Pressure fighters

Everything J123 said, also I would recommend going for a single collar tie. Grab him round the head with one arm, and use the other to wrap up his power arm. If you want you can break the hole with the arm you've got bicep control with - and you can then alternate between a hook and uppercut.

Another decent way to shut down pressure is to make good use of push kicks. A teep just as your opponent goes to kick will knock them down. Stand light on year lead foot so that you can react quickly, the second you see his leg raise, fire the push kick.

If he forces you to retreat put your lead hand on your face, with your lead elbow pointing out and towards the opponent. This works as a guard but it also will stop him from rushing in, because he'll have to run into your elbow to do it (this is not illegal, there's no rule against him running into your elbow) .

There's no rule against him running into your elbow..........lol

Sorry Ref he ran into my elbow, can't be helped .........that's a bit of a fine line, if it's a fight with no elbows..........the fact you throw your elbow into the position could be misconstrued as an offensive movement and not a defensive......I understand what you are saying but if it results in a KO or a blow that starts the beginning of the end and results in a TKO, there could be some very unhappy people........lol

Bit like accidental headbutts......;)

Or the ;) inside leg kick........

Last edited:
If he forces you to retreat put your lead hand on your face, with your lead elbow pointing out and towards the opponent. This works as a guard but it also will stop him from rushing in, because he'll have to run into your elbow to do it (this is not illegal, there's no rule against him running into your elbow) .
There's no rule against him running into your elbow..........lol

Sorry Ref he ran into my elbow, can't be helped .........that's a bit of a fine line, if it's a fight with no elbows..........the fact you throw your elbow into the position could be misconstrued as an offensive movement and not a defensive......I understand what you are saying but if it results in a KO or a blow that starts the beginning of the end and results in a TKO, there could be some very unhappy people........lol

Bit like accidental headbutts......;)

Or the ;) inside leg kick........

There's no rule banning standing arm triangles either, so you could win by sub. Use a shitty side knee to make it look like he got KO'd from it though.

There's no rule banning standing arm triangles either, so you could win by sub. Use a shitty side knee to make it look like he got KO'd from it though.

Oh I know and I use it in sparring......lol......but Western rules in Muay Thai are not as fun......

A long with kicking a opponent on the ground, as long as the strike is seen to be moving before they hit the floor it doesn't matter if it lands after they hit the canvas.......

Oh I know and I use it in sparring......lol......but Western rules in Muay Thai are not as fun......

A long with kicking a opponent on the ground, as long as the strike is seen to be moving before they hit the floor it doesn't matter if it lands after they hit the canvas.......
Its probably because nowadays 90% of the gyms here are MMA gyms or gyms that have a BJJ program so they'll snitch you out when it happens.

lol @ all the dirty moves, truly a gambling sport.

Can't really fault them sometimes, 0-clinch-knowledge-newbie-101 is escaping the clinch by ducking out, and they end up eating a knee. And thats on them, I was aiming for the body but he gave he his head.

A year back I saw one guy throw a knee and the guy called it a junk shot, didn't look like it so we thought it was him wanting a break. Turns out the kneeer didn't throw knees properly and it was completely vertical to the sky, so the knee slid up the dude's chest, but his foot junked him.

Its probably because nowadays 90% of the gyms here are MMA gyms or gyms that have a BJJ program so they'll snitch you out when it happens.

lol @ all the dirty moves, truly a gambling sport.

Can't really fault them sometimes, 0-clinch-knowledge-newbie-101 is escaping the clinch by ducking out, and they end up eating a knee. And thats on them, I was aiming for the body but he gave he his head.

A year back I saw one guy throw a knee and the guy called it a junk shot, didn't look like it so we thought it was him wanting a break. Turns out the kneeer didn't throw knees properly and it was completely vertical to the sky, so the knee slid up the dude's chest, but his foot junked him.

I remember a guy from a boxing background trying lunging fencer type jab to the body, he dropped his level and got a nice long knee to the face. I would trade body jabs for knees to the face all day long.....lol

Standing on your opponents front foot....... accidentally whilst deliverying a combo.....lol

I remember a guy from a boxing background trying lunging fencer type jab to the body, he dropped his level and got a nice long knee to the face. I would trade body jabs for knees to the face all day long.....lol

Standing on your opponents front foot....... accidentally whilst deliverying a combo.....lol
lol yeah. Its a different game. One of our top guys fought a dude who went for a body hook, and our guy sliced him open with an elbow, didn't even bother to block it. I'm gonna get teared to shreds for this, but I'm with the camp of countering body hooks instead of blocking them.

lol @ the foot. Sure "accidentally". But thats just fighting in the pocket, it should be embraced.

In sparring today I noticed I was struggling against a bigger, southpaw pressure fighter. It was only body sparring which probably made a difference but I don't think it would have helped me at all. I was quite tired but even then, the hooks to the body and kicks as I tried to change angles were landing constantly. What's the best way to deal with this?

Keep the jab and teep in his face, work your angles. How's your clinching? As someone who loves to clinch, when I get guys pressuring me really heavily in boxing range I tend to clinch up to relieve the pressure and score.

Keep the jab and teep in his face, work your angles. How's your clinching? As someone who loves to clinch, when I get guys pressuring me really heavily in boxing range I tend to clinch up to relieve the pressure and score.
I tried to break angles and didn't do too well, not knowing how to against a southpaw but I am working on clinching up

I tried to break angles and didn't do too well, not knowing how to against a southpaw but I am working on clinching up

It's definitely harder if you've not dealt with southpaws that much. One thing to keep in mind is that your right kick should be much easier to land to the body with the open stance, so if he's coming forward throwing bombs at your head he's probably open for the roundhouse. Same thing with right knees, I'm always amazed against southpaws how much easier it is to land long right knees.

Placing the hand by the temple =/= throwing the elbow up. :) Couldn't result in a TKO from that position even if you had your elbow like that and you both ran at each other

Back