Prime Kobe or Prime Curry?

Steph Curry is an incredible shooter

Kobe Bryant has way more tools in his game, can carry his team to a win from behind, and is a great shooter himself. He is also an ATG when it comes to clutch shots

Winner Kobe Bryant

I'm a 100% certified Kobe hater, and I'd take prime Koobs over prime FiTP.

Do you think Curry can take that LA team (without Kobe) to the playoffs, to the Finals and then win it...?

My answer is no. Probably not even to the playoffs...

Flip it the other way and Kobe takes GS to the playoffs, some years will be deep into the playoffs and finals, at least 1 or 2 championships.
Curry won in 2015 with Klay and Dray
Gasol and Odom were better imo.

And oh btw, I'd pick Kobe over Curry too.

prime Kobe would rape Staph. Is this even a serious question,

I am a huge Curry fan but this isn't even discussion worthy.
If for nothing else Kobe was a elite defender and although Curry tries on defense he isn't elite.

The more I think about it, the less certain I am I'd take Kobe.

Kobe has him by a ppg, but on .550 TS%, to .621 TS% for Curry (.541 to .609 respectively in the yoffs), that's an enormous efficiency gap for Kobe to make up elsewhere. Their rebounding is equal, Staph gets more assists and more steals. For all the talk about Kobe's defense, he stopped trying to play it halfway through his career (but kept making ALL-D on name recognition). Advanced stats will mostly say Staph in a walk (even the defensive ones don't favor Kobe much). There's a reason Staph already has more MVPs than Kobe did.

The only thing keeping Kobe slightly ahead in my view are those 2 championship runs in '09 and '10. I'm not sure Curry is able to lead those teams to titles (though I'm also not as certain as some people seem to be that he couldn't either). And people can shit on Pau all they want, no chance they beat the Celtics with Kobe playing the way he did (he shot 40% and took over a third of the team's shots when he was playing) if Pau didn't come up enormous that series (19, 12, 4 and 2.5 blocks on 48% from the field).

I guess I still go Kobe because when it comes down to it, I believe he can do more and prime Kobe is a much lesser injury risk. But the numbers say otherwise pretty strongly. Outside of his rookie season, Staph's worst season TS% is better than Kobe's best. That's a lot more wasted possessions for Kobe (whose only real NBA record of note is most missed shots in NBA history).

Last edited:
Steph is only MVP-caliber in the right kind of system. Kobe would thrive under any system. In the absence of any further knowledge about the context of situation, Kobe is the default answer.
I don't know why this is assumed. All of Kobe's deep playoff runs, and his lone MVP, come under the Phil Jackson triangle. Without it, he only got out of the first round once as a starter and missed the yoffs once in his prime.

kobe is in the discussion for goat(he isn't but he's in the discussion) .. curry is nowhere near that .. at all .. dumb thread

There is never a situation where I'm taking Curry over the Black Mamba.

Back