takedown in his last two fights, including the larger Diaz and the wrestler Alvarez. Maybe someone like Khabib is a different story, but I think he could deal with BJ.

I love BJ as much as the next guy, but Conor is the best boxer in MMA history, and absolutely butchers Penn on the feet.

BJ was a wrestler killer, great boxing but not on the same level of McGregor. He would get picked apart from distance.

Sure he was durable but with his beer and hot dogs diet it'd only help him get a longer asswhooping

Back