PrideFC old timers got a question about p4p rankings when Gomi fought Diaz

That comment was in response to the guy who said he was on a 10 fight win streak before the diaz fight

I like gomi. I just remember not having him that high in the p4p rankings at the time. I think like 5 or 6. Which really is still pretty amazing
And my comment was to correct you being you said something incorrect in your post. No harm, no foul.

And he actually looked pretty mediocre in the rematch too
And yet, he won.. so you are still wrong in what you said earlier. He fought Aurelio earlier in the year and lost, fought him later in the year and won. Facts and made up opinion, are vastly dif.

And my comment was to correct you being you said something incorrect in your post. No harm, no foul.
What was incorrect? That he lost a few fights before Nick? Wasn’t it like four fights before? Thats not that long...

And yet, he won.. so you are still wrong in what you said earlier. He fought Aurelio earlier in the year and lost, fought him later in the year and won. Facts and made up opinion, are vastly dif.
Im not really sure what your trying to argue tbh...

What was incorrect? That he lost a few fights before Nick? Wasn’t it like four fights before? Thats not that long...
Trying to make an excuse for you being a typical casual just shows your age.. next.

There were a lot of Champions in Pride that had fights with fighters in their weight class that wasn't for titles, it was kind of weird

But yea, pretty much everybody on here thought Gomi would light Diaz up, which did happen for a while, but Diaz just seemed to never stop coming forward and eventually got the gogo

I liked that. You would get to see your favorite fighter at least 4 times a year

Not correct being he beat Aurelio two fights before the Nick fight.

Def wrong, as the rematch was for the belt.. two fights before he fought Nick. He fought Aurelio in early 06, non title fight and lost.. fought him later in 06, title fight, and beat him.

Did you people not watch mma back then? He didn't lose to Aurelio two fights before he fought Nick..
Yes, I did watch MMA back then. I've watched it for years(almost 25 now). I'm not the greatest MMA encyclopedia nor have I claimed to be. I know I don't know everything but I know a lot. Gomi wasn't a fighter I watched a ton of but knew of what he was doing around that time. I've watched thousands of fights bro. I along with others make mistakes and acknowledge those who correct them. Thanks for pointing out our hiccups.

Yes, I did watch MMA back then. I've watched it for years(almost 25 now). I'm not the greatest MMA encyclopedia nor have I claimed to be. I know I don't know everything but I know a lot. Gomi wasn't a fighter I watched a ton of but knew of what he was doing around that time. I've watched thousands of fights bro. I along with others make mistakes and acknowledge those who correct them. Thanks for pointing out our hiccups.
And I appreciate you not getting butt hurt, replying very respectfully and mature! And.. your explanation is very direct, clear and you admit being wrong or making a mistake. Right on.

And I appreciate you not getting butt hurt, replying very respectfully and mature! And.. your explanation is very direct, clear and you admit being wrong or making a mistake. Right on.
Lol at this shit.

I posted on mmanews.com back then and people laughed at me for picking Diaz

I just remember watching that fight and jumping off my couch when gomi was throwing hadouken shit. Then nick tagged him good and got the gogo. Still the only time I’ve seen a dude throwing fists and throwing up Gogos lol

I liked that. You would get to see your favorite fighter at least 4 times a year
Yea it was definitely interesting, watching the 205lb champ go toe to toe with HWs on a regular basis is a crazy thought in this day and age

Not correct being he beat Aurelio two fights before the Nick fight.

Def wrong, as the rematch was for the belt.. two fights before he fought Nick. He fought Aurelio in early 06, non title fight and lost.. fought him later in 06, title fight, and beat him.

Did you people not watch mma back then? He didn't lose to Aurelio two fights before he fought Nick..

Um..Lol. Funny comment considering I’ve been here half a decade longer than you at min.

Yeah, it was 4 fights before The Nick fight. I’m sure the win over David Baron was huge as far as P4P slots go. And he didn’t look good in his victory over Maximus in the rematch. Ishida was a solid win though.

I’m sorry you got so butthurt that people just put the # 2 to show the guy he was incorrect in that Gomi had a 10 fight winning streak leading up to the fight. Gomi wasn’t even at his peak anymore. He was during the LW GP. Fell off after.

I feel like his pound for pound ranking was a bit of a gift considering the lack of depth at that weight at the time. I'm not even sure if the UFC had brought back the LW division yet at that point with the BJ vs. Joe Daddy bout.

How the mighty fall, like he’s been out of his prime for almost a decade now... when I try and tell people how good Gomi was in the day I get “ you mean the prelim fighter?”

No one ever took Sherdog P4P rankings srs though, not even back then.

Gomi was highly regarded as a top tier LW and the Diaz hype was non existent at that time. Diaz was a journeyman through and through, Gomi was expected to blow through him at the time even though he came off a poor showing previously.

Back