Prime Matt Hughes

Wasn't he 35-3 right before he fought Penn at UFC 46?

Yea I meant to say UFC 63, which was the 2nd time they fought. He was 41-4 after that fight. My point being that the guy won and won and won until he got too worn out.

IDK about the fighting part, but prime Hughes today would be a bigger heel than Jones and Conor combined. People would literally be packing arenas just to boo and chant things at him.

Yea I meant to say UFC 63, which was the 2nd time they fought. He was 41-4 after that fight. My point being that the guy won and won and won until he got too worn out.
That's one of the reasons I always liked Hughes, the guy has one of the best resumes of all time.

I remember reading that he didn't really do training camps until later into his career. He would just train all year round, dude was always a hard worker.

Exactly dude was a beast and always found a way to win with hard work , iron will and dedication to training.

He got old and started loosing , it happens. The WW's in our crop today are on top because the old guard is too old and no new killers have come out yet.

They aren't as good as the past , but there isn't anyone standing there ready to take them off the top.

XD cant be serious. Maia beats any version of hughes with eez

Ehh I dunno dude. Maia is a huuuge WW but his double leg looked like fucking trash against a much smaller Woodley. He didn't set it up with any striking either.

I could see Hughes telegraphing that and just crunching him wit dat farm boy strength son.

Maybe pound him behind the barn after

Ehh I dunno dude. Maia is a huuuge WW but his double leg looked like fucking trash against a much smaller Woodley. He didn't set it up with any striking either.

I could see Hughes telegraphing that and just crunching him wit dat farm boy strength son.

Maias single is his best td. Also clinch, couldnt get either work against woodley but hughes isnt as athletic or explosive. Story, sonnen, the korean grappler, fitch got all takendown easily

Also lets not forget that hughes has been takendown many times in his career and even in his prime, even by the tiny ww BJ. and by the lw sean sherk. Also Hallman proves that hughes can be submitted... Maia eeezily

He was one dimensional and had the type of strong but stiff muscles that makes for shitty strikers. Much like Lesnar and certain wrestlers with the same issue his punches were stiffer than a gay man's dong at a bodybuilding competition.

In today's era of well rounded fighters he would not do well. Might be strong enough to grind out some decision wins vs the strikers who have weak takedown defense.

He was one dimensional and had the type of strong but stiff muscles that makes for shitty strikers. Much like Lesnar and certain wrestlers with the same issue his punches were stiffer than a gay man's dong at a bodybuilding competition.

In today's era of well rounded fighters he would not do well. Might be strong enough to grind out some decision wins vs the strikers who have weak takedown defense.

wut? One dimensional? The guy finished 35 fighters with both KO's and submissions.

17 KO's
18 Submissions

OK, his striking was terrible. I think he would also lose to Maia on the ground, but maybe he could outstrike him in a boring fight.

OK, his striking was terrible. I think he would also lose to Maia on the ground, but maybe he could outstrike him in a boring fight.
Hughes was no striker, but I think calling his striking terrible is unfair. He was actually pretty good at using strikes to close distance and setup takedowns.

Hughes was menacing, In his prime I would favor him over most of today. His grappling with control was vicious.

Hughes was menacing, In his prime I would favor him over most of today. His grappling with control was vicious.

He might be a 155 in today's UFC as 155 wasn't really around when he started. I'd favor him over plenty. His striking was good enough and he was strong as hell.

He was definitely a beast.

Don't know that his striking skill is up to par but I could see him grounding out fighters like maybe Maia, Condit, etc.

There are definitely some well rounded fighters that would give him a helova time, though.

An
He takes them all down and gnp's them behind the barn, the. Goes and has a country breakfast after.

Name ANY current WW that has anywhere near the record of his.

And look at most of his opponents...lmao

Matt in today's welter weight would be fringe top 10. All top 5 guys beat him easily

Also matt was fighting pre usada. Thinking about that, if he was to fight with usada testing he would be a lightweight. Usada would fuck him up before the top 10 guys.

Back