Prime Jake Shields would be UFC WW champ right now

He did not lose from December 2004 all the way to April 2011.

That is 6 and a half years without a loss.

Those were his prime years. When he finally did lose it was to the WW GOAT.

Had anyone else fought Jake in that time period they would have surely lost.

Shake bless

Not that surely. Many of those who actually saw his fights with Okami and Kampann thought Shields lost, and took more damage. Maia and Woodley fights are a flip coin. Its still great to give all those guy all they could handle though. Shields is one of the best WWs of all time for sure.

Jake Shields is one dimensional and has some of the worst/weakest striking in MMA history.

Actually Shields outstriked Akiyama, who was pretty well ranked. Imagine if there have been worse striking in MMA history.
Not to mention Shields has been KOed twice in 41 fights career, just once since his 3rd pro fight.
Striking is also about how you take a punch, plus he was fairly good at outpointing with kicks. Noob, its not all about explosiveness and power when it comes to striking in mma

But only 2 of them at 170, right?

It doesn't make any sense to me why Shields suddenly became a WW when he left SF.
He was at his best at 185, IMO.
He should have challenged Anderson Silva instead of GSP, and fought at his comfortable weight.

Shields beat Okami and Condit at 175, in the same night

Uh Woodley has clearly hit his prime. Shields looks as pathetic trying to take him down as Maia did.

Shields is a real oddity. He is perhaps the fighter with the best resume of wins in WW yet you can't make even a 30 second highlight reel from all of them combined.

The Shields Woodley fight was weird. That was the first time Woodley started that back against the cage BS that he likes to do. There is no reason Woodley shouldn't be able to beat Jake.

Shake bless
End of thread!

Shake bless

Have you actually seen the fights? He had an impressive win series but it was in no way dominant. Hell he should have lost the Kampmann fight.

Jakes the man

Still surprised me he got cut to this day

Have you actually seen the fights? He had an impressive win series but it was in no way dominant. Hell he should have lost the Kampmann fight.
Yes. I saw them all. The Kampmann fight was close and maybe they weren't all super dominant but he is more consistent than most.

All I am saying is if you took the prime Jake Shields and put him in today's WW division there is a very good chance he would run the table. The top 3 are all guys he has already beaten. Yes, they have improved since Jake fought them but I still believe a prime iron jawed Jake can get the job done

this guy sent Mayhem packing, beat Okami and Condit in one night, tapped out Robbie Lawler and beat Dan Henderson, 6 years undefeated with 16 straight victories, now he's coming for the belt.

15% luck 20 % skill

Some of us not only saw them, but attended many, almost all, of them. If you aren't a fan of martial arts, then you won't grasp his skillset and how he fights.

Stfu... shields is no ufc champ at any time
Yet he has beaten the UFC champ, the last UFC champ and the last challenger for the UFC title.

The WW division has gone downhill. Take the Shields from 7 years ago and he runs through the current crop

Jake has the #2 all time welterweight status in my mind, nobody comes close to his wins or strength of schedule.

Georges is very clearly better than him, and matches up with him well. I don't think any version of Jake beats any version of Georges, but Jake beats just about everyone else in the history of welterweight in his prime.

Stfu... shields is no ufc champ at any time

He beat Lawler - in fact he tapped him out - and he beat Woodley.

Jake Shields would absolutely be champion over the guys, what are we even talking about?

Back