Prestige cervical disc replacement and grappling/MMA training

Oneiros

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure where else I might post this at, but this seems to be the place for a topic like this. Mea culpa if I'm mistaken!

First, a little background first, to set the stage:

I've been doing fighting and combat sports training since I was 6, so over 35 years at this point, including boxing, wrestling, submission grappling (jujutsu, catch wrestling, and others), and a number of different kicking/striking styles including Muay Thai and Shotokan Karate. Back about 20 years ago, when I was in the military, I sustained a few neck injuries from things like being hit by an M-1 tank while running around in combat during Operation Desert Storm. I've managed to keep in good shape nonetheless, and my martial arts training is what's probably delayed me needing surgery on my bum neck up until now.

But, age and wear catches up with the best of us, so I'm going to be getting a C-5/C-6 disc replacement at the VA using the Prestige artificial cervical disc from Metronic. I've been told by the doctors that afterwards I can kiss goodbye my participation in any sort of contact sports, particularly MMA and grappling. Doctors have been telling me that sort of thing for the past 20 years, because, well, they're doctors and any time you mention being punched in the head or choked out or getting your limbs cranked from jointlocks, they freak out. I also speak as someone who has a background as an EMT, combat emergency medic, and medical editor/researcher, so my knowledge and experience with this sort of thing is fairly extensive.

However, despite a fairly exhaustive search, I haven't been able to find any real, solid anecdotal accounts of other fighters/martial artists' experiences with returning to full activity after specifically getting the Prestige disc.

What I'm wondering is what sort of recovery time did it take to get back to any sort of training, much less full-on, just-short-of-competing training. I don't compete any longer, but I used to do underground NHB back when I was in the military (strictly illegal, of course), and I occasionally do submission grappling tournaments.

Also, if you did have a cervical disc replacement, whether with the Prestige or not, what real-world limitiations were there that have been encountered, if any?

Other than the neck issue, and a well-controlled lower back problem (as long as I stay active and in good condition), I'm in great physical shape (6-foot, 175 lbs, 10 percent bodyfat). Obviously, I'm going to be declining a bit from that due to recovery, but I've got the next two months to ramp it up a bit before I go under the neck-knife.

Any first-hand information from people who have had cervical disc replacements (especially with the Prestige) would be greatly appreciated, so I can get an idea of what sort of challenges I'm facing from folks who have a frame of reference that includes actual fighting/combat sports backgrounds.

P.S.: Please, don't tell me to go look up Tito Ortiz, I beg of you. I've seen everything there is to see on the Huntington Beach Bad Boy's bad neck, and it ain't much help!

Thanks!

Hey, I had the prestige "installed" between c5/c6 in 08. I've been a boxer for 11 years and a wrestler before that. I had to stop taking big shots to the head. Simple as that. The shock of getting hit hard every week was just too risky. Even if i were a professional i would retire. It sucks but it's my reality. I do everything but spar. I train hard. i snowboard like crazy. Mountain bike. surf, whatever. And i have no pain and full range. (knock on wood).

And the recovery time was instant. No neck collar. home the next day. I took it easy for a couple weeks while the neck muscles relaxed. Now I do neck and upper back exercises and i'm good as new. it's amazing and i am very happy i did it.

Before i got the blown disc i kept boxing on it for almost a year. The problem is that if you wait, the bone on bone can fuse all by itself and then you're f****.

Dr Eric Elowitz (spelling) in nyc did mine. Also saw Dr Biton in the city as well. Both are all-stars.

I've been looking into judo and they do some pretty rough stuff on the ground. Personally, i think the neck would be fine -then again, i'm a fighter, not a doctor.

These are my experience, hope this helps. -POPO

Your font. Damn you, sir !

On-topic: What are your doctors recommendations ? I skimmed so I may have missed them.

You did. I chose Dr Eric Elowitz. There's also a french guy, last name Biton. Both are in Manhattan. Both are at the forefront of this type of surgery.

PS: Here's a good site about people who've had this kind of stuff done. It doesn't pertain to fighters but hey, this is really much bigger.

Neck Pain: Cervical Forum

Hey, I had the prestige "installed" between c5/c6 in 08. I've been a boxer for 11 years and a wrestler before that. I had to stop taking big shots to the head. Simple as that. The shock of getting hit hard every week was just too risky. Even if i were a professional i would retire. It sucks but it's my reality. I do everything but spar. I train hard. i snowboard like crazy. Mountain bike. surf, whatever. And i have no pain and full range. (knock on wood).

And the recovery time was instant. No neck collar. home the next day. I took it easy for a couple weeks while the neck muscles relaxed. Now I do neck and upper back exercises and i'm good as new. it's amazing and i am very happy i did it.

Before i got the blown disc i kept boxing on it for almost a year. The problem is that if you wait, the bone on bone can fuse all by itself and then you're f****.

Dr Eric Elowitz (spelling) in nyc did mine. Also saw Dr Biton in the city as well. Both are all-stars.

I've been looking into judo and they do some pretty rough stuff on the ground. Personally, i think the neck would be fine -then again, i'm a fighter, not a doctor.

You may want to rethink the judo. You will eventually land on your head.

Hey how are you doing. I was wondering if you can give me an update on how your disc replacement is holding up. I have just been diagnosed with a herniated disc in c6 and now looking into disc replacement. Any info would really help as I am looking for advise from someone who is not benefiting finainicially (surgeons).

Have you tried waiting it out? C5/C6 herniation is miserable but you can recover with time.

IT has been 8 months now although there is not much pain anymore just annoying aches in the neck and occasional minor pain in the left arm I am very limited to what I can do. Any physical activity irritates it. I am looking to try and return to normal activities again

It took me a few years to recover fully without surgery. Not sure I would do surgery if I didn't have appreciable pain.

But to each his own.

Back