Pride 2000 gp, Most stacked tournament ever.

2000 looks most stacked simply for fighters attending. Amount of of tournaments victories of Fighters had, 19 and I have might missed some.

I'm not talking about talen, I'm not talking about what they later accomplisment, or how prime each fighter was. Those fighters were best of the time or hugest names in MMA. Sure there is some multiple tournament winners missing, but I think this tournament has less fighters missing.

Let alone there were 2 goats that were undefeated. Some people considered Royce was invincible. Mark Kerr was considered unstoppable ( igor had stopped Kerr with illegal strikes, knees to the downed opponents head were banned on that event ). And they weren't just undefeated Fighters, they had both 3 tournament victories and they were really considered goats and tbes back then and still now. Also Igor coming with 34 winning streak. So it's not just the name list, it's the things they had accomplished, BEFORE the tournament.

Ok, I thought he was big name at Japan since people were willing to pay to watch him against Rickson.
He is a big name in Japan, but he’s not the GOAT of Japanese Pro-Wrestling. He’s not even the biggest name in Japanese Pro-Wrestling.

For it's time, yes I agree.

Unlike the later GPs,it also had the added intrigue of most of the top guys making their names outside PRIDE, so it's really like a coming together of the world's best.

Wow this threads a mess lol..

Unlike the later GPs,it also had the added intrigue of most of the top guys making their names outside PRIDE, so it's really like a coming together of the world's best.

That's what I been trying to tell, and there really was nothing this big before. So the contrast to the tournaments (which where high class also) is huger than for example 2004 and 2006 GPs. Since there already was this 2000 GP done.

Goat thread imo

That's why Coleman makes strong GOAT argument by winning this tournament.

But at the end of the day, every one who take part in this GP are heroes of MMA, they are true pioneers who made this sport to the level it was at is peak and it is still today. Pride never dies.

That's why Coleman makes strong GOAT argument by winning this tournament.

Not really. He only had to fight twice,and only one of his wins is impressive,and Igor had to be exhausted. I love Mark but he got a bye in the middle,and other fighters who were put in his position probably would have won the tourney too.

Not really. He only had to fight twice,and only one of his wins is impressive,and Igor had to be exhausted. I love Mark but he got a bye in the middle,and other fighters who were put in his position probably would have won the tourney too.
I am also a big fan of "the hammer" but I have to agree with you.

Can't overlook that his match with Fujita only went something like 3 seconds. I haven't watched the GP in years but if I remember correctly Fujita comes out, shoots a double leg on Coleman and then his corner throws in the towel immediately.

I think he was injured in his fight with Kerr but his corner sent him out for the 2nd fight because they were worried about not getting paid if he just dropped out of the tourney injured. I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure I remember reading that.

Anyways, not having to actually fight Fujita definitely helped Coleman's chances in the final. He definitely had a good chance of beating Igor regardless but an edge is an edge.

That is true, but i still consider the argument strong. In tournaments there is always something shady going on so that just happens. Coleman won the tournament, and can be credited.

Igor had beaten Kerr with similar knee strikes, which were later ruled illegal, and fight resulted later as NC. In the ring there started Kerr's fading. You can argue career was destroyed outside of the ring, but if we are here for the fights it seemed like he lost his touch on that Igor fight. Now Coleman ended Igor's winnin streak with those similar knee strikes.

So Igor's winnign streak was over. Also Royce Gracie wasn't undefeated anymore. Kerr had his 1st official loss too, so he wasn't undefeated anymore. I think Fujita injured himself against Coleman's friend Kerr. There is a lot of story content in this tournament. Keep in mind that when Igor faced Saku. Saku have had 1½hour fight against Royce.

So would have Coleman won fresh Igor. We don't know what would have happened, but we know Coleman won the epic gp, and I think that was epic way to win the tournament with all the non-combative things happening on the background and before fights and previous fights.

That is true, but i still consider the argument strong. In tournaments there is always something shady going on so that just happens. Coleman won the tournament, and can be credited.

Igor had beaten Kerr with similar knee strikes, which were later ruled illegal, and fight resulted later as NC. In the ring there started Kerr's fading. You can argue career was destroyed outside of the ring, but if we are here for the fights it seemed like he lost his touch on that Igor fight. Now Coleman ended Igor's winnin streak with those similar knee strikes.

So Igor's winnign streak was over. Also Royce Gracie wasn't undefeated anymore. Kerr had his 1st official loss too, so he wasn't undefeated anymore. I think Fujita injured himself against Coleman's friend Kerr. There is a lot of story content in this tournament. Keep in mind that when Igor faced Saku. Saku have had 1½hour fight against Royce.

So would have Coleman won fresh Igor. We don't know what would have happened, but we know Coleman won the epic gp, and I think that was epic way to win the tournament with all the non-combative things happening on the background and before fights and previous fights.
Yeah I'm with you it was a historic tourney. Igor was the first guy who really hurt Kerr and I think that was pretty much the beginning of the end for him. Coleman and Kerr had alot of similarities but Coleman had something Kerr never did and that was some heart. I'm a big Igor fan but I think there's definitely a good chance that Coleman would have been able to get him down and keep him there regardless. It's weird that they never had a rematch outside of the GP.

Ok, I thought he was big name at Japan since people were willing to pay to watch him against Rickson.
He’s a big name but his talent as a MMA fighter is in question. I’m not sure if ever won a legit fight.

Coleman had to go thru a welterweight Shoji, free pass to finals and fought a worn down small heavyweight in Igor. Sorry but not very impressive considering Coleman was a monsterous 250+ and roided to the gills.

I am also a big fan of "the hammer" but I have to agree with you.

Can't overlook that his match with Fujita only went something like 3 seconds. I haven't watched the GP in years but if I remember correctly Fujita comes out, shoots a double leg on Coleman and then his corner throws in the towel immediately.

I think he was injured in his fight with Kerr but his corner sent him out for the 2nd fight because they were worried about not getting paid if he just dropped out of the tourney injured. I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure I remember reading that.

Anyways, not having to actually fight Fujita definitely helped Coleman's chances in the final. He definitely had a good chance of beating Igor regardless but an edge is an edge.
if fujita wasn't injured i woulda favored him over coleman as well

Coleman had to go thru a welterweight Shoji, free pass to finals and fought a worn down small heavyweight in Igor. Sorry but not very impressive considering Coleman was a monsterous 250+ and roided to the gills.

Also Masaki Satake on 1st round of the tournament. He was legit heavyweight k-1 fighter. But it's tournament. But at the end of they day, Coleman was the only one to win every opponent that was placed in front of him. You could bash every tournament champion that they fought nobodies there. It's really hard to win 16 fighter tournament and usually ppl don't bash the level of competition Royce confronted on UFC tournaments. I still think Coleman had much tougher opponents at Pride 2000 gp than at the UFC tournaments.

Was a hell of a tournament for sure, I own it haha.
yeah me too.

honestly the tourney wasnt as good as expected. reem choked out vitor and igor in lackluster fights, shogun steamrolled page and arona etc.

pretty much the only standouts for me are any fights wand are in and shogun vs lil nog

Back