Prime vs Prime - Conor McGregor vs BJ Penn at LW

I dunno.

Conor has 4 inches over BJ
74.0 in (188 cm) against 70 in (178 cm)

But BJ already fought big guys (i.e. Kenny Florian) who had the same reach as COnor.

The thing is: BJ takedowns are something Conor would have to be VERY weary of. So bait with a takedown and then (when Conor put his hands down to defend, he jabs and pushed against the cage. Once there, Conor is in trouble.
Fair point but you can't even compare Kenny's skills on the feet to Conor. Kenny was never wolrd class he was an extremely skilled Jiu Jitsu practitioner with some decent boxing knowledge.

Not to mention that IIRC before gassing BJ did better on the feet against Nick than Conor did against Nate.

Obviously comparing BJ's one good round against Nick to Conor's seven rounds against Nate is unfair, but I remember being really impressed with BJ's boxing in that fight before he gassed and got destroyed.
Not sure how you justify that...before gassing in both fights Conor pretty much landed at will on Nate.

Not sure how you justify that...before gassing in both fights Conor pretty much landed at will on Nate.
I stated that I know it's not fair. I don't excuse Conor gassing the way I do for BJ because Conor is at his peak. BJ was not.

I also stated in a different post that Conor very well could have the striking advantage. I think a prime BJ would pretty easily easily take him down and brutalize him, though.

Fair point but you can't even compare Kenny's skills on the feet to Conor. Kenny was never wolrd class he was an extremely skilled Jiu Jitsu practitioner with some decent boxing knowledge.
I agree with you, but that's the point. He had BJJ...which is far better than Conor.
Especially if you think that for the past year he had to concentrate in Boxing alone, in order to fight Floyd.

No he met hardly any resistance in the first two rounds and nearly gassed to punching bag status. Save your fucking ellipsis.

This coming from a hater....dude, he beat nate's ass the entire fight...while nate only had brief moments of flurries...that's all nate had...how do you win a 5 round fight, if you gas after the 2nd round? hmmmmmmmm.......

I think BJ takes this. BJ had a pretty legendary chin and I think he would wear Conor down and finish him in the 4th or 5th round. The difference in their ground games is pretty huge too.

Due to the ground game, I'm with BJ.
BJ's takedowns were severely underrated.

Conor would win the battle standing, but BJ's chin wouldn't be cracked.

BJ clowned Nick for a round when he was post prime. Boxed him up, took his back. BJ of 2008 beats up Nate, imo
How good is Conor on the ground to survive Penn? Prime Penn doesn't fuck around and will go for what he does best.
5_medium.gif

Here's post prime Penn...Penn has underrated takedowns...
Jon_Fitch__vs._B.J._Penn_5.gif

3.gif

BJ Penn would RNC his ass so fast. Prime BJ had excellent boxing, most of you youngins dont even know.

Prime BJ had an absolute GOAT chin and never really was beaten until he gassed in fights and prime Marinovich Penn could go 5 rounds. BJ via a finish in the second.

Yeah he's absolutely incorrect. BJ won the 1st against Nick but it was nowhere near what Conor did to Nate early (Especially in the 2nd fight).

Stop embarrassing yourself. BJ is literally a million times tougher than mctap. Mentally and physically. Mctap throws an extremely low volume of punches that could not under any circumstances hurt BJ. BJ would eat those left hands for breakfast and sub or tko him without any resistance. Stop playing pretend. Nate is one of the most mediocre bum gatekeepers the UFC has ever seen and he abused your boy. BJ would destroy him in his prime.

That is debatable. BJ quit against GSP on his stool. BJ has never in his entire career come from behind to win. Never. Conor did against Nate 2. Conor would piece BJ up on the feet. On the ground he would die.

This coming from a hater....dude, he beat nate's ass the entire fight...while nate only had brief moments of flurries...that's all nate had...how do you win a 5 round fight, if you gas after the 2nd round? hmmmmmmmm.......

The ellipsis won't save your logic flaws and Conor nut huggery.

I think this fight is closer than what people are giving Conor credit for. If BJ could survive the first few rounds, I think he'd be able to tko or submit Conor.

Conor, no question. BJ may be the best lightweight of all time, in comparison to his peers at that time, but the game has greatly evolved and the fighters today are better. If you got a time machine and put UFC 205 Conor vs Penn that fought Sherk, Conor would win. BJ 'had more tools' but he wasn't a takedown artist and Conor's hands are just so good that he would control and TKO Penn, if not UD him Penn was a lot like Aldo in a sense, a black belt turned excellent stand up fighter, but they were designed to beat the wrestlers/style of the day.

Back