Media Prime GSP and prime Matt Hughes at UFC 65 would get KO by Tyron Woodley

MMAart

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score

Out of boredom, I re-watched GSP's and Hughes' old fights, as well as their championship fights against each other. The one thing that was immediately noticeable was how one-dimensional Matt Hughes was, and how GSP was able to easily dispatched him because GSP was the first well-rounded WW of that era. GSP had excellent scramble, takedown defense, BJJ, and dynamic stand-up striking that kept Hughes constantly guessing the whole time. GSP dictated the fight.

With that said, I do not see GSP and Hughes at UFC 65 (in their primes) being able to beat the current Tyron Woodley.

Woodley has the wrestling, 1-punch KO power, super fast counter striking, excellent takedown / takedown defense, great BJJ, and very high fight IQ. He's pretty much like GSP but with more power and less endurance.

Woodley would KO Hughes within 1 or 2 rounds, and GSP might be able to drag it into the championship rounds, but I don't see him being able to handle Woodley's striking and power.

Last edited:
1dxet4.jpg

Tyron was shut out pretty soundly by Rory, and had a frustrating fight with one-dimensional Shields.

Prime GSP beats any version of Woodley.

GSP was very smart and tactical in every single one of his fights.

I own UFC 65 on DVD and appreciate your opinion. However prime GSP simply cannot be beat.

Tyron is a great fighter, but it is hilarious how short memories seem to run on this forum. Have you never watched his fights vs MacDonald or Maia or Shields? And please, spare me any response that those examples don't represent "prime" Woodley - they all do. GSP in his prime is head and shoulders above Tyron.

Woodley would destroy prime Hughes.
Easily.

He’s improved a lot since his early UFC losses, but I think he’d lose a decision to GSP.

I own UFC 65 on DVD and appreciate your opinion. However prime GSP simply cannot be beat.

You're a fellow Fedor fan, and I appreciate your opinion, but prime GSP was proven to be beatable by Matt Serra. GSP cannot stand with fighters with KO power.

Gsp has more kos and overall finishes than woodly. Making him the better finisher. Woodly would just run to the cage and quiver in fear of the more dominant finisher (Gsp).

Tyrone beats all.

If you do not agree.... racism.

The ESPN era is upon us.

GSP beats Woodley if they fight right now much less in his prime. Prime Matt Hughes was a beast but pretty 1 dimensional, however, I think it would still be a competitive fight.

You're a fellow Fedor fan, and I appreciate your opinion, but prime GSP was proven to be beatable by Matt Serra. GSP cannot stand with fighters with KO power.
True GSP had a moment and got caught. However wasn’t Johnny Hendricks knocking people dead and GSP somehow avoided the power.

30 year old GSP crushes 25 year old GSP.

Probably, yes.

Tyron is terrible style matchup for GSP.

But, people love GSP and view him as the GOAT..based on his accomplishments he probably is top 2 along with Fedor.

GSP said it himself really though, there Is no GOAT. This is a very new sport relative to other long established sports like boxing and Is evolving extremely fast.

Georges is an amazing fighter but there's a lot of guys from the modern era who would give him a lot of trouble, Tyron is a stylistic nightmare for him.

In terms of accomplishments, reign as a champion and such, It's hard to argue against GSP being the GOAT at welterweight and one of the greatest of all time, however..In terms of skillset vs skillset, I'd personally take Tyron over him pretty comfortably.

He's essentially a better version of Hendricks. Faster, more explosive, more power. Better jiu jitsu. GSP wouldn't be able to take him down and the fight would likely be decided on the feet, Tyron isn't a guy you're just gonna Jab for 5 rounds.

GSP is a guy who needs to control the wrestling / grappling..guys he can't do that against he has the most trouble with.

Take a look at the men GSP defeated in his prime. Compare that to the garbage this division has right now. Woodley came along after GSP left the division, and began to dominate in a time when everyone that was good was getting old, and nobody new really took their place.

Tyron beats Hughes but loses to GSP imo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back