Prime Jake Shields would be UFC WW champ right now

Yet he still beat Woodley, Maia, Robbie, Condit, Okami and Hendo.

1. He beat a young and inexperienced Condit

2. He beat Lawler almost 10 years before Lawler became champ

3. He did nothing in the Woodley fight and got dropped with strikes and leg kicks

4. Maia win was good

5. Okami ain't that great

6. Hendo was a fantastic win

Fan of Shield. But his striking would get exposed by the top tier fighters.

Jake Shields has beaten Tyron Woodley.

Jake Shields has beaten Maia.

Jake Shields has beaten Robbie Lawler.

Those are the three best guys at WW in the UFC right now.

Prime Jake Shields would reign supreme over this Welterweight division.

View attachment 264825

Great wrestling and submission grappling. Iron chin. Great cardio. Every WW's worst nightmare

Shake bless
Not sure he could even beat Prime Hughes, although I would lean towards him. Definitely not Prime GSP, so it's kinda whatever. Also, Woodley is likely better than he was, and if you say he's not, that just suggests the game is at a low point more than illustrates how great Shields was. Although he is underrated.

Not sure he could even beat Prime Hughes, although I would lean towards him. Definitely not Prime GSP, so it's kinda whatever. Also, Woodley is likely better than he was, and if you say he's not, that just suggests the game is at a low point more than illustrates how great Shields was. Although he is underrated.

You think the same woodley that got run over by marquart is better than sheilds?

If marquart ko'ed him like that how do you think the hendo fight would have gone if he had stepped in instead of sheilds?

He would have gotten ko'ed worse than bisping.

Shields' list of wins is ridiculous- Condit, Daley, Hendo, Lawler, Woodley. Maia- and I'm definitely forgetting some big ones.

Legend.

I'm still real impressed that one of my favorite fighters, Fitch, beat him.

1. He beat a young and inexperienced Condit

2. He beat Lawler almost 10 years before Lawler became champ

3. He did nothing in the Woodley fight and got dropped with strikes and leg kicks

4. Maia win was good

5. Okami ain't that great

6. Hendo was a fantastic win
He would beat all those fighters in rematches. Not now because he is past his prime now. But at least until 2013 I would say he still could have beaten Lawler again.

Condit was young when they fought but Condit will always have weak takedown defense. Shields will usually win that one. Condit is no pushover either. He is a mean guy that can finish somebody quickly with strikes but he would repeatedly be taken down amd controlled on the mat by Jake at any point in their careers.

You think the same woodley that got run over by marquart is better than sheilds?

If marquart ko'ed him like that how do you think the hendo fight would have gone if he had stepped in instead of sheilds?

He would have gotten ko'ed worse than bisping.
Are those the same Tyron Woodleys as the guy who's holding the belt now?

The Hendo that was in Pride wouldn't have lost to Shields after nearly killing him. But if we're talking about Shields at his best, how about the other guys at their best? Is Woodley not any better now than when he fought Shields or Marquardt who was undoubtedly on roids?

Woodley fight was 2013 i think woodley takes the rematch same as maia fight

Jake's worst style match up is facing somebody that can stop his takedowns and has much better striking than him. There aren't many WWs that have had both but there are rare special fighters that can beat him. This is why he lost to GSP and Hector Lombard. He would have a hell of a time with a prime Hendricks as well. Jonny used to have serious power. Woodley has the power but lacks the striking skill. Jake is just a better and smarter MMA fighter than Woodley.

I don't think anyone in the current WW division has the striking + takedown defense combo that is needed to beat Jake. Woodley possesses those abilities but still lost to wily Jake.

Jake's worst style match up is facing somebody that can stop his takedowns and has much better striking than him. There aren't many WWs that have had both but there are rare special fighters that can beat him. This is why he lost to GSP and Hector Lombard. He would have a hell of a time with a prime Hendricks as well. Jonny used to have serious power. Woodley has the power but lacks the striking skill. Jake is just a better and smarter MMA fighter than Woodley.

I don't think anyone in the current WW division has the striking + takedown defense combo that is needed to beat Jake. Woodley possesses those abilities but still lost to wily Jake.
You could argue that he's just a bad matchup for Woodley, and maybe so... after wrecking Thompson in spurts, when he tried, Woodley may have a better understanding of his abilities, though. I just wouldn't be sure that the guy has Woodley's number, based an old fight.

You could argue that he's just a bad matchup for Woodley, and maybe so... after wrecking Thompson in spurts, when he tried, Woodley may have a better understanding of his abilities, though. I just wouldn't be sure that the guy has Woodley's number, based an old fight.
I think Woodley's best case scenario is he rocks Jake like Hendo did but then if he tries to finish he would likely gas just like Hendo did.

Jake is a bad matchup for Woodley because Jake has an iron chin and much better cardio. Jake can also stifle much of Woodley's wrestling.

Jake would likely always win a 5 rounder. Woodley has a better chance in a 3 round fight but he just has such low output to win on the scorecards in a 5 rounder. I believe his low output and patiently waiting to explode is partially to conserve his energy as his gas tank is suspect. Jake will always push a pace Woodley cannot keep up with. Woodley just does not have the tools to defeat Jake

I think Woodley's best case scenario is he rocks Jake like Hendo did but then if he tries to finish he would likely gas just like Hendo did.

Jake is a bad matchup for Woodley because Jake has an iron chin and much better cardio. Jake can also stifle much of Woodley's wrestling.

Jake would likely always win a 5 rounder. Woodley has a better chance in a 3 round fight but he just has such low output to win on the scorecards in a 5 rounder. I believe his low output and patiently waiting to explode is partially to conserve his energy as his gas tank is suspect. Jake will always push a pace Woodley cannot keep up with. Woodley just does not have the tools to defeat Jake
I think that Woodley has the tools to be great, but he would need to change his approach. Probably simply better offensive boxing would do a world of good for him as he does spend too much time hanging back and waiting to counter.

Platinum perry would slap the taste of his mouth and the playboy gel out Of his hair.

He got screwed when the UFC forced him back down to WW. A lot of people forget that at the tail end of his dominant run at WW in Strikeforce, he moved up to MW to beat Lawler, Mayhem and Hendo. That was when he hit his peak as a fighter and when his takedowns/grappling were at their best. He wanted to continue as a MW and fight Anderson when the UFC signed him. He actually asked for that fight.

At the time, GSP was out of contenders though so they forced him back down to WW and we saw the result. He looked like complete shit against Kampman because of the weight cut. He was never quite as good after that and he never hit his stride again. He beat some great fighters, but that death cut he did so he could fight Kampmann was what ended his prime.

One of the most underrated fighters ever. He would've beaten Anderson, had he gotten that fight at that time.

Jake Shields is one dimensional and has some of the worst/weakest striking in MMA history.
Agreed. I dont know why he even bothers to try to punch. Its cm punkish. Almost best grappler ever imo. his match vs maia was epic.

Shields is bad-ass on the ground, no doubt about it. His striking is very stiff though and slow.

Jake Shields is one dimensional and has some of the worst/weakest striking in MMA history.
I've been boxing for a long time, shields striking Isn't that bad.

He has a good jab and left kick.

He's awkward, awkward doesn't = horrible. It's stiff, but he does some things well In there.

He did outstrike GSP for 2 rounds as well.

shields having the worst striking Is one of the dumber opinions I've seen on these forums over the years.

Last edited:
Back