Prime Jake Shields would be UFC WW champ right now

I agree he is a top welterweight but these theoretical matchups are impossible to validate. He also has some inexplicable losses on his record (Hector Lombard for example).
Just want to give Jake some credit he deserves.

He was unlucky to be in his prime around the same time period GSP was. If GSP did not exist, Jake might be known as the damn WW GOAT.

The loss to Lombard is not surprising. It is a style matchup. Hector has really fast and heavy hands and he has good enough take down defense to where Jake can't take him down at all. Hector would throw a few strikes and then Judo trip Jake to the mat. But he would not follow Jake to the mat. That is where Jake was strongest. Hector would beat him up a little on the feet and then slam him to the mat. He repeated this process and beat Jake with a good strategy to avoid Jake's strengths. Not everyone can do that however. Lombard and GSP are. Or around at 170 anymore. Jake held Woodley against the fence. Prime Jake could beat the whole current WW roster more than likely

his resume of wins is absolutely stellar, he's a ludicrously underrated grappler. he might not be entertaining to watch, but the guy is a beast. and as a pure grappler now, the guy won a decision against Danis FFS.

Did I suggest he wasn't a badass?

I said he wasn't nearly as unbeatable as TS made him out to be.

Did I suggest he wasn't a badass?

I said he wasn't nearly as unbeatable as TS made him out to be.
Well, Woodley is the champ now. Without GSP and maybe a couple fighters like Palhares around, prime Shields could definitely be champ.

Well, Woodley is the champ now. Without GSP and maybe a couple fighters like Palhares around, prime Shields could definitely be champ.
Sure, but as long as you're talking hypothetical, then Prime GSP is around too. And I see Shields losing that fight the majority of the time.

Sure, but as long as you're talking hypothetical, then Prime GSP is around too. And I see Shields losing that fight the majority of the time.
GSP is GSP, on another level than even the second-place guy, which I think is Shields.

Shields might be number 2 to GSP in fighting but there is one thing that Jake has over everybody.

The GOAT coffee throwing technique

GSP is GSP, on another level than even the second-place guy, which I think is Shields.

Maybe, but there are other guys I'd still pick over a prime Shields. I think Prime Hughes is a bad matchup, given he can push the pace on Shields and likely be on top more often than not.

And given his loss to Ellenberger, I think there are other fighters who could push him. Shields lives or dies by being able to get the takedown. If you look at his win-streak, one thing you'll notice is he never faced a lot of other high level wrestlers or guys with strong takedowns. The ones he did face tended to push him the hardest. Anyone who can force a striking match with Shields or put him on his back will give him a tough time. A guy like Fitch would always be a tough matchup for Shields.

Maybe, but there are other guys I'd still pick over a prime Shields. I think Prime Hughes is a bad matchup, given he can push the pace on Shields and likely be on top more often than not.

And given his loss to Ellenberger, I think there are other fighters who could push him. Shields lives or dies by being able to get the takedown. If you look at his win-streak, one thing you'll notice is he never faced a lot of other high level wrestlers or guys with strong takedowns. The ones he did face tended to push him the hardest. Anyone who can force a striking match with Shields or put him on his back will give him a tough time. A guy like Fitch would always be a tough matchup for Shields.

His dad died right before he fought Ellenberger. We can give Jake a pass there.

He was way past his prime when he lost to Fitch.

Jake beat one high level wrestler in Woodley. Held him against the fence and outpointed him

Beat Maia at Maia's own game

Submitted Robbie Lawler

Shake is as elite as they come.

His worst style matchups of all time would be GSP, Lombard and a prime Hendricks. Fitch doesn't have the striking to bother an iron chin like Jake. Jake would figure a way to beat Fitch if they were both in their prime. I don't think either guy would take much damage. It would be a boring ugly fight fought on the feet, in the clinch and against the fence but I would pick Jake. Even though Fitch is stronger i believe Jake is more well rounded and so damn experienced. When they fought Jake was way past it but a prime Jake would be much much different.

His dad died right before he fought Ellenberger. We can give Jake a pass there.

He was way past his prime when he lost to Fitch.

Jake beat one high level wrestler in Woodley. Held him against the fence and outpointed him

Beat Maia at Maia's own game

Submitted Robbie Lawler

Shake is as elite as they come.

His worst style matchups of all time would be GSP, Lombard and a prime Hendricks. Fitch doesn't have the striking to bother an iron chin like Jake. Jake would figure a way to beat Fitch if they were both in their prime. I don't think either guy would take much damage. It would be a boring ugly fight fought on the feet, in the clinch and against the fence but I would pick Jake. Even though Fitch is stronger i believe Jake is more well rounded and so damn experienced. When they fought Jake was way past it but a prime Jake would be much much different.

It's not a coincidence that every single loss he has is to a high level grappler, 4 who could readily take top control. And Jake may have been out of his prime when he faced Fitch, but Fitch was every bit as much. Both guys were shadows of themselves, and I favour Fitch prime for prime given Fitch's ability to take top control. And while he didn't have power on the feet, he had a workman's style of ditry boxing and wore plenty of guys out there before taking top control. Shields had a few fights where his cardio didn't hold up, and Fitch is the kind of guy who can exploit that.

I agree that Shields is a tough fight for anyone in his prime, but he was never a finisher and he had obvious holes. In the modern/ at their primes division, there are plenty of guys I'd pick over him. MacDonald, Thompson, Hughes, Fitch, GSP, etc.

Frankly, I always thought Shields looked better at 185. His best wins are in that weight class.

It's not a coincidence that every single loss he has is to a high level grappler, 4 who could readily take top control. And Jake may have been out of his prime when he faced Fitch, but Fitch was every bit as much. Both guys were shadows of themselves, and I favour Fitch prime for prime given Fitch's ability to take top control. And while he didn't have power on the feet, he had a workman's style of ditry boxing and wore plenty of guys out there before taking top control. Shields had a few fights where his cardio didn't hold up, and Fitch is the kind of guy who can exploit that.

I agree that Shields is a tough fight for anyone in his prime, but he was never a finisher and he had obvious holes. In the modern/ at their primes division, there are plenty of guys I'd pick over him. MacDonald, Thompson, Hughes, Fitch, GSP, etc.

Frankly, I always thought Shields looked better at 185. His best wins are in that weight class.

I agree with much of what you say. He did seem to look best at 185. Especially around the time he beat Hendo. That may have been his peak. He cut back down to WW to fight GSP in UFC.

All those guys you favor over Shields only Thompson and Rory are still fighting. Rory is now in Bellator. Thompson would be a tough match but i believe Jake could take him down and possibly submit him. Wonderboy has good movement but Woodley was able to take him down while also being very passive the majority of their fights. Hughes is retired, GSP has been gone, Fitch is past it...but if we took a prime Shields and threw him in there with the current UFC division there is a good chance Jake would run the table and hold the UFC strap.

Rematches with Robbie, Maia and Woodley would not be easy but a prime Jake could likely beat the prime versions of all those fighters. He has the blueprint and all the skills to do so.

Last edited:
Back