Media Prime GSP and prime Matt Hughes at UFC 65 would get KO by Tyron Woodley

Prime GSP beats any version of Woodley.

GSP was very smart and tactical in every single one of his fights.
That GSP is 25 years old. Even if prime GSP beats Woodley, that aint Prime GSP. Prime GSP, in all likelihood, was Hendricks GSP. The game has advanced tremendously but many nostalgics do not want to admit it and were the variety that thought Royce would choke Hughes.

Nah
He was a lot stronger than guys back then.
He and Tito were already cutting big weight and enjoying 15-20 lb weight advantages in many fights.

No such advantage today and his skill set is completely outdated.
I don’t even know if prime Hughes wins against any of the Top 10.

Hughes would rag doll Colby Covington who is the #1 contender let alone top 10. Not sure how his skill set is so outdated, Strong AF dominant wrestler with endurance. Khabib reminds me alot of Hughes. Up until Khabib's one big shot on McGregor he was considered to have trash striking. Hughes had 35 finishes out of his 45 wins, think he would be capable of beating plenty of today's top welterweights.

Woodley beats pussping and pusspierre on the same night. gtfo here with that 2 weight class bullshit. gsp dry humped every fighter he had to face. His best win was Condit lol and he nearly got ko'd in that. Woodley never was in trouble in any of his title defenses. in FACT he nearly decapitated wonderboy in both fights.
tenor.gif

yea that was gsp's reaction when he was asked to fight twood. omg omg twood too much beeg, powahhh and speed. too maaach. I wanna fight Werth lightweight. thanks. scared and scarred for life like a little bitch lmao. gtfo.

yea that was gsp's reaction when he was asked to fight twood. omg omg twood too much beeg, powahhh and speed. too maaach. I wanna fight Werth lightweight. thanks. scared and scarred for life like a little bitch lmao. gtfo.
Ya he must be scared...

...or he’s simply not interested in a belt he’s already won TEN fucken times, and is looking for other challenges to add to his legacy.

Woodley is not a money fight and GSP is light years ahead of him on the WW ladder, why would he give a shit about that fight lol.

Ya he must be scared...

...or he’s simply not interested in a belt he’s already won TEN fucken times, and is looking for other challenges to add to his legacy.

Woodley is not a money fight and GSP is light years ahead of him on the WW ladder, why would he give a shit about that fight lol.
true.

Woodley would likely KO Hughes with ease, Hughes is a WW legend but his skills were quite limited but enough to rule the division back in the days. GSP on the other hand, one of the most wellrounded fighters ever. Maybe he'd lose to Woodley but most likely not. Seems like people easily forget his loss to Rory which was a dominant performance by Rory, the lesser version of GSP.

Why are so many threads created to discredit the GOAT of the UFC and MMA imo as well?

Probably, yes.

Tyron is terrible style matchup for GSP.

But, people love GSP and view him as the GOAT..based on his accomplishments he probably is top 2 along with Fedor.

GSP said it himself really though, there Is no GOAT. This is a very new sport relative to other long established sports like boxing and Is evolving extremely fast.

Georges is an amazing fighter but there's a lot of guys from the modern era who would give him a lot of trouble, Tyron is a stylistic nightmare for him.

In terms of accomplishments, reign as a champion and such, It's hard to argue against GSP being the GOAT at welterweight and one of the greatest of all time, however..In terms of skillset vs skillset, I'd personally take Tyron over him pretty comfortably.

He's essentially a better version of Hendricks. Faster, more explosive, more power. Better jiu jitsu. GSP wouldn't be able to take him down and the fight would likely be decided on the feet, Tyron isn't a guy you're just gonna Jab for 5 rounds.

GSP is a guy who needs to control the wrestling / grappling..guys he can't do that against he has the most trouble with.

No fight is the same. You can't teleport a fighter from one fight to another and compare performances, it's idiotic. MMA same like soccer has a huge luck factor. That factor is not really luck but the nature of the sport, which means you can play/fight better and still your opponent can capitalize on 1-2 mistakes or can just have a great day where everything is going for them, and you have a shitty day. In soccer it's no big deal because you have dozens of games a year, but in MMA you have 2-3 fights a year and people use this small sample as something serious. To really know who's the better fighter, 2 fighters should fight like 10 times.

Also, this stylistic nightmare myth is also a joke. That works only under the assumption that fighters fight the same every single fight, never evolve and always rely on same tricks. Sure, when it comes to average or below average fighters there might be some truth to this, but a guy like GSP has a 1000 tricks up his sleeve. For some reason, GSP was always able to perform great under pressure. Big deal, he got caught by Serra and lost, shit happens. The Hendricks fight was also a joke because Hendricks was in his prime and juiced to the gills, and GSP wanted a break for a while by that time and his heart wasn't in it and he still did it. Still, per scoring system they had he won narrowly so don't blame GSP, blame the system.

Long story short, GSP would prepare for Tyron individually. It's not a fucking computer game from 1987. where all the fighters have static stats every fight and you learn how to abuse bugs or figure out the AI, people are more complex than that. Humans have good days and bad days, luck plays a factor too, small injuries, your biorhythm etc...it's a multitude of factors. GSP is a superior athlete with a more complete skill set, way more tricks up his sleeve, mentally stronger than most fighters and has proven many times that he can perform under serious pressure. He might have gotten caught against Serra, but he never got fucked in the ass and obliterated like Tyron against Rory. And yeah, they're about the same age, why the fuck didn't Tyron take it when GSP was in his prime...what a joke.

In 10 fights, the strongest version of Tyron has a chance of winning 1-2 fights against the weakest version of GSP because I sure as hell know GSP would take every fight super serious and prepare like never before every time. In terms of MMA years, Woodley is no spring chicken so if he wanted to leave a mark, he should have done it while his division was super strong. A great fighter but also came to his own after most of the best competition was past their prime or retired/took a break. I do think most men envy his hairline though.

pre usada
no head coach woodley
limited striking green Woodley
Woodley wasn't as effective with his movement, counter striking at the time. still learning like a newbie lel and pillow fisted rory still couldn't do anything.
no duke roofus and din

shields did not win a striking match rofl. go watch the fight again. he literally tried and tried to take him down to no avail. tyron landed the only effective strike.
GSP in his prime is unquestionably the best fighter Woodley would have faced in his career.

I don't necessarily think the same came be said for Woodley in regards to GSP.

I don't know if Woodley could have beat the Hendricks GSP faced.

Hughes v Woodley would be a fun fight. I think Woodley wins, but I feel like Hughes gives him some real difficulties.

GSP? As I've said before, depends on how many rounds.

3 rounds = GSP 30-27

5 rounds = GSP 50-45

That GSP is 25 years old. Even if prime GSP beats Woodley, that aint Prime GSP. Prime GSP, in all likelihood, was Hendricks GSP. The game has advanced tremendously but many nostalgics do not want to admit it and were the variety that thought Royce would choke Hughes.
The game can change all it wants, GSP adapted to anyone’s game to beat them in what they were good at or when all else failed, showcased his wrestling skills that damn near nobody had an answer for.

He could be boring at times but it just proved how good he really was because his control was so dominant. I still haven’t seen a champion that can put it all together in the way he did to shut ppl down repeatedly.

Prime GSP certainly wasn’t the one who fought Hendricks after 2 ACL injuries

Out of boredom, I re-watched GSP's and Hughes' old fights, as well as their championship fights against each other. The one thing that was immediately noticeable was how one-dimensional Matt Hughes was, and how GSP was able to easily dispatched him because GSP was the first well-rounded WW of that era. GSP had excellent scramble, takedown defense, BJJ, and dynamic stand-up striking that kept Hughes constantly guessing the whole time. GSP dictated the fight.

With that said, I do not see GSP and Hughes at UFC 65 (in their primes) being able to beat the current Tyron Woodley.

Woodley has the wrestling, 1-punch KO power, super fast counter striking, excellent takedown / takedown defense, great BJJ, and very high fight IQ. He's pretty much like GSP but with more power and less endurance.

Woodley would KO Hughes within 1 or 2 rounds, and GSP might be able to drag it into the championship rounds, but I don't see him being able to handle Woodley's striking and power.

probably.
For MMA evolved since their prime.

HOWEVER, WOodley at that time would not know more than half of what he learned now.

Time passes and fighters evolve.
Training is different.
Food is different.
Everything is different.

In their prime, Hughes or GSP got the job done.
It is impossible to claim Woodley would as well.

Take a look at the men GSP defeated in his prime. Compare that to the garbage this division has right now. Woodley came along after GSP left the division, and began to dominate in a time when everyone that was good was getting old, and nobody new really took their place.

Woodley hasn't dominated shit, are you people morons? Woodley lost to Shields, lost to MacDonald, had a split decision vs Kelvin most people also thought he lost, sat out on a measly 3 fight win streak and waited over a year for his title shot. He beat Lawler but Jesus Christ Lawler at that point had been through near death vs Rory, back to back Hendrick wars and has been fighting two decades nearly going into it. He had a draw vs Wonderboy then a majority decision that was controversial vs Wonderboy, had a starring contest with 41 year old Maia who just scraped a controversial split decision vs a sub top 10 lightweight and then beat up a super green Darren Till who probably should not have been anywhere near a title shot.

Woodley isn't out here dominating the division, kids. He's still got the belt but that's about it.

Back