Pride fighting unofficial controversial thread

I know this thread has been done before but I feel that it is important to remind you all that PRIDE was the greatest MMA promotion of all time. Bas and The fight professor were the best commentators too.

Let’s state all of the facts.
Fedor vs Cro Cop
Shogun vs Rampage
Shogun vs Arona
Sakuraba vs Carlos Newton
Wanderlei Silva vs Rampage 1+2
Minotauro Nogueira vs Cro Cop
Minotoro Nogueira vs Shogun
Minotauro Nogueira vs Fedor
Gomi vs Sakurai

MMA back in the day had the storylines that made you care and the personalities that got you emotionally invested. You mix that with superior ability and the ultimate presentation and you have a spectacle unlike no other.

Let’s all discuss the nostalgic days of MMA where people just fought each other and didn’t have to worry about what USADA has to say.
It was referred to as MMA, but it was more pro-wrestling than actual fighting.

Unsanctioned, unlicensed, no medicals, encouraged drugs, backstage politics, yakuza involvements with swaying bets... etc

It was fun. I had a great time cheering for it. Saku is still one of my favorites.

That being said, we shouldn't be comparing it to what we have today. Obviously that show didn't work out. Yes, it was a show, not a sport.

Not saying the sport is perfect today... far from it... but it IS a sport today.

UFC is more like Pride now than ever before, especially with how little champions defend their titles.

WEC was the best MMA organization in the history of MMA.
Just thought you should all know that.

Unsanctioned, unlicensed, no medicals, encouraged drugs, backstage politics, yakuza involvements with swaying bets... etc

It was fun. I had a great time cheering for it. Saku is still one of my favorites.

That being said, we shouldn't be comparing it to what we have today. Obviously that show didn't work out. Yes, it was a show, not a sport.

Not saying the sport is perfect today... far from it... but it IS a sport today.
But is it a sport? The highest grossing ufc PPV ever was Mcgregor - Diaz 2.

I tell myself the new UFC is the best version ever, but who am I kidding, old Pride blew the doors off the new UFC, and these gifs prove it: violent finishes, better judging, better rule set, no wall and stall, roids up the wazzo and freak fights. We would never, in a million years, see anything like Frye vs Takayama in the UFC.

I almost cried when one of my DVD's from the beautiful 4 disc DVD set PRIDE 2003 MW GP broke into a million pieces (semi finals round).

I have almost every regular PRIDE event. A patchwork of Bushido events.

UFC cards outside the US today have the promoter directly employing officials, whats more many of the same officals that work US events and the UFC themselves are clearly are the dominant force with the potential for influence.

In some ways I felt the Pride situation was healthier because everyone always had an eye out for potential bias which helped to keep them honest most of the time. These days I think the "legitimacy" hype is so strong that questionable decisions are very rarely called as bias.

The big advancement for me is more independent medicals(Pride had them but to what end we don't know for sure) and more garneted payouts for fighters.

Back