Pressure fighters

Kieran_Doc

Scottish
@White
Reaction score
In sparring today I noticed I was struggling against a bigger, southpaw pressure fighter. It was only body sparring which probably made a difference but I don't think it would have helped me at all. I was quite tired but even then, the hooks to the body and kicks as I tried to change angles were landing constantly. What's the best way to deal with this?

its kind of easy to go to the body when you don't have to worry about head shots. I've done sparring like this before and it isnt realistic. I would use the rear body kick, cross and teep.

Last edited:
I don't like pressure. It spikes adrenaline in me and I take it to the ego. Flurry until they back off.

its kind of easy to go to the body when you don't have to worry about head shots. I've done sparring like this before and it isnt realistic. I would use the rear body kick, cross and teep.
There wasn't too much space due to the area we were sparring in but I will remember this when I'm sparring next, cheers.

I don't like pressure. It spikes adrenaline in me and I take it to the ego. Flurry until they back off.
I would flurry but with someone much bigger than me it won't end well because they're always going to hit harder in that scenario. Someone my own size though, I am more than happy to stand and trade with in the pocket.

I would flurry but with someone much bigger than me it won't end well because they're always going to hit harder in that scenario. Someone my own size though, I am more than happy to stand and trade with in the pocket.

Hmm, well this really sounds like a situation that requires side-kicks to the knee, punches to the face or BJJ. Since you can't do any of those, I'd say your best bet is to let them punch out. Good training for evasion I guess.

Pull them in and knee. Work the clinch. Basically learn to stand your ground, and when they breach your space, break them in the clinch

Hmm, well this really sounds like a situation that requires side-kicks to the knee, punches to the face or BJJ. Since you can't do any of those, I'd say your best bet is to let them punch out. Good training for evasion I guess.
It's a shame it was only kickboxing sparring last night as I reckon I could have timed a takedown on him pretty easily.

Pull them in and knee. Work the clinch. Basically learn to stand your ground, and when they breach your space, break them in the clinch
We clichched up quite often and that's sehen I managed to land some of my own hooks from the clinch. The ruleset we were using doesn't allow knees though

We clichched up quite often and that's sehen I managed to land some of my own hooks from the clinch. The ruleset we were using doesn't allow knees though

Shame, because a good long knee as he is stepping in to pressure you usually works...

Shame, because a good long knee as he is stepping in to pressure you usually works...
Sadly we don't use them in sparring too often as they're not allowed in most of the competitions we compete in, but I'll keep it in mind for the times I'm allowed to. Thanks

Sadly we don't use them in sparring too often as they're not allowed in most of the competitions we compete in, but I'll keep it in mind for the times I'm allowed to. Thanks

Is it K1/kickboxing ruleset? Hooks from the clinch is generally a bad idea though, in that position you can't really get much hips into the strike making mostly and arm punch, compared to someone shooting their hips back and firing a knee like a battling ram, but you work with what you have.

In the meantime you should work on "turns" in the clinch, it would off balance your opponent/partner once you have the hang of it, and given then the ruleset you mentioned, it sounds like alot will neglect clinchwork due to that.

Is it K1/kickboxing ruleset? Hooks from the clinch is generally a bad idea though, in that position you can't really get much hips into the strike making mostly and arm punch, compared to someone shooting their hips back and firing a knee like a battling ram, but you work with what you have.

In the meantime you should work on "turns" in the clinch, it would off balance your opponent/partner once you have the hang of it, and given then the ruleset you mentioned, it sounds like alot will neglect clinchwork due to that.
Hooks to the body were really my only option in that scenario as it was body sparring only. In our normal full contact sparring it is kickboxing with leg kicks but no knees. We do k1 rules sometimes but not too often. I never even thought of turning in the clinch, so I'll try and add that to my grappling and to my stand up clinch game.

Learn to tie up. Even if you can't get some good clinch knees by going muay thai style, you can still shut down pressure and wear your opponent out. Ernesto Host used to punch and clutch and even low kick and clutch.

Punch him then immediately clinch. It's what Ali did late in his career, it's what Hoost did to Le Banner and it's what Mayweather did to everyone. Frame and push down on the neck of your opponent with your forearm, and then disappear out the back, or just hold him there till you're broke apart.

Learn to tie up. Even if you can't get some good clinch knees by going muay thai style, you can still shut down pressure and wear your opponent out. Ernesto Host used to punch and clutch and even low kick and clutch.

Punch him then immediately clinch. It's what Ali did late in his career, it's what Hoost did to Le Banner and it's what Mayweather did to everyone. Frame and push down on the neck of your opponent with your forearm, and then disappear out the back, or just hold him there till you're broke apart.
I can usually clinch up well but he's a better grappler than me and I was tired. I use it often against people who are better than me in the close range. Any tips for it or things I can add to clinching?

I can usually clinch up well but he's a better grappler than me and I was tired. I use it often against people who are better than me in the close range. Any tips for it or things I can add to clinching?

Get an underhook on one arm, overook on the other, and physically lift him with the underhook while pulling him down with the overhook. As you do this turn him round. Don't throw him, or lift him round the waist, but twist and bend him round so that you can just off balance him.

You don't need to be the better grappler in order to get the better of the exchanges, if you initiate the clinch you'll be at the advantage to put your weight on him. Also don't be afraid to press your forearm againt his face. Don't be off put by his grappling skill, remember that Holly Holm grabbed Ronda around the waist and dumped the Olympian on the ground like a sack of potatoes.

Get an underhook on one arm, overook on the other, and physically lift him with the underhook while pulling him down with the overhook. As you do this turn him round. Don't throw him, or lift him round the waist, but twist and bend him round so that you can just off balance him.

You don't need to be the better grappler in order to get the better of the exchanges, if you initiate the clinch you'll be at the advantage to put your weight on him. Also don't be afraid to press your forearm againt his face. Don't be off put by his grappling skill, remember that Holly Holm grabbed Ronda around the waist and dumped the Olympian on the ground like a sack of potatoes.
The forearm to the face is one I use quite a lot, despite feeling like a dick doing it. Is there anyway I can hide going for the clinch or do I just go for it?

The forearm to the face is one I use quite a lot, despite feeling like a dick doing it. Is there anyway I can hide going for the clinch or do I just go for it?
1,2, break. Then on throw a "fake jab" which you use to reach out and grab

When they throw combination hands (eg. 1,1,2,3): on the hook, step in to tie up, do not reach. Step in with your feet. Reaching has a tenacity to elevate your chin, you don't want that.

Basically if you can get them to shell up from respecting your hands, then that split second delay use it to grab them. Of course you'd have to pummel to get a dominant position, grabbing from the outside just gives them the double collar.

1,2, break. Then on throw a "fake jab" which you use to reach out and grab

When they throw combination hands (eg. 1,1,2,3): on the hook, step in to tie up, do not reach. Step in with your feet. Reaching has a tenacity to elevate your chin, you don't want that.

Basically if you can get them to shell up from respecting your hands, then that split second delay use it to grab them. Of course you'd have to pummel to get a dominant position, grabbing from the outside just gives them the double collar.
Thanks. The next sparring I'm doing is against some boxers on Friday so I'll see how that goes and try and use your advice on the clinch

Everything J123 said, also I would recommend going for a single collar tie. Grab him round the head with one arm, and use the other to wrap up his power arm. If you want you can break the hole with the arm you've got bicep control with - and you can then alternate between a hook and uppercut.

Another decent way to shut down pressure is to make good use of push kicks. A teep just as your opponent goes to kick will knock them down. Stand light on year lead foot so that you can react quickly, the second you see his leg raise, fire the push kick.

If he forces you to retreat put your lead hand on your face, with your lead elbow pointing out and towards the opponent. This works as a guard but it also will stop him from rushing in, because he'll have to run into your elbow to do it (this is not illegal, there's no rule against him running into your elbow) .

Back