Prime for Prime...could Roger be competitive against Serena

McEnroe wasn't trying to be a jerk. He was trying to pay Serena a big compliment as the greatest female player ever. And he got painted into a corner by the interviewer.

It hurts women's sports more than helps them in the long run to be constantly compared to men in ridiculous fashion. Women's sports exist perfectly well in isolation from the corollary men's game. Mixing them and comparing them will always be more to the detriment of female athletes than of male athletes, regardless of the intention.

What's the reason for the heat? Do people disagree with the statement or is it hate speech to state the obvious now? Venus can easily beat over 3,000,000,000 men but she'd have no shot at the best 500 men in the world. Is this really controversial?
The reason--feminism, I guess. It wasn't controversial, and he wasn't even trying to be a dick. He just corrected the lady when she idiotically suggested that Serena was the greatest tennis player ever.

Last edited:
Lmao @ even asking this question.

I'm guessing this stems from the McEnroe comments. Absolutely absurd he's getting any kind of heat from this. Pretty surprised Serena chimed in, as well.
She sure didn't mind when he called her the GOAT player of all time, but clearly intended that within a "Pound 4 Pound" context.

This would be like Mighty Mouse or GSP or Spider fans get butthurt that someone pointed out they are weight class fighters, and don't deserve to be in any sort of discussion for the true GOAT of fighting. Give me a fucking break. These guys are handicap athletes....just like every female pro athlete in every sport in the world.

It's just funny because we don't do this in other sports. Nobody gives a fuck about a sub-6' NBA or sub-200lb NFL, and who the "GOAT" of these leagues is.

I admire these midgets, but let's keep our worship properly ordered with perspective. They tried pushing that Racewalking bullshit on us...nobody cared, and that's perfectly alright, because it makes sense not to care.

Actually disagree with the pay part. Women's tennis is a pretty big draw. And if you're not a fan of a lot of short points, there are reasons to prefer it, regardless of how much better the men are.

Is there another sport in the world where women get the same as men?

It might be a big draw, but it is not anything like 50/50 compared to the men.

Is there another sport in the world where women get the same as men?

It might be a big draw, but it is not anything like 50/50 compared to the men.
When the top women play, or Serena gets deep in the tourney, the stadium is equally filled and the ratings are just as high. In fact, while the American men have sucked the last decade, many women's matches have outdrawn them in the States. And don't forget about all the young Russian beauties people come to see.

I don't think there is another sport where women make the same, but it's the only sport where they earn it with their drawing power.

When the top women play, or Serena gets deep in the tourney, the stadium is equally filled and the ratings are just as high. In fact, while the American men have sucked the last decade, many women's matches have outdrawn them in the States. And don't forget about all the young Russian beauties people come to see.

I don't think there is another sport where women make the same, but it's the only sport where they earn it with their drawing power.

I call BS.

Men's tennis brings in more money than women's tennis. Only market where it is comparable is the US, and that's only because there's been no US male stars for ages.

When Serena retires, the margin will only grow wider.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UK (BBC)

Wimbledon men’s final (BBC) – 9.2m viewers
Wimbledon ladies’ final (BBC) – 4.3m viewers

US (ESPN)

Men’s final most viewed day, despite no representatives from US and Serena competing the day before. 24.4m live minutes viewed – the most ever for a single day of tennis

Australia (Channel Seven)

Wimbledon men’s final– 1.2m viewers
Wimbledon ladies’ final – 700k viewers

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excluding Grand Slams, 395million viewers watched WTA Premier events and finals on TV and digital, compared to 973m for ATP events.

Last edited:
She sure didn't mind when he called her the GOAT player of all time, but clearly intended that within a "Pound 4 Pound" context.

This would be like Mighty Mouse or GSP or Spider fans get butthurt that someone pointed out they are weight class fighters, and don't deserve to be in any sort of discussion for the true GOAT of fighting. Give me a fucking break. These guys are handicap athletes....just like every female pro athlete in every sport in the world.

It's just funny because we don't do this in other sports. Nobody gives a fuck about a sub-6' NBA or sub-200lb NFL, and who the "GOAT" of these leagues is.

I admire these midgets, but let's keep our worship properly ordered with perspective. They tried pushing that Racewalking bullshit on us...nobody cared, and that's perfectly alright, because it makes sense not to care.
100% TRUE, People were saying that he fell for the literal truth instead of saying that she dominated her sport no matter what level at a greater level than anyone. Which is true but when your sport is subpar, who gives a shit.

but you know todays society, gotta kiss that womens ass.

more like could serena be competitive. and the answer is a resounding no. no prime woman ever in her prime would beat a top 50 man in their prime, period. In fact, they would lose much more than they win to any man in the top 200. this may be the most ridiculous question ever posed in here. could a prime serena beat john mcenroe of today? probably. thats a legitimate question. prime vs. prime, not so much

Serena is a disgrace to that sport. Hid from testing and was engineered for out-powering females. She's the Cyborg of WTA. Graf is the GOAT. Both would get 1 game max against Roger.

Serena is a disgrace to that sport. Hid from testing and was engineered for out-powering females. She's the Cyborg of WTA. Graf is the GOAT. Both would get 1 game max against Roger.

Kudos for the Steffi Graf love.

I don't feel so harshly against Serena though.

Is she a bigger disgrace to the game than, say, Novak and Rafa for the same reason?

Kudos for the Steffi Graf love.

I don't feel so harshly against Serena though.

Is she a bigger disgrace to the game than, say, Novak and Rafa for the same reason?
I think the Cyborg comparison is more fitting than to compare her to men vs men. Massive physical advantage over everyone she plays against, and it's dirty as hell in female sports where athleticism isn't as key.

Thanks. I suppose you could say the same about Navratilova, but she wasn't a giant compared to the rest.

I think the Cyborg comparison is more fitting than to compare her to men vs men. Massive physical advantage over everyone she plays against, and it's dirty as hell in female sports where athleticism isn't as key.

Thanks. I suppose you could say the same about Navratilova, but she wasn't a giant compared to the rest.

Fair point.

But I remember Justine Henin Hardene giving Serena fits on all surfaces, and she was a little Belgian waif.

Maybe it's more about skill and mental toughness than you think.

Fair point.

But I remember Justine Henin Hardene giving Serena fits on all surfaces, and she was a little Belgian waif.

Maybe it's more about skill and mental toughness than you think.
It is about what you said. But we got to give Henin credit, she's one of the most skilled players ever. Serena can put on longer streaks because of her physical edge.

Juice or not Serena is incredible. To be at the top dominating for so long especially in the sport of Tennis is remarkable. I'm sure she isn't the only one on juicing, look at Sharapova getting busted. Serena has owned her as bad as anyone can own someone else.

I'm guessing this stems from the McEnroe comments. Absolutely absurd he's getting any kind of heat from this. Pretty surprised Serena chimed in, as well.
Surprised that a sensitive person from Compton chimed in? hehehe

Surprised that a sensitive person from Compton chimed in? hehehe
I mean, she's already been humiliated in the past and admitted she'd get blanked by the top men in the world--so yeah, I'm surprised she took this as anything more than a stated fact.

I mean, she's already been humiliated in the past and admitted she'd get blanked by the top men in the world--so yeah, I'm surprised she took this as anything more than a stated fact.
I think she just has a big mouth, is overly defensive/sensitive and probably feels she is a much better player compared to 17 years ago.

Back