Prime BJ Penn vs Khabib

Who wins

• Total voters
Hard to say: while BJ was more well-rounded, his cardio problem in a 5 Rds fight would be greater than Khabib´s (who also has some serious weight cut issue, bein´ a natural WW> fought more @ WW b4 his UFC run)

I love Khabib, but prime BJ bests him with ease.

also, Prodigy destroys Mcgregor

Penn is also better than anyone Khabib has a win over and stylistically a bad match up for him. Penn also has a two debatable losses to GSP and Edgar.
He’s a stronger grappler with superior cardio. Taking Khabib all day. Penn has no heart either.

I think Khabib would be like Hughes, but less BJJ and more GnP.
While I could see BJ winning via submission, the longer the fight took place, better for Khabib.

If they fought 100 times, I think Khabib could beat BJ more times than the other way around. Because it is far easier to not get submitted than it would be for BJ to not gas.

BJ would quit like he did in the 2nd GSP fight. He doesn't have the willpower to hang with Khabib for the whole fight.

Toss up imo .... Not sure Bj would be able to fight hard for 5 rounds against Khabib

Penn subbing Khabib? LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Newbie detected.

Lol far from newb

Penn was the prodigy dude. You do realise he was able to go to war with the GOAT himself?

Ffs Penn is one of the best WW ever.

Khabib would destroy him.

BJ in his prime fought Georges right, what happened in that one?
well if you´re talkin´about the 1st scrap, BJ literally schooled him in the 1st Rd, to the point No Rush had to go full L&P in the 2nd and 3rd Rds.

- BJ has defended TDs against larger and stronger wrestlers than Khabib.

- BJ is a far superior striker.

- BJ has a dangerous guard game, something that Khabib has yet to face because modern MMA is all about defensive guards and trying to get back to the feet.

- BJ is an overall more complete fighter than Khabib.

- BJ has never gassed at LW.

- Prime Frankie would beat Khabib too.

16-12-2 fighter vs undefeated 27-0 fighter...

Hmmmm, this is a difficult one lol.

:rolleyes:

One fighter has fought top 10 in +90% of his fights as well as challenging top fighters above his weight class and has a record of 11-3-1 in his natural weight class.

How successful were BJ's takedowns? I should really watch their second fight again. Frankie's ability to fight the fifth round almost as fresh as the first will always be one his most potent weapon along with constant movement which goes back again to his amazing conditioning.
I remember it as him nailing both of them. I remember the people I was watching with--newer fans at the time--being shocked, but Penn has always had good takedowns, he showed it in both Pulver fights, against Gomi, and against that title fight against Uno in that fight that was somehow called a draw. Penn was particularly frustrating because he was skilled at so many different things, but he came to rely on just a few of them. He'd show up undertrained and expect his gifts to carry him...sometimes it would work, but then the clock ran out on his career.

How many LHWs and MWs tried unsuccessfully to take Machida down? Penn moved up 4 weight classes and did what Randy Couture couldn't. But Sherdog has clowns that look up some stats on fightfinder and think they know the story.

There is a reason Penn has the mystique he does among long-time fans. On any given night, he was among the very best to walk the earth. From 2007 - 2009, he was incredible, in a deep talent pool facing guys who'd cut from WW and crushing them. He's also been on the shit end of bad judging--Pulver, Uno, and Georges, he could easily be 19-9. He was the last of the go anywhere, fight anyone, at anytime fighters. Lots of people talk the talk now, but then they quibble over money or where the fight is supposed to take place, whatever. Penn is an icon of the sport.

Khabib is a smaller, less well rounded version of GSP.

I'd say Penn that was with Marinovich and had left the island to do camps at the RVCA warehouse would beat Khabib up.

He was fast, knew how to work of off a jab, threw combinations, could strike going forward or back (countering)

This thread is hilarious.

BJ wouldnt have much of a chance.

People act like the techniques used these days are so new but the truth is that wrestling, BJJ and several forms of striking has been around for hundreds, sometimes thousands of years.

What MMA did was cross train it and, by the mid 2000s, we already had modern MMA fighters.

The main thing that has evolved is taking advantage of the rules.

It would have been fun to watch that's for sure. My only concern would be Khabib's relentness and BJ's tendancy to fade as the fight goes on, especially if he is not winning the fight.

Back