Media Prime GSP and prime Matt Hughes at UFC 65 would get KO by Tyron Woodley

Unless he failed a drug test, nothing is strong evidence. You can speculate all you want, but all you're doing is fighter bashing with no proof.

Wrong. You don't need to jump into a volcano to know you're going to get burned. You can stay in denial all you want, but anyone that puts two and two together knows.

... and still SDers will find a way to sharpshot all these records to 'prove' GSP beat 'cans'. It's the standard MO. Somehow Fitch was a 'can' when GSP beat him. Though he had the longest winning streak in the UFC at the time, and GSP worked him over. Shields was a huge fight, so was Alves at the time, and Penn.

Doubters either forgot, or weren't even fans during the time. Context is important in MMA, moreso then in pro-boxing where there are numerous belts, and a shitload of fluff fights available.

Finally, on context, remember this - when Hughes was crushing souls, Woodley was still wrestling... in high school.

Hughes wrote the goddamn book for these dudes! I would hope that Woodley, Khabib, DC ect. improved upon the shit he literally perfected at MFS in Iowa doing slaughterhouse style training sessions. Now these dudes have movement coaches, all these different dietitians, back then you think Pat pushed that shit? Sweat it out, fight often, cut weight like you did in high school - sweat it out, lift weights hard, train at 100%, win.

The principals today are the same but fighters today are smarter, better, and faster but these guys laid the ground work. You think the 2016 Pats beat the 1986 Bears? I bet it's a blow out...
the truth tends to lie somewhere in the middle

How many threads like this do you think it will take to finally chase you off Sherdog? I was hoping that after a recent fight the stupidity would slow down.

Out of boredom, I re-watched GSP's and Hughes' old fights, as well as their championship fights against each other. The one thing that was immediately noticeable was how one-dimensional Matt Hughes was, and how GSP was able to easily dispatched him because GSP was the first well-rounded WW of that era. GSP had excellent scramble, takedown defense, BJJ, and dynamic stand-up striking that kept Hughes constantly guessing the whole time. GSP dictated the fight.

With that said, I do not see GSP and Hughes at UFC 65 (in their primes) being able to beat the current Tyron Woodley.

Woodley has the wrestling, 1-punch KO power, super fast counter striking, excellent takedown / takedown defense, great BJJ, and very high fight IQ. He's pretty much like GSP but with more power and less endurance.

Woodley would KO Hughes within 1 or 2 rounds, and GSP might be able to drag it into the championship rounds, but I don't see him being able to handle Woodley's striking and power.

So you are saying that Rory is a better fighter than gsp?

Take a look at the men GSP defeated in his prime. Compare that to the garbage this division has right now. Woodley came along after GSP left the division, and began to dominate in a time when everyone that was good was getting old, and nobody new really took their place.

^^^^

This... the current UFC WW division is a wasteland

Pretty ironic that bellator currently has a better 170 division

he's a better / more natural striker than GSP Is for sure. Overall, no.

Really? Last I checked gsp beat Condit at his best while Rory got finished due to strikes once again by Condit at his best

In fact gsp soundly outstruck Condit (and took him down 7 times) while Rory got finished by the same guy, a guy that is pretty much a striker

Odd right?

HExVI7m.jpg

Really? Last I checked gsp beat Condit at his best while Rory got finished due to strikes once again by Condit at his best

In fact gsp soundly outstruck Condit (and took him down 7 times) while Rory got finished by the same guy, a guy that is pretty much a striker

Odd right?

HExVI7m.jpg
this is some weird / simplistic mma math for someone who's been watching mma as long as you.

I say this to everyone, why exactly are fights from that long ago relevant? Rory fought Condit 8 years ago.

the most current fights will always paint the most accurate picture as to where a fighter truly stands. That was Rory's 2nd fight in the UFC iirc.

Again, very weird..confirmation bias esque mma math.. lol, you're better than that dude.

That said, IIRC Rory did actually outstrike Condit for 2 rounds. Not that It matters but still

As a striker, Rory Is more natural than GSP.

That said again, Woodley today isn't the same one that fought Rory 4 years ago. That was before he started training with Roufus, training his boxing and also training with Ben askren. Completely different fighter.

Last edited:

Odd right?

HExVI7m.jpg
i dunno how you thought that was actually a reasonable thought.. lol

Tyron may not have the resume that GSP has, but there's no denying the fact that hes a stylistic nightmare for GSP

he does everything Georges does but better - his stand up / power is insane, his TDD is insane, his wrestling offense is decent, and he has good cardio / good chin

Gsp has more kos and overall finishes than woodly. Making him the better finisher. Woodly would just run to the cage and quiver in fear of the more dominant finisher (Gsp).

Gsp finished Frank Trigg. Tyron finished Condit.

Wrong. You don't need to jump into a volcano to know you're going to get burned. You can stay in denial all you want, but anyone that puts two and two together knows.

No, i'm 100% correct. I can say GSP was juiced his entire career, doesn't mean i'm right. You have 0 proof and you're trying to base it off his W/L record.

It’s almost like the sport evolves and people learn better techniques or something.

No, i'm 100% correct. I can say GSP was juiced his entire career, doesn't mean i'm right. You have 0 proof and you're trying to base it off his W/L record.

Check it again, I based it on more than his win-loss record. And you can believe whoever was on whatever just as I can.

Back