Prime Jake Shields would be UFC WW champ right now

Typrune Goatley

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Jake Shields has beaten Tyron Woodley.

Jake Shields has beaten Maia.

Jake Shields has beaten Robbie Lawler.

Those are the three best guys at WW in the UFC right now.

Prime Jake Shields would reign supreme over this Welterweight division.

mPHQk8M0_400x400.jpg

Great wrestling and submission grappling. Iron chin. Great cardio. Every WW's worst nightmare

Shake bless

Jake Shields is one dimensional and has some of the worst/weakest striking in MMA history.

006_Tyron_Woodley.0.0.jpg

And Prime GSP would reign over Prime Shields.

Now, back to reality...

Shields had nothing at all for GSP....except eye pokes.

Also, Martin Kampmann got robbed.

Jake Shields is one dimensional and has some of the worst/weakest striking in MMA history.
Yet he still beat Woodley, Maia, Robbie, Condit, Okami, Daley and Hendo.

Last edited:
And Prime GSP would reign over Prime Shields.

Now, back to reality...
That's the only WW in all of MMA history that beats Jake head to head and peak vs peak

He has beaten everyone else. Only legend he didnt get a chance to fight was Matt Hughes

He beat Robbie in strikeforce, right?

sort of a dark period for Robbie, comparatively. I wouldn't bet on Jake beating him at this point

Totally agree with you TS, he´d be a terrible match for all of these guys.

Funny how some people are watching mixed martial arts and still don´t appreciate the submission expertise level that guys like Shields and Maia bring to the table. Maybe they should go back to watching boxing or kickboxing only.

He beat Robbie in strikeforce, right?

sort of a dark period for Robbie, comparatively. I wouldn't bet on Jake beating him at this point

Robbie can put anybody to sleep but Jake has an iron chin as seen in the Hendo fight. I think more often than not Jake times his takedown perfectly and gets Robbie to the mat and does enough damage to win the round. I dont think this version of Robbie would be subbed. Robbie is also great at getting back to his feet but i think Jake just takes him back down again. 3 rounds would be preferable for Jake. He doesn't want to see Robbie in the 5th

That's the only WW in all of MMA history that beats Jake head to head and peak vs peak

He has beaten everyone else. Only legend he didnt get a chance to fight was Matt Hughes

Lies.

Jake Ellenberger KO'd him before he beat either Woodley or Maia. Hector Lombard beat him right after Maia. And his Lawler fight was at MW.

That, and many of his UFC wins were closely contested. Not GSP-esque shutouts.

He was plenty beatable.

Lies.

Jake Ellenberger KO'd him before he beat either Woodley or Maia. Hector Lombard beat him right after Maia. And his Lawler fight was at MW.

That, and many of his UFC wins were closely contested. Not GSP-esque shutouts.

He was plenty beatable.

Didnt Jake's dad die right beore he fought Ellenberger?

He was slightly past his prime when he fought Lombard. Jake has been fighting forever and Hector was a beast and terrible matchup at that point in Jake's career.

Yes, he beat Robbie at MW but I don't think it would be much different at WW.

Jake beat so many great fighters. He even stole a round from GSP

Jake shields appreciation thread? wtf is going on here?!!
Winner of Jake Shields vs Dan Henderson II fight winner of Bisping vs. GSP for the ultimate stalling of the middleweight title! C'mon Dana make it happen!

Didnt Jake's dad die right beore he fought Ellenberger?

He was slightly past his prime when he fought Lombard. Jake has been fighting forever and Hector was a beast and terrible matchup at that point in Jake's career.

Yes, he beat Robbie at MW but I don't think it would be much different at WW.

Jake beat so many great fighters. He even stole a round from GSP

Jake is a great fighter, but he's not nearly as unbeatable as you're trying to make him out.

Jake shields appreciation thread? wtf is going on here?!!

If somebody doesn't appreciate Shields they must not appreciate MMA because he has beaten a who's who of MMA.

Winner of Jake Shields vs Dan Henderson II fight winner of Bisping vs. GSP for the ultimate stalling of the middleweight title! C'mon Dana make it happen!

I am down! Book it, Dan White!

Jake is a great fighter, but he's not nearly as unbeatable as you're trying to make him out.
He did not lose from December 2004 all the way to April 2011.

That is 6 and a half years without a loss.

Those were his prime years. When he finally did lose it was to the WW GOAT.

Had anyone else fought Jake in that time period they would have surely lost.

Shake bless

Ive been a fan of him since Strikeforce. Jake Shields never gets the credit he deserves because of the caveman mentality of the mma community.

When Maia moved to WW and was on a tear backpacking people all around, Jake beat him at his game even better than T-Wood.
Beat Hendo, who then went to beat Fedor and Rua. He even ate a couple of H-bombs.

Underrated all time great. War Shields!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back