PRIDE vs UFC ....Evolution of the HW division

FKA

AZ Hotshots/OAK Raiders/That Bellator guy
Banned
Reaction score
Greetings fight fans!!!

I'm back at it again with a HW related post and this time it's a fun breakdown.....yay!

I'm going to compare the UFC and PRIDEs HW division year by year and see who really had the better division until PRIDE shutting down.

Ok let's dive in.

PRIDE had it's inaugural event in 1997 so we will start there.Unfortunately it was the only event held vs like 7 by the UFC but I'm true to my word and will breakdown what's available.

PRIDE Fc 1997 HW roster

John Dixson(3-5) HW jobber
Nathan Jones(0-0)American pro
wrestler
Kazunari Murakami(3-3)Japanese Judoka/Pro wrestler
Koji Kitao(0-2)Former sumo competitor
Gary Goodridge(6-5)Ufc veteran
Kimo Leopaldo(7-2)Ufc veteran
Oleg Taktarov(12-4)Ufc 6 tourney champ.
Dan Severn(20-3)2× ufc tourney champ

You got 3 guys with good rankings and were still very relevant at the time and 1 mid tier guy that was very dangerous,mixed with lesser Japanese draws.Not bad for their first show but the UFC clearly wins the year of 1997 by sheer roster size alone.

At this point the Ufc had been in operation 3 years and had a solid lineup already going.I will list everyone for good measure but trust me UFC wins.

UFC 1997 ROSTER

Vitor Belfort,Dan Severn,Mark Coleman,Tra Telligman,Tank Abbott,Randy Couture,Scott Ferrozzo,Jim Miller,Justin Martin,Eric Martin,Steven Graham,Dmitri Stepanov,Tony Halme,Jack Nilson,Saeed Hosiseini,Maurice Smith,Dan Bobish,Mark Kerr,Moti Horenstein,Brian Johnston,Alex Hunter,Sam Fulton,Dwayne Cason,Greg Stott,Carlos Barreto,Dave Beneteau,Harry Moskowitz,Houston Dorr,Joe Charles,Brad Kohler,Kazushi Sakuraba,Yoji Anjo,Marcus Silveira.

Lots of the top guys and then a lot of not so high level guys mixed in.1997 the UFC was the premier HW division by size and talent but PRIDE made a good first impression.

Next is 1998.......

Back