Prime (in shape) Duran vs prime "Money" Floyd

That's when he moved up from LW to fight Oscar. 8 years after the losses to Forrest and 6 years after the losses to Winky.

He's 3-4-1 in fights since with his biggest win coming against a washed up Mayorga.
A loss doesn't prove a fighter is past his prime. He was 38 when he fought Floyd so you're saying his prime ended when he was 28. Obviously not true.

Also, your description is a bit iffy. Shane was 7-3-0 in his last 10 coming into the Floyd fight. One of those losses was to Cotto in what IMO was a fight that could have gone either way. In between the Floyd and Wright losses, he beat Vargas twice,beat Collazo and ruined Margarito among others. The Margarito fight was perhaps the most flawless performance of his career and that was the fight before the Floyd fight.

37-year-old floyd schooled canelo just eight months earlier.

some believe that hopkins best win was against tarver when he was 41
That's how good Floyd was. He was able to beat an up and coming fighter just coming into his prime even when he was past his best.

Let's say at Caneloweight. Or even 155. I see what you're saying, though. You're talking prime Floyd in the ring at maybe 151 and prime Hagler at 177 that night? From a contracted 160 pure MW limit? Something along those lines?
In that case,...

I'll still take Floyd via UD.
;)
I might go with Floyd in a PFP sense where you just assume both guys are in their prime and the same weight class. If it's at 160 weigh in and they weigh whatever they rehydrate fight night then I'll take Hagler.

I might go with Floyd in a PFP sense where you just assume both guys are in their prime and the same weight class. If it's at 160 weigh in and they weigh whatever they rehydrate fight night then I'll take Hagler.

Fair enough.

That's how good Floyd was. He was able to beat an up and coming fighter just coming into his prime even when he was past his best.

or perhaps he was still close enough to prime.

hopkins and calzaghes best wis arguably came when they were over 35. jmm, too

A loss doesn't prove a fighter is past his prime. He was 38 when he fought Floyd so you're saying his prime ended when he was 28. Obviously not true.

Also, your description is a bit iffy. Shane was 7-3-0 in his last 10 coming into the Floyd fight. One of those losses was to Cotto in what IMO was a fight that could have gone either way. In between the Floyd and Wright losses, he beat Vargas twice,beat Collazo and ruined Margarito among others. The Margarito fight was perhaps the most flawless performance of his career and that was the fight before the Floyd fight.
No, that's his record after the Floyd fight. He had a good showing against Margarito in a fight the guy caught using loaded wraps. You prefer to think there weren't any physiological repercussions for Margarito but was that the case? If I recall even the announcers mentioned how a great fighter sometimes has a good showing after he's washed up. His record after that fight seems to confirm that view. He was not the same Mosley that fought DLH 10 years earlier.

Edited to add that it was Manny that ruined Margarito. A guy that towered over him and Floyd preferred to avoid.

Canelo was green. It was a money grab and many people were saying he wasn't ready. He still needs to get past GGG to prove himself if you consider his opponents since the Mayweather fight.

No, that's his record after the Floyd fight. He had a good showing against Margarito in a fight the guy caught using loaded wraps. You prefer to think there weren't any physiological repercussions for Margarito but was that the case? If I recall even the announcers mentioned how a great fighter sometimes has a good showing after he's washed up. His record after that fight seems to confirm that view. He was not the same Mosley that fought DLH 10 years earlier.
2 of his next 3 fights were against Canelo and Pacquiao.

I personally felt like the Mora draw was sort of a robbery but that's just my opinion.

Canelo was green. It was a money grab and many people were saying he wasn't ready. He still needs to get past GGG to prove himself if you consider his opponents since the Mayweather fight.
eh, you can nit pick literally any fighters resume like this and make them sound like trash.

eh, you can nit pick literally any fighters resume like this and make them sound like trash.
Ok, then nitpick Trinidad's resume or Robinson's and make them sound like trash. :p

2 of his next 3 fights were against Canelo and Pacquiao.

I personally felt like the Mora draw was sort of a robbery but that's just my opinion.
Seano, it's Mora, think about that a minute.

hopkins?

dlh? sans the chavez fights

cotto? kt? vargas? winky? mosely? paq? jmm? chavez?

Ok, then nitpick Trinidad's resume or Robinson's and make them sound like trash. :p
Trinidad? You mean the guy who couldn't do shit to Hopkins after Nasim made him rewrap his hands (and doesn't that sort of bring into question his destruction of Joppy?!?!?!?! )? The guy who fought a "green" David Reid for a gift wrapped title? Who else did he fight? Oba Carr(sounds like a Dr Seuss character to me but whatever) and a Whitaker who was more interested if there was any crack left in the locker room? He lowblowed Vargas, my gosh it was worse than what happened to poor Vasyl! Don't even get me started on him "forcing " an old Freddie Pendelton to come up in weight. What was that fight all about? Seems like a cash grab to me.

{<jordan}

Trinidad, what a hype job, eh?

Robinson is easy. He fought to draws with club fighters.

hopkins?

dlh? sans the chavez fights

cotto? kt? vargas? winky? mosely? paq? jmm? chavez?
I'm not doing all of those but see my above destruction of Trinidad's legacy and tell me I couldn't do that to all of those guys too.

Trinidad? You mean the guy who couldn't do shit to Hopkins after Nasim made him rewrap his hands (and doesn't that sort of bring into question his destruction of Joppy?!?!?!?! )? The guy who fought a "green" David Reid for a gift wrapped title? Who else did he fight? Oba Carr(sounds like a Dr Seuss character to me but whatever) and a Whitaker who was more interested if there was any crack left in the locker room? He lowblowed Vargas, my gosh it was worse than what happened to poor Vasyl! Don't even get me started on him "forcing " an old Freddie Pendelton to come up in weight. What was that fight all about? Seems like a cash grab to me.

{<jordan}

Well, ok, good job. :D But Trinidad was a guy that fought the best right up to Hopkins and Roy. Too bad Floyd didn't make his matches that way.

{<jordan}

As for Robinson I know he had that draw with a guy we never heard of but that was 70 years ago. If you look at the guys record he might have been a second tier fighter for that era or someone that had a short prime. And that was the golden age of boxing.

{<jordan}

who could have tito fought that he did not? i think the argument here is post 140 floyd waited for the right opportunity, for whatever reason, to make a fight(hatton is a prime example of floyd seeing that 140 hatton struggled, badly, agaisnt nobody 147 collazo when luis later lost a complete shutout to mosely).
a lot of fihgters back

who could have tito fought that he did not? i think the argument here is post 140 floyd waited for the right opportunity, for whatever reason, to make a fight(hatton is a prime example of floyd seeing that 140 hatton struggled, badly, agaisnt nobody 147 collazo when luis later lost a complete shutout to mosely).
a lot of fihgters back
I like Tito. I was just proving a point.

Im still not understanding the bigger guy argument. Weve seen just as many guys going up in weight win fights as we've seen the bigger guy win. Its a tired and dumb argument. Especially when both guys weigh the same on weight in day.
And please give Margarito a rest, he wasnt beating Floyd Mayweather Jr. at anytime ever in his career. Who else can you guys reach with?
Duran loses to Floyd in relatively easy fashion.

Back