Media Prime GSP and prime Matt Hughes at UFC 65 would get KO by Tyron Woodley

Probably, yes.

Tyron is terrible style matchup for GSP.

But, people love GSP and view him as the GOAT..based on his accomplishments he probably is top 2 along with Fedor.

GSP said it himself really though, there Is no GOAT. This is a very new sport relative to other long established sports like boxing and Is evolving extremely fast.

Georges is an amazing fighter but there's a lot of guys from the modern era who would give him a lot of trouble, Tyron is a stylistic nightmare for him.

In terms of accomplishments, reign as a champion and such, It's hard to argue against GSP being the GOAT at welterweight and one of the greatest of all time, however..In terms of skillset vs skillset, I'd personally take Tyron over him pretty comfortably.

He's essentially a better version of Hendricks. Faster, more explosive, more power. Better jiu jitsu. GSP wouldn't be able to take him down and the fight would likely be decided on the feet, Tyron isn't a guy you're just gonna Jab for 5 rounds.

GSP is a guy who needs to control the wrestling / grappling..guys he can't do that against he has the most trouble with.

Interesting, Rory was able to jab Woodley for 3 rounds no problem. And Rory is the poor man's version of GSP.

Prime (juiced) Hendricks is better than Woodley. And this still happened.

1462943_10152015667221276_1677199179_n.jpg
Any proof or just fighter bashing?

Tyron got flustered and clowned by the much lesser GSP.

S42PJdR.gif

AmbitiousDimLadybug-size_restricted.gif

OYj7WG.gif

I'd say Rory is more natural as a striker than GSP. He moves more fluidly. Styles make fights.

This was many years ago though, long before Tyron got with duke roufus and started working more on his boxing as well. His game has evolved a lot since then.

Interesting, Rory was able to jab Woodley for 3 rounds no problem. And Rory is the poor man's version of GSP.
read my last post.

Rory Is a better / more fluid striker than GSP.

Styles make fights.

And again, things change In 4 years.

Funny how they are just about the same age, but when GSP was champion Woodley was no where to be found near the top.

Gap jabs Tyron to death. Tyron isn't some amazing striking. Tyron would be trying to take GSP down. I don't think GSP needs to wrestle at all in that match.
Wonderboy and TIll weren't able to. Lawler wasn't able to. All of them are infinitely better strikers than GSP.

Tyron's striking isn't that impressive technically, but he's surprisingly calculated, patient and he waits for openings. Technique isn't everything, it's about effectiveness and at his best Tyron has that down.

Based on what I've seen, It's hard to see GSP just jabbing him for 5 rounds. Tyron isn't Josh koscheck.

his wrestling was better than Woodley's. Woodley is an infinitely better grappler, more power, more speed and explosiveness and overall fight IQ. He doesn't get enough credit, but the guy is very calculated In what he does..especially over the last few years.

Unfortunately it will be a while before he recovers from the blow that the Wonderboy / maia fights did to his public perception.

He is not a star, and his legacy is spotty at best. He’s also older. As soon as he loses the belt he will be quickly forgotten about. He was just the next guy around. Kind of like Larry Holmes after Ali.. Just the next guy around.

Out of boredom, I re-watched GSP's and Hughes' old fights, as well as their championship fights against each other. The one thing that was immediately noticeable was how one-dimensional Matt Hughes was, and how GSP was able to easily dispatched him because GSP was the first well-rounded WW of that era. GSP had excellent scramble, takedown defense, BJJ, and dynamic stand-up striking that kept Hughes constantly guessing the whole time. GSP dictated the fight.

With that said, I do not see GSP and Hughes at UFC 65 (in their primes) being able to beat the current Tyron Woodley.

Woodley has the wrestling, 1-punch KO power, super fast counter striking, excellent takedown / takedown defense, great BJJ, and very high fight IQ. He's pretty much like GSP but with more power and less endurance.

Woodley would KO Hughes within 1 or 2 rounds, and GSP might be able to drag it into the championship rounds, but I don't see him being able to handle Woodley's striking and power.

Casual detected.

No one will remember Woodley in 10 years.

People will still remember GSP in 20 years.

And there is a reason why.

Prime GSP beats any version of Woodley

giphy.gif

He is not a star, and his legacy is spotty at best. He’s also older. As soon as he loses the belt he will be quickly forgotten about. He was just the next guy around. Kind of like Larry Holmes after Ali.. Just the next guy around.
Maybe, but that doesn't change much of what I actually said skill for skill.

Any proof or just fighter bashing?

Hendricks before USADA -
12-3. (Never been finished)
Zero missed weight attempts.
Several finishes (some within seconds)
Massive power, fast speed and very explosive.
Gave the G.O.A.T the fight of his life.

Hendricks under USADA -
2-6. (TKO'd 3 times)
Multiple missed weight attempts
Zero finishes.
Power, speed and explosiveness completely diminished.
Losing to much lesser opponents.

Now this is the part where you respond with several pictures of imaginary marks on GSP's body.

Last edited:
You know the WW division is weak as fuck when Colby Covington is considered the best contender right now.

Casual detected.

No one will remember Woodley in 10 years.

People will still remember GSP in 20 years.

And there is a reason why.

Prime GSP beats any version of Woodley

giphy.gif
GSP at his absolute best could very well win the fight, but It would be a 5 round war and extremely tough if he did.

Styles make fights

I personally don't respect his boxing / striking enough to believe he could outpoint Tyron for 5 rounds on the feet.. which is where the fight would almost certainly be decided. But people are free to believe otherwise.

GSP is absolutely the GOAT at welterweight and an all time great, he will be remembered for generations to come. Measuring skill for skill from varying eras is another argument entirely though.

Out of boredom, I re-watched GSP's and Hughes' old fights, as well as their championship fights against each other. The one thing that was immediately noticeable was how one-dimensional Matt Hughes was, and how GSP was able to easily dispatched him because GSP was the first well-rounded WW of that era. GSP had excellent scramble, takedown defense, BJJ, and dynamic stand-up striking that kept Hughes constantly guessing the whole time. GSP dictated the fight.

With that said, I do not see GSP and Hughes at UFC 65 (in their primes) being able to beat the current Tyron Woodley.

Woodley has the wrestling, 1-punch KO power, super fast counter striking, excellent takedown / takedown defense, great BJJ, and very high fight IQ. He's pretty much like GSP but with more power and less endurance.

Woodley would KO Hughes within 1 or 2 rounds, and GSP might be able to drag it into the championship rounds, but I don't see him being able to handle Woodley's striking and power.

Let's not get carried away. Prime GSP beats Woodley.

According to who?

Prime GSP outclasses Woodley in every department. Better wrestling, better striking, better timing, better fight IQ.

The only advantage Woodly has is power.

Imagine saying the P4P GOAT wouldn't last in a fight against Woodley lol. At best Woodley wins a decision.

Woodley is overrated as fk. Lost to Jake Shields, fought a bunch of GSP's leftovers, has a draw in his first title defense. Won a bunch of split decisions like the one against Gastelum for example..,

There are levels to this. GSP is considered the GOAT for a reason. But there will always be casuals like yourself who thinks new is always better. When Woodley will be out of the picture and a new, dominate WW champion is back the same will be said.

Probably, yes.

Tyron is terrible style matchup for GSP.

But, people love GSP and view him as the GOAT..based on his accomplishments he probably is top 2 along with Fedor.

GSP said it himself really though, there Is no GOAT. This is a very new sport relative to other long established sports like boxing and Is evolving extremely fast.

Georges is an amazing fighter but there's a lot of guys from the modern era who would give him a lot of trouble, Tyron is a stylistic nightmare for him.

In terms of accomplishments, reign as a champion and such, It's hard to argue against GSP being the GOAT at welterweight and one of the greatest of all time, however..In terms of skillset vs skillset, I'd personally take Tyron over him pretty comfortably.

He's essentially a better version of Hendricks. Faster, more explosive, more power. Better jiu jitsu. GSP wouldn't be able to take him down and the fight would likely be decided on the feet, Tyron isn't a guy you're just gonna Jab for 5 rounds.

GSP is a guy who needs to control the wrestling / grappling..guys he can't do that against he has the most trouble with.

GSP took Hendricks down. He took Koscheck down. He is the best takedown artist the sport has ever seen. Against Tyron, it would be no different. Remember, it was an old GSP that faced Hendricks. The question was prime GSP.

GSP’s resume is littered with one dimensional fighters and LWs.
Woodley fought four of the same fighters as GSP and lost to one of them.

Woodley's reign consists of Lawler (striker), Thompson (striker), Maia (bjj), and Till (striker) and you want to talk about one dimension?

Just stop.

Back