Prime George Foreman vs. Prime Joe Louis.

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Who would win? Louis could outbox Foreman, but Louis had a weak chin. If Galento could drop Louis, Foreman could KO him.

Foreman via viscous KTFO

Can't see Foreman losing. As great as Louis was Prime Foreman if not beat by the high ring iq of Ali might of gone down as best ever hw imo.

If Max Schelling could finish Louis, Big George would have done the same for sure! Even If George Foreman himself regards Louis as the best heavweight ever!

Louis is the greater fighter career wise, but I can't see him beating a prime Foreman.

if joe fights smart he could win this one, all he has to do is make it to about round 4 and it's his. George had more power, more size, was more brutal and vicious than anyone joe ever saw, not bad speed either. I don't think we should count Joe out so fast, he proved a lot in his career, more than george did in his young years. if ali could knock george down and out, Joe could do it too.

if ali could knock george down and out, Joe could do it too.

Hard to imagine Louis lighting Foreman up with fast hands the way Ali did. Ali was much, much faster.

Also Ali always had a good overhand right, he probably used it more than the straight and that was probably the most effective punch against George period.

I’m not as familiar with Louis but from what I remember he preferred the jab and straight right hand, I find it hard to imagine him outjabbing George who despite his unorthodox punching style had a solid fundamental jab to get things started.

Joe had fast hands, you haven't watched much if you don't know that. His feet were slow, but overall, he was the most complete heavyweight champ out of them all. He was a skilled, smart boxer, he could punch, had power in both hands, had heart. He also fought larger guys than George and practically killed them, of course they didn't have the same speed or skills but the point is, the actual size, strength wouldn't do him in. If George can hurt him early and keep him hurt then he wins, that's how he won all his big fights in those years, never one punch, he'd hurt a guy with a glancing blow and finish him off with mostly glancing blows, looking sloppy as hell in the process. Louis had enough skills to survive an early onslaught and beat him, and he had championship heart. I don't see joe fighting a swarming fight like Frazier did so that wouldn't happen. The only issue is whether joe can weather those early rounds, that's the only question. Ali could because he was calm, relaxed, had a great chin, comparable size and he had a million techniques to make him miss. I don't know if joe had the chin but he had a great chance for sure.

Louis is the greater fighter career wise, but I can't see him beating a prime Foreman.

Yeah the reason this is an ugly fight for Louis is because in today's terms your talking a Crusierweight vs a Heavy weight and one of the hardest hitting heavy weights in pro history.

Louis is of course the more skilful man, but then would you put Floyd Mayweather in with Gassiev? Floyd would get run over, and even though this would be more competitive Foreman would eventually corner Louis and unleash those bombs.

Don’t get me wrong, Louis is one of my all time favorite fighters. Foreman isn’t as big as people make him out to be, he’d have an inch or so and about 15 lbs on Louis which isn’t insurmountable. The problem I see is Louis never faced an animal like Foreman, plus I don’t see Louis having the footwork to stay out of Foreman’s range. Louis didn’t have the greatest chin and was never hit remotely as hard as Foreman would hit him, sure he’d counter and hit Foreman who got wild and off balance, but sooner or later he’d get trapped against the ropes and get hit, and hit really hard... I just don’t see Louis surviving that.

Fantasy matchups between boxers who constantly moved up to get paid vs boxers who were natural heavyweights are always a difficult one to comment on.

Louis was a better boxer than foreman. But foreman was a 6’4” wrecking ball. Put a gun to my head and I’m going with George.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back